• Announcements

• Songstuff

New Chat App   06/02/2017

We have a new chat app available. You will need to sign up for it. You can pick up the invite link at the top of your member hub page:   http://forums.songstuff.com/member/hub/   Remember to use your Songstuff registered email and user name when you sign up! Using the invite link will automatically add you to the Songstuff chat channel.

30 posts in this topic

**** I DID A LITTLE WORK ON THIS EARLIER - ADDED SOME EXTRA INSTRUMENTATION AND BASS (FOR STEVE). I HAVEN'T RE-RECORDED THE VOCALS YET, BUT INTEND TO DO THAT NEXT AT SOME POINT THIS WEEK.

I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY COMMENTS ON THE NEW MIX AND EXTRA INSTRUMENTATION... CHEERS 

THE NEW MIX IS FURTHER DOWN THE PAGE - WILL KEEP THE ORIGINAL HERE, IF ANYONE WANTS TO HEAR THE DIFFERENCE ****

Hi all - this track is composed using the new Output Analog Strings and drums by Battery 4 (not really happy with them listening back).

I will be adding more instrumentation and harmonies, but just looking for opinions so far. It is deliberate that I have kept the same pattern going throughout with slight changes. (Once I had got this far, I thought it was sounding like something else - if you have heard Dream To Sleep by H2O or Something Good by Paul Haig - you may think it sounds familiar!!! :huh:)

Hope you like...

https://soundcloud.com/moodman-1/i-know-15042017-2115/s-pYc2E

I KNOW (music/lyrics by Richard Tracey)

If there was a little moment

For me to be by myself

Then I would take it

Every once in a while

If there was a little time

That I could put aside for me

Then I know I would be

A better person for it

I know

I know

If there was a little high

To go with all of the lows

Then I know I could

See the clearing from the trees

I know

I know

If there was a little feeling

In amongst all the pain

Then I know I'd live

The life I'd want for me

I know

I know

All the little things that make me feel this way

All the little things that I need to do today

I know

I know

I know

3 people like this

Hey Richard, you know, it does sound similar to those songs you mentioned but it's not an exact copy so I wouldn't care too much about that.

Very bright-sounding strings, is it mixed with some distortion or is it combined with a synth-like/reverse-effect, sound? Anyway, it sounds good!

A good song idea and I like the "I know" hook, it sounds very catchy to me. Are you using a delay effect on it? If you are, then I'm thinking have it repeat a couple more times and while it is doing that maybe you could add some "ooh's" and/or "oh's" in between the "I know" bars? Also, the measure between the "I know's" sounded best the first time you did it - there was at least 4 counts separating them and it sounded just right to me. One more thing, the harmonica-like instrument sounded a little loud to me and I couldn't focus on the singing of the bridge, so you might wanna revisit the part and have a listen again?

That is my current take on your song, Richard. Looking forward to hearing more fresh sounds from your new plug-ins.

All the best,

Ken

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, ImKeN said:

Hey Richard, you know, it does sound similar to those songs you mentioned but it's not an exact copy so I wouldn't care too much about that.

Very bright-sounding strings, is it mixed with some distortion or is it combined with a synth-like/reverse-effect, sound? Anyway, it sounds good!

A good song idea and I like the "I know" hook, it sounds very catchy to me. Are you using a delay effect on it? If you are, then I'm thinking have it repeat a couple more times and while it is doing that maybe you could add some "ooh's" and/or "oh's" in between the "I know" bars? Also, the measure between the "I know's" sounded best the first time you did it - there was at least 4 counts separating them and it sounded just right to me. One more thing, the harmonica-like instrument sounded a little loud to me and I couldn't focus on the singing of the bridge, so you might wanna revisit the part and have a listen again?

That is my current take on your song, Richard. Looking forward to hearing more fresh sounds from your new plug-ins.

All the best,

Ken

Cheers Ken - I've only scratched the surface of the presets on Analog Strings (it will be great for instrumental soundtrack music), but I'm not sure of distortion/reverse effects as I kept them the way they were. I'll have a look. I just started working with it yesterday and one of the sounds had me playing nearly all this track, with the first 2 verses and hook coming together in a minute (i was singing as I played and stuck with the first thing that came out).

I am going to muck about with other voices or sounds over the top of the hook and I was doing a kind of 'ah' sound, but might try 'ooh' to see how that sounds. I want it to be a kind of hypnotic rhythmic sound complimenting the 'I know' part. I did 2 different versions of the hook to see which one sounds better and I do prefer the first, so I'm glad you liked that one more.

I'll have a look at the levels, as I felt the vocals were a bit further back than they sounded on my recording headphones, when I listened back on my normal headphones.

Thanks for listening. I actually need to finish some of these songs and stop coming up with new ideas. I have one track with 6 rough sketches on it from playing around with Signal and Blue 2.!!!!

R

edit - Ken I've listened this morning with fresh ears and you are spot on, the synth on the bridge is too high in the mix. Thanks for pointing that out.

1 person likes this

Wow, I can't even tell the difference between a harmonica and a synth...how tragic is that!? :sweatdrop:

I heard that Blue2 can perform some really crazy things! I've only just started using Alchemy in Logic so I'm learning the basics, right now - so many buttons and nobs to learn about.

Listening to the vocals again on the same earphones, the "I know's" do sound a little quiet in the mix.

Looking forward to hear the updates.

Later man.

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, ImKeN said:

Wow, I can't even tell the difference between a harmonica and a synth...how tragic is that!? :sweatdrop:

I heard that Blue2 can perform some really crazy things! I've only just started using Alchemy in Logic so I'm learning the basics, right now - so many buttons and nobs to learn about.

Listening to the vocals again on the same earphones, the "I know's" do sound a little quiet in the mix.

Looking forward to hear the updates.

Later man.

Hi Ken - I'm working on this at the moment, adding some bass for bottom end and raised the vocals a bit as they were too low.

Blue 2 is really good - I am waiting till it's on sale though, as I just bought the 2 Output vsts and can't justify the extra this month.

Alchemy is excellent - I had it when it was CamelAudio, before Apple bought it. There are some fantastic presets to start you with and tweak if you want.

You should have a look at the Output stuff - I really want Rev, which is a reverse engine that a lot of the hip/hop / dance guys and gals use. They also do one which is all just voices, but it sounds amazing.

i  like the strings they have got a nice positive sound to them. great singing and overall great song bro! good work

1 person likes this

Thanks ALO - really impressed with Analog Strings, every time I try another preset, I'm coming up with another idea though... it is a pain!!!!:D

I really like your mix on this one.  Very good separation on the strings, They just kind of envelope you.  Very Warm feeling!  The electronic bass drum was a excellent choice.  It gives the track a "modern" feel within the realm of the "traditional" sounding strings.

20 hours ago, Richard Tracey said:

I will be adding more instrumentation and harmonies

I don't think you should add too much more as far as instruments.  I know when I try to add too many things into a track I just end up with sonic mush which turns into a  mixing nightmare.

And your voice with the wonderful accent, ( and that's coming from a Yank's perspective mind you:D)   I wish I could sound so well.

Excellent composition!

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, moptop said:

I really like your mix on this one.  Very good separation on the strings, They just kind of envelope you.  Very Warm feeling!  The electronic bass drum was a excellent choice.  It gives the track a "modern" feel within the realm of the "traditional" sounding strings.

I don't think you should add too much more as far as instruments.  I know when I try to add too many things into a track I just end up with sonic mush which turns into a  mixing nightmare.

And your voice with the wonderful accent, ( now that's coming from a Yank's perspective mind you:D)   I wish I could sound so well.

Excellent composition!

Kind of reminds me of david bowie/wolf alice/bastille.. really interesting track. I feel like the "i know" should be really emphasized.. loud vocals.. layers.. reverb (i think some sort of delay/reverb/effect would sound really good on it)

The synth around 2:15 is a little weird.. and doesn't seem to fit for me personally, maybe its just a matter of mixing and blending it in more

2:45 also seems a bit improved.. which it could have very well been! but if it wasnt, just try to make it more concrete

1 person likes this

Hi all - thanks for all your comments so far (for those I haven't replied to - I will).

I just wanted to post an updated version of the track - slightly different mix and added instrumentation - I haven't done anything with the vocals and intend to re-do them this week.

@Steve Mueske I added the bass, hope it works.

Any comments, will be very much appreciated - hell I might even finish this one (right @john!!!)

https://soundcloud.com/moodman-1/i-know-16042017-2312/s-cuRAR

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, moptop said:

And your voice with the wonderful accent, ( and that's coming from a Yank's perspective mind you:D)   I wish I could sound so well.

Excellent composition!

Hey moptop - thanks very much for the kind words. I absolutely love this VST and have had so many new ideas trying out the presets. The mix on this has been slightly changed now (see above), but hopefully it still works. I'm glad the electronic drum is working, I quite like the sound of this one.

I have added some extra instruments, but the track is only at 14 tracks and 4 of them are the vocals split up, so it isn't very many. Hope it doesn't sound too mushed up;)

Re the voice - the Scottish accent can be a difficult thing in a song - some people like it, others hate it. I think it depends how you sing.

Cheers

R

5 hours ago, Jenn said:

Kind of reminds me of david bowie/wolf alice/bastille.. really interesting track. I feel like the "i know" should be really emphasized.. loud vocals.. layers.. reverb (i think some sort of delay/reverb/effect would sound really good on it)

The synth around 2:15 is a little weird.. and doesn't seem to fit for me personally, maybe its just a matter of mixing and blending it in more

2:45 also seems a bit improved.. which it could have very well been! but if it wasnt, just try to make it more concrete

Hi Jenn, if I could sound a tiny bit like Bowie, I would be a happy man. I will be looking to do something with the "I Know" part, I am thinking harmonies and sounds, layered up with some reverb - just need to find the time to get an idea together for it.

I have pulled the synth back in the mix, so hopefully it doesn't sound too bad now - I really like the sound of it, but it was too high.

Cheers for your comments.

R

Great job on this one so far Richard! I keep wanting to hear some Enyaesk female harmony in the chorus. Great stuff.

1 person likes this

23 hours ago, starise said:

Great job on this one so far Richard! I keep wanting to hear some Enyaesk female harmony in the chorus. Great stuff.

Ha ha, I think I would need someone to kick me where it hurts to get that high in the vocal range now:lol:

Yes even pulling my shorts up really tight I can't do it. :D

If you could draft a real female that would be better. or use a vox library. Not that you need it really, just one of those passing thoughts that usually turns to smoke and blows away.

1 person likes this

Brings back memories of the days of me and my Juno-106 listening to the likes of Heaven 17, Yaz, OMD, Ultravox, etc...but I digress. (speaking of Ultravox, have you seen "13 Reasons Why" on Netflix? The line in your signature was played during a poignant scene...not a feel good series but had some great 80s tracks, again I digress)

I liked your song for the 80s vibe, you did a great job recreating the style with the synth/strings hits. I think the verse/chorus became repetitive quickly and the bridge came too late to save it. Your voice does fit really well with the style and I bet your voice and singing has a lot of potential to be really good. Overall, I dug the really light and airy tune carrying themes of introspection and self-awareness while feeling helpless...kinda like the 80s.

1 person likes this

I love 80's Newave type of songs.  It's lacking the catchiness of the 80's though.  The vocalist does not stand out as impressive, not the lyrics.  I dig the overall sound though

On 23/04/2017 at 5:57 PM, kenapayne said:

Brings back memories of the days of me and my Juno-106 listening to the likes of Heaven 17, Yaz, OMD, Ultravox, etc...but I digress. (speaking of Ultravox, have you seen "13 Reasons Why" on Netflix? The line in your signature was played during a poignant scene...not a feel good series but had some great 80s tracks, again I digress)

I liked your song for the 80s vibe, you did a great job recreating the style with the synth/strings hits. I think the verse/chorus became repetitive quickly and the bridge came too late to save it. Your voice does fit really well with the style and I bet your voice and singing has a lot of potential to be really good. Overall, I dug the really light and airy tune carrying themes of introspection and self-awareness while feeling helpless...kinda like the 80s.

Thanks Ken. No, I've not seen that programme, but heard a lot of good things, so might give it a try, especially if it has Vienna on it.

This was a very quick track that I threw together and probably needs a bit of work with the dynamics etc. The vocals were the first take to give me an idea of the melody etc. Once I am happy with the lyrics and how it flows, I will be recording it properly.

1 hour ago, Dallon426 said:

I love 80's Newave type of songs.  It's lacking the catchiness of the 80's though.  The vocalist does not stand out as impressive, not the lyrics.  I dig the overall sound though

Hey Dallon, welcome to the site. Having grown up in the 70's and 80's and living that music every day, I tend to compose music in that style. I will disagree about the catchiness, as that is a very subjective thing, but I am my own worst critic and even I think this track is catchy. To me it is like an ear worm that I can't get out of my head.

The track is nowhere near finished and only took about an hour to get to this stage. The vocal is a temp first go to get the feel for the melody etc and I still need to work out want I want to do around the chorus part, so hopefully once I record properly you might not think the vocal is un-impressive (again a very subjective thing as we aren't going to like the same vocals as others).

I'm glad you like the overall sound though.

You have a brilliant voice, Richard... It gives so much to your work...

And you manage to create cool melodies...

This one is great...

Hope you will finish the other piece called "Guiding Light"... This one is fantastic, I find...

1 person likes this

Richard.

In my critiques, I often harp about how folks should show a lot more courage with regards to their vocals, and just let the natural strength of a performance do the work, instead of burying what they perceive as bad performance or a bad sound under a heavy layer of effects. Not that effects are bad... they just work best when they are used only to enhance what is already there. I can't recall the number of times I've typed; "...you have a fine voice... why are your hiding it under all those heavy effects?"

Rich, you have a fine voice, It's refreshing to actually HEAR it, and not hear just a lot of worthless effects.

Now I can point to this work as a prime example of what I have been talking about. Nicely done.

Reminds me a lot of the vibe of songs i love from the movie sound track for "The Breakfast Club". Songs like " Don't You Forget About Me"... I like that about this.

Cool tune. Very original. The vocal is signature quality.

1 person likes this

On 12/05/2017 at 0:31 PM, Matthew76 said:

You have a brilliant voice, Richard... It gives so much to your work...

And you manage to create cool melodies...

This one is great...

Hope you will finish the other piece called "Guiding Light"... This one is fantastic, I find...

'Thanks for the comments Matthew - appreciate them. Melodies are something I don't seem to have a problem coming up with, finishing a track on the other hand....

I do need to get back to Guiding Light, but not going to have a lot of time over the next few weeks, much to my annoyance.

On 12/05/2017 at 9:53 PM, Rob Ash said:

Richard.

In my critiques, I often harp about how folks should show a lot more courage with regards to their vocals, and just let the natural strength of a performance do the work, instead of burying what they perceive as bad performance or a bad sound under a heavy layer of effects. Not that effects are bad... they just work best when they are used only to enhance what is already there. I can't recall the number of times I've typed; "...you have a fine voice... why are your hiding it under all those heavy effects?"

Rich, you have a fine voice, It's refreshing to actually HEAR it, and not hear just a lot of worthless effects.

Now I can point to this work as a prime example of what I have been talking about. Nicely done.

Reminds me a lot of the vibe of songs i love from the movie sound track for "The Breakfast Club". Songs like " Don't You Forget About Me"... I like that about this.

Cool tune. Very original. The vocal is signature quality.

'Hey Rob - thanks for the lovely comments, very much appreciated coming from yourself. Glad my vocals sound okay on this one. Once I can get round to recording them properly, I am hoping they will sound a hell of a lot better.

For a greater part of the verses, you do sound quite like Lengendary Bowie :)

I, too, feel that something more interesting can be done with the "I know" part... It needs more punch. First thought - instead of stretching the "I" while singing, you could shorten it - which would automatically bring in a kind of a pumped-up rhythm to the hook. Second thought - as you progress with the chorus over the verses, you could break out into harmonies which could be Enyaesque in nature or even gospel-like (And yes, female tone/s would work great here). And if you do think of going for such big chorus effects, I can sort of imagine the song fading out instead of just coming to an end.

1 person likes this

Good tune! I get a slight U2 vibe from it. It's got a great vibe and mood. I can't think of anything to suggest, it was a great song to sit back with the headphones on and chill. Nice work

1 person likes this

I enjoyed the tune, especially the music and mix.  Definitely 80's which you know.  While not my favorite musical decade you do it very very well.  The weak link for me is the lyric.  Not necessarily from a subject matter viewpoint, but more from a hook point of view.  My personal preference is a lyric with more rhyming.  It grabs the listener more.  I would have liked more rhyming, though just a personal preference.  Really enjoyed the music and mix nonetheless

Dave

1 person likes this

It's strange isn't it, how different people hear things differently.... just reading through the other comments... You don't sound like most of the people mentioned, but you do sound a bit like Midge Ure and there's a hint of Simple Minds (or would be if the music was more 'stadium' and the 'I know' was more passionately delivered).

And I think that kind of sums up my critique ... I think it's a bit of either, and could have more catchy melody like Midge would do, or more power/passion like Jim (and Midge) would do. As it stands I think it's nice, but lacks that melody or oomph. I think Dave is probably right too because the lyric didn't speak to me...but...I think the 'I know' is quite hooky.

You could build on the 'I know'... keep it going, getting more powerful and higher... then stop the drums for a 4 count, then slam back in with multiple voices doing the I know, scream the lead vox, bring in some power chords and rock the stadium with a massive Simple Minds outro... 

52 minutes ago, MonoStone said:

It's strange isn't it, how different people hear things differently.... just reading through the other comments... You don't sound like most of the people mentioned, but you do sound a bit like Midge Ure and there's a hint of Simple Minds (or would be if the music was more 'stadium' and the 'I know' was more passionately delivered).

And I think that kind of sums up my critique ... I think it's a bit of either, and could have more catchy melody like Midge would do, or more power/passion like Jim (and Midge) would do. As it stands I think it's nice, but lacks that melody or oomph. I think Dave is probably right too because the lyric didn't speak to me...but...I think the 'I know' is quite hooky.

You could build on the 'I know'... keep it going, getting more powerful and higher... then stop the drums for a 4 count, then slam back in with multiple voices doing the I know, scream the lead vox, bring in some power chords and rock the stadium with a massive Simple Minds outro... 

Are you going to do the power chords for me? I can't play guitar and don't think it sounds the same with power piano chords;)

35 minutes ago, Richard Tracey said:

Are you going to do the power chords for me? I can't play guitar and don't think it sounds the same with power piano chords;)

I wasn't totally serious, but if you do want to make it all stadium rock/pop yeah I'll have a go. To be honest I'd use the Reason Electric Guitar for that... nothing similar for Logic?