emilyandersonmusic

(Why Do I) Care What You Think

Hello! This is a new song I'm playing with. It came together pretty quickly -- I threw this recording together this evening. Any comments/suggestions/critiques are welcome! 

It doesn’t matter if you know me

Don’t say a word, pretend you can’t see

I glared at you but didn’t see you

And now you think I’m always angry.

I didn’t mean it, had a bad day

I didn’t know that I was staring

I was frustrated at the things in my brain

A hectic morning and a late day.

I could tell you that I’m sorry, try to make amends

Why do I care what you think?

I don’t know you, you are not my friend

Why do I care?

It’s not my problem but I’ll smile, anyway

Next time I see you in the elevator

Just to be sure that I don’t hurt you again

Fragile stranger, just like me.

(but) Why do I care what you think?

Fragile stranger, I know how you feel, I never, meant to, hurt you

Why do I care?

• Like 4

Very interesting song... this kind of sound reminds of the work of a certain contemporary singer named Melanie Martinez (maybe you've heard of her?). As usual, your voice is the clincher :)

Maybe it can be made to sound a little sharper against the music (there's a little bit of edge that this song can build up on... not sure whether it's the voice or the musical arrangement or both)? I also feel that a little more punch to the phrasing technique can take this song to a different level.

• Like 2

Steve Mueske    173

I listened very late last night (early this morning), but it was too quiet in the house to do a lot of typing. It's the first time I've heard one of your songs. The first thing that struck me was the beautiful character and uniqueness of your voice. The second thing was the cool chord progressions and display of confidence. A very quirky sounding combination, but in a very good, rare, and unique way. I think some of the lyrics early on caused you to rush the singing in a slightly awkward way, but you found your pocket as the song progressed. My suggestion would be to look for easier (though still unique) ways to phrase your lyrics, whether by simplifying a word here and there or by shortening a few lines. I think you have something remarkable going and will be following your news as closely as I do a few others around here. Very nice work!

• Like 1

Blupa    46

Emily,

Lovely song! One suggestion: add some distortion to what's going on in the back. It would be a nice contrast to your silky voice. Now everything is silky. Listen to Portishead. Well, it's a matter of taste, I know. Still..

I do love it though :)

Cheers, Geir

• Like 1

brycebad    24

Hey Emily! I liked this song a lot!! I heard the other song you posted on here a while back and I like this one more! I think your song could benefit from just a touch of reverb and some focused echoes (like snipping the end of certain words and echoing only them). But structure-wise and performance-wise, its beautifully done!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sreyashi Mukherjee said:

Very interesting song... this kind of sound reminds of the work of a certain contemporary singer named Melanie Martinez (maybe you've heard of her?). As usual, your voice is the clincher :)

Maybe it can be made to sound a little sharper against the music (there's a little bit of edge that this song can build up on... not sure whether it's the voice or the musical arrangement or both)? I also feel that a little more punch to the phrasing technique can take this song to a different level.

Thanks! Yes, I think i have heard of Melanie Martinez! I believe I stumbled upon a music video of hers on youtube previously.  Thanks for the suggestion! I will work on "punch" to the phrasing.

5 hours ago, brycebad said:

Hey Emily! I liked this song a lot!! I heard the other song you posted on here a while back and I like this one more! I think your song could benefit from just a touch of reverb and some focused echoes (like snipping the end of certain words and echoing only them). But structure-wise and performance-wise, its beautifully done!

Hmm. interesting. the only echo I have is on the keyboard sound at the end of the song. I like the idea of putting that in a few more places. thanks for your input!

7 hours ago, Steve Mueske said:

I listened very late last night (early this morning), but it was too quiet in the house to do a lot of typing. It's the first time I've heard one of your songs. The first thing that struck me was the beautiful character and uniqueness of your voice. The second thing was the cool chord progressions and display of confidence. A very quirky sounding combination, but in a very good, rare, and unique way. I think some of the lyrics early on caused you to rush the singing in a slightly awkward way, but you found your pocket as the song progressed. My suggestion would be to look for easier (though still unique) ways to phrase your lyrics, whether by simplifying a word here and there or by shortening a few lines. I think you have something remarkable going and will be following your news as closely as I do a few others around here. Very nice work!

Thanks for letting me know what you think. You should have heard this when I first put it down -- It actually had a lot more words in it. I can try to cut out a few more. Glad you liked it for the most part! thanks for your thoughts and compliments!

6 hours ago, Blupa said:

Emily,

Lovely song! One suggestion: add some distortion to what's going on in the back. It would be a nice contrast to your silky voice. Now everything is silky. Listen to Portishead. Well, it's a matter of taste, I know. Still..

I do love it though :)

Cheers, Geir

Yes, I like Portishead. I've been compared to that band before, though it was one band I didn't listen to a lot in my formative years. I will think about some more distortion in the arrangement. Thanks for your thoughts!

ImKeN    272

Another awesome song, Emily (@emilyandersonmusic). I thought the phrasing was quite fun to listen to and I really liked the harmonies you came up with in the bridge - not only did it allow me to take a vacation from the rest of the song, it sent me back in a time machine. Brilliant work!

Ken

• Like 1

you have a really beautiful voice im not a big fan of the genre but i enjoyed your singing 

• Like 1

Richard Tracey    275
On 14/04/2017 at 4:55 AM, emilyandersonmusic said:

Hello! This is a new song I'm playing with. It came together pretty quickly -- I threw this recording together this evening. Any comments/suggestions/critiques are welcome! 

It doesn’t matter if you know me

Don’t say a word, pretend you can’t see

I glared at you but didn’t see you

And now you think I’m always angry.

I didn’t mean it, had a bad day

I didn’t know that I was staring

I was frustrated at the things in my brain

A hectic morning and a late day.

Why do I care?

It’s not my problem but I’ll smile, anyway

Next time I see you in the elevator

Just to be sure that I don’t hurt you again

Fragile stranger, just like me.

Fragile stranger, I know how you feel, I never, meant to, hurt you

Why do I care?

Hi Emily - always nice to listen to one of your songs. I love the character in this one and your singing and phrasing is lovely.

I know someone mentioned about Portishead and I think that might be the use of the organ sound and the playing. You don't sound like Beth, but with that sound and your voice, they make a very interesting combination.

There are few points in the song where they vocals need tightened up and there are maybe too many words for the melody, but these are things you can tweak as you are building the song up.

• Like 1

starise    398

You have a wonderful voice. I hurt just thinking about trying to sing that high. I can hear a possible call and answer to augment/offset the higher voice, like another person coming in here and there with a lower voice or even some kind of sfx or hook. That's just me. Disclaimer- Anything I say is only my opinion and should not be held against me :)

I love the uniqueness of your voice. I might work with the mix a little more. I understand it was a quick take and you aren't done with it. There are probably a lot of things you could do, directions you could go with this. It's really up to you. 

Where you sing " I am frustrated at the things in my brain". It seemed slightly crowded to me. Removing "the" from it wouldn't change the meaning, and this can apply to a lot of sentences in lyrics. Removing "the"  doesn't usually change the meaning....says he who flunked english class.

• Like 2