Steve Mueske    170

About three years ago, I announced that I'd be doing a collaboration with J.L.Smith, who is one of my musical idols. I had no idea at the time it would take so long to finish. I've posted very early versions here, but here is the first "final" mix. It's written in 13 edo (13 notes per octave). The initial programming was done in Orion 8.6. Most sound design and all mixing and mastering was done in Reaper.

• Like 3

Oswlek    83

Very interesting.  There are some times when the music avoids a resolve or the upper melody seems to contrast what the bass notes are doing, which I presume has to do with the 13 edo.  

How does that work, BTW?  Are there additional intermediate notes?  Does the scale go higher than what would normally be considered an octave?

Steve Mueske    170

Oswlek, thanks for listening and commenting. In standard tuning, the octaves are 1200 cents apart. Divided by 12 steps, each step is 100 cents. In 13 edo, the octaves are still 1200 cents apart, but there are 13 steps, or a little over 92 cents each. It's a very odd and difficult temperament because there are no familiar intervals or chords. Smaller intervals sound flat and larger intervals sound sharp. Don't confuse temperament with scale, though. For example, in standard tuning, most scales are 8 notes. But you can have varying subsets (pentatonic, for example). There are non-octave temperaments, but every edo is an equal division of 2:1, which is always 1200 cents. I hope I haven't been terribly confusing

There is more info here, if you're curious. http://xenharmonic.wikispaces.com/13edo

crystalsuzy    83

Well I must say, this is really usual, which I like :001_cool: It evoked quite a mix of emotions, one of which reminded me of watching a movie like 'The Omen', so it felt a little scary :o

Other parts reminded me of a SF movie, but generally, it made me feel a little uneasy :w00t: I guess, just not being used to the 13 note scale, but I quite liked it, because I kept going back for another listen [smiley=hippy.gif]

Richard Tracey    252
On 13/04/2017 at 0:08 AM, Steve Mueske said:

About three years ago, I announced that I'd be doing a collaboration with J.L.Smith, who is one of my musical idols. I had no idea at the time it would take so long to finish. I've posted very early versions here, but here is the first "final" mix. It's written in 13 edo (13 notes per octave). The initial programming was done in Orion 8.6. Most sound design and all mixing and mastering was done in Reaper.

Hi Steve - I'm really liking this one. It really keeps the old grey matter working with some excellent sounds and off kilter playing. This is the kind of music I listened to a lot years ago and I really enjoy listening to your music as this is not the norm for now, but it is refreshing to listen to.

The mix and production sound excellent and I can't find anything to fault.

starise    368

This seems a really exotic brand of electronica, mainly because of the odd scale. I think the alternate tuning gives it more interest. It seems to "play down" as opposed to playing neutral or playing up. The bass theme has a more downward motion. Very mechanical ,which is probably what you were shooting for.

Great mix and programming work!

Steve Mueske    170

Crystalsuzy, I like when a listener is transported somewhere else! That's what I want to happen. You're right, microtonal music is hard to adjust to, but the worlds it can open up are remarkable. I still work in standard tuning as well, but every time I try a new tuning, it's almost like starting from scratch, like exploring the unknown.

Richard, thanks for stopping by. Jon is amazing, and our styles and approaches are very different, so it was a unique opportunity to get to work with him. Originally we were going to do an EP, but I don't think that'll happen. I'll count myself blessed if we can do one more.

Starise, Jon describes his style as "angular" and he likes to work more by putting in everything but the sink and then cutting down, whereas I like to work fluid and spare and build up. I learned a lot by working with him. It was completely open and we each could do whatever we liked, though I did the final "assembly" and mix. He's forgotten more than I'll ever learn about microtonal music.

Edited by Steve Mueske

Matthew76    232

Welcome in the future;)!

Always so cool to listen this original and amazing compo...

Great work on the sound again...

Brilliant and... brilliant;)...

Well done for this, Steve!

starise    368

It's pretty clear you really respect John Smith. I was curious about him and attempted to google him. Unfortunately he has the same ailment I do, He's a Smith. There are only two million John Smiths on Google. If you get the chance, can you post a link to his music? Thanks.

Steve Mueske    170

Matthew, you are so kind. Thank you. I can't tell you that enough.

Starise, one of my favorite albums is Angels and Ions, which you can grab here:

http://micro.soonlabel.com/0-hosted-albums/angels.html

He has several albums hosted in the Internet Archive, as well as a shitload of classical "interpretations".  He's not consistent with his name. Sometimes "Jon L Smith" sometimes "J.L.Smith" sometimes "JLSmith" etc. He's the only microtonal one, though (I think). There are no interviews, publicity, or anything I know of. He's very humble.

starise    368

Thanks Steve. I'll check him out. I really like the humility part. He's good but he isn't cocky at all. Many gifted people are very private people.

This is so different from the kind of music I listen to but I'm still very intrigued by your style :)

Steve Mueske    170

Thank you, Sreyashi!

HoboSage    1,909

Cool! FWIW, I want the kick to pound heavier. :)

• Like 1

Steve Mueske    170

Hey, David! Many thanks for listening. Hope you are well.