• Announcements

• Songstuff

New Chat App   06/02/2017

We have a new chat app available. You will need to sign up for it. You can pick up the invite link at the top of your member hub page:   http://forums.songstuff.com/member/hub/   Remember to use your Songstuff registered email and user name when you sign up! Using the invite link will automatically add you to the Songstuff chat channel.
Jenn

Please lock this!!! Thank you!

27 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I wrote the lyrics to this, this morning.. Did the track in about an hour... Really want to finish it

I have "Green Light" by Lorde stuck in my head.. And other various songs and such

I've got this bit.. but I may need ideas for where to go next

And any suggestions at all.. Thank you as always

UPDATED: https://soundcloud.com/jennifer8169456/ill-be-there-instrumental

I came up with a demo instrumental and have all the melodies mostly worked out apart from the bridge (this is my first time doing a bridge!)

I also changed some lyrics.. 

Updated: Procrastinating on studying and finally settled on a bit of a melody for my verse!! I think it's starting to come together

https://soundcloud.com/jennifer8169456/ill-be-there-verse-1-and-2

[Verse 1]

I miss the oceans, I miss the skies 

Beautiful times that aren't mine 

Still, I hold them to my heart 

As they tear me apart 

(Hope's not so far away, hope's not so far away)

[Chorus]

If I had the chance to not look back

Give up everything for time to last

I'll be there

I'll be there

I'll be there

[Verse 2]

If you find me in the waves

I don't want to be saved

Leave my shadow to the night

Let me forget the light

But still I follow my heart

Even as it tears me apart

(Hope's not so far away, hope's not so far away)

[Chorus]

If I had the chance to not look back

I'll be there

I'll be there

I'll be there

[Bridge]

Pulled away and pushed in

Time's thick and time's thin

Held down and held up

I was away my old skin

[Chorus]

But if I had the chance to not look back

I'll be there

I'll be there

I'll be there

I'll be there

I'll be there

I'll be there

Edited by tunesmithth
*Locked per member request
3 people like this

i like the lyrics but you seem you lack confidence in singing. The emotion behind what you say is more important then the message portrayed. know what emotion youd like to portray and express it (something im tryna work on myself)

A cool song idea, I'm definitely hearing a 'Green Light' influence a little bit but mainly because you mentioned it, other wise I thought it sounded original. I like the direction you took with the verse melody and I LOVE the general feel and look of that chorus! It just screams out, "I'M SO SIMPLE! I'M SO CATCHY!" Brilliant stuff.

Personally, I'm getting a funk rock, dance-pop kinda vibe from the way you sing that verse. So maybe some funky rock music could really bring this song to life?

Good luck with it, Jenn (@Jenn).

Ken

10 hours ago, Jenn said:

I wrote the lyrics to this, this morning.. Did the track in about an hour... Really want to finish it

I have "Green Light" by Lorde stuck in my head.. And other various songs and such

I've got this bit.. but I may need ideas for where to go next

And any suggestions at all.. Thank you as always

https://soundcloud.com/jennifer8169456/ill-be-there-2

[Verse 1]

I miss the oceans, I miss the skies 

Beautiful times that aren't mine 

Still, I hold them to my heart 

As they tear me apart 

(Hope's not so far away, hope's not so far)

[Chorus]

Then tell them I'll be there

Let them stop and stare

And that I still care

[Verse 2]

And if you find me in the waves

I don't want to be saved

Leave my shadow to the night

Make me believe that I'm doing right

I don't need the safety of the light

[Chorus]

Let them stop and stare

And that I still care

[Bridge]

Held down and held up

I was away my old skin

Held down and held up

I wash away my old skin

[Chorus]

Let them stop and stare

And that I still care

'Hi Jenn- I like the direction this one is going. It sounds like it's going to be the kind of song I would listen to. I'm not going to comment on what you have at the moment, as it clearly a draft idea.

The lyrics read really well and I can't wait to hear them in the song.

8 hours ago, ALOPRODUCTIONZ said:

i like the lyrics but you seem you lack confidence in singing. The emotion behind what you say is more important then the message portrayed. know what emotion youd like to portray and express it (something im tryna work on myself)

Ah all my recordings sound like this unfortunately, as it is true. I'm recording in my dorm room and am actually terrified someones gonna hear me.. although i'm pretty sure everyone has... once i get the definite melody (and possibly a new mic!) i'll practice and practice and practice.

2 hours ago, ImKeN said:

A cool song idea, I'm definitely hearing a 'Green Light' influence a little bit but mainly because you mentioned it, other wise I thought it sounded original. I like the direction you took with the verse melody and I LOVE the general feel and look of that chorus! It just screams out, "I'M SO SIMPLE! I'M SO CATCHY!" Brilliant stuff.

Personally, I'm getting a funk rock, dance-pop kinda vibe from the way you sing that verse. So maybe some funky rock music could really bring this song to life?

Good luck with it, Jenn (@Jenn).

Ken

That's really interesting! I was actually scared it sounded too much like green light.. but this gives me some confidence :). Thank you!!! Yeah that melody kind of came out of no where but i really like it... currently working on the second verse melody... have a few ideas.

I am wondering though... Should I make the "apart" thingy that I have going on here, a prechorus? Or more of a second chorus?

I was trying to bridge it last night so that it would go into the chorus that I have written here.. but I think I used up all my creative juices haha.

Yeah I need to work on a melody for the chorus I have written... it'll definitely have to be catchy and I hope I don't disappoint. 

And that's weird too! I've actually never really listened much to funk... but I was definitely keeping a dance-pop vibe in mind 

55 minutes ago, Richard Tracey said:

'Hi Jenn- I like the direction this one is going. It sounds like it's going to be the kind of song I would listen to. I'm not going to comment on what you have at the moment, as it clearly a draft idea.

The lyrics read really well and I can't wait to hear them in the song.

Ah!!!! I'm very glad that it's something you would listen to... that means a lot

Thank you all for the comments and taking the time to listen <3

I may not be able to work on it 100% as school is picking back up again.. but I feel this song has so much potential and it's my duty to finish it.. Thanks all again

1 person likes this

I would follow that line up with a bass heavy groove for maybe two measures and jump in with verse 2. A good start. The minor chord will give it a minor feel. Not as happy more intense.

29 minutes ago, Jenn said:

I am wondering though... Should I make the "apart" thingy that I have going on here, a prechorus? Or more of a second chorus?

Ooh, I like the way you think! It does sound good as a pre-chorus, but who knows, it could sound better as a 1st chorus - because it transitions quite smoothly from the verse, plus it's very catchy but still a little on the mellow side? To me, that will allow the current chorus idea you have written out to be way more dynamic, thus becoming a strong 2nd chorus.

1 hour ago, Jenn said:

And that's weird too! I've actually never really listened much to funk... but I was definitely keeping a dance-pop vibe in mind

The funk thing might just be my mind playing tricks on me but I was instantly reminded of David Bowie when I heard your phrasing and melody. And the strange thing is I don't really listen to his songs, which got me thinking maybe I should start so now I'm listening to 'Let's Dance.' ...It's so good!

Ken

Posted (edited)

I'm also debating a key change out of the "apart" part.. that goes into

Let them stop and stare

Need to test my theory ability..

Ok... I had to try to make this chorus work... i'm not very good at writing choruses, so please give me feedback on this one!!!! (very very very rough vocals and bare instrumentation) but the idea is there

https://soundcloud.com/jennifer8169456/ill-be-there-with-chorus

Edited by Jenn

Good tune! I'd finish it up with confidence. Verses are very strong and the chorus has potential. I think once you have finished it and have sang it with more feeling the chorus' will pop out more. I like the use of the synth, fit's in nice. 

If I were to give any feedback it would be on the piano during the chorus. (This is just my opinion) but it sounds a little robotic. I would cut out one of the beats in the measure. So, for example, what you have is: |   ||||  - I would change take out the second to last one so it's like this: |   || |  - not sure if that makes any sense, but that's the only feedback I could offer.

Great song, I want to hear it when it's done!

13 hours ago, bakerusc said:

Good tune! I'd finish it up with confidence. Verses are very strong and the chorus has potential. I think once you have finished it and have sang it with more feeling the chorus' will pop out more. I like the use of the synth, fit's in nice. 

If I were to give any feedback it would be on the piano during the chorus. (This is just my opinion) but it sounds a little robotic. I would cut out one of the beats in the measure. So, for example, what you have is: |   ||||  - I would change take out the second to last one so it's like this: |   || |  - not sure if that makes any sense, but that's the only feedback I could offer.

Great song, I want to hear it when it's done!

I think I've settled on a chorus... It's the one I have up, but "give up everything" is at a higher base note.. and I think it sounds good and will sound even better when i can sing comfortably!

I'm definitely going to still play with the piano during the chorus.. I haven't had time to try your suggestion, but I definitely will. I think it sounds very robotic too!

Thank you for the listen

I am incredibly excited for this track..

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

It's slowly taking shape, @Jenn. I think you're on the right track with the 2nd chorus so I'm looking forward to the 1st completed draft!

Ken

Edited by ImKeN
1 person likes this

1 hour ago, ImKeN said:

It's slowly taking shape, @Jenn. I think you're on the right track with the 2nd chorus so I'm looking forward to the 1st completed draft!

Ken

now I'm just trying to find the best instrumental :D

Hi Jenn, 

Would have liked to listen to your piece but for some reason your link provided isn't opening. Could you paste it here again along with the default player option?

Posted (edited)

3 minutes ago, Sreyashi Mukherjee said:

Hi Jenn, 

Would have liked to listen to your piece but for some reason your link provided isn't opening. Could you paste it here again along with the default player option?

hm that's strange.. sorry! 

https://soundcloud.com/jennifer8169456/ill-be-there-with-chorus

Soundcloud won't let me have the actual thing here...

if that link still doesn't work, it's the first recording on my soundcloud: 

it doesn't show up there though!!! so you have to click on it and go to the soundcloud website and its called "I'll Be There with chorus"

Hopefully this works... sorry its so confusing :( but i really appreciate it

Edited by Jenn

Yes, could get it from your SC account. It does sound quite promising.. Will hold on to comments till you have a full draft completed.. you may yourself make changes along the way towards your song completion. I do agree on one point with bakerusc. The piano chords during the chorus sound robotic and somewhat affect the song's flow. Maybe you can use keys instead of chords which sound like somd of the notes when you sing "apart".. just an idea.

The lyrics are well written, I like the music, did you write the song in your head and imagine how you would sing it, or did you sing it while you were writing it? Sounds like a daft question but there's a method to my madness.

Just now, Steve Ather said:

The lyrics are well written, I like the music, did you write the song in your head and imagine how you would sing it, or did you sing it while you were writing it? Sounds like a daft question but there's a method to my madness.

i wrote the song in my head and imagined how i would sing it.. usually im listening to music while i write lyrics. but this song, I actually came up with the verse melody first before the instrumentals. I relied more on the course that the music took me for the chorus melody. 

Yeah that's what I generally do, but normally it's because I'm writing songs late at night and my neighbours wouldn't appreciate me singing ha!

The reason I ask is, nearly every song I've written in my head and then practiced singing during the day (when I can be loud) feels like my voice is stuck down in my throat when I'm singing, it sounds like you've got a really nice tone, but my theory is, when we write songs in our heads, our imagination thinks we can sing in exceptionally high, when we go to actually sing it we sing it in a lower octave. I bet if you put the music up by 1 or 2 octaves it pushes your voice into a more comfortable position,.

Just my theory on the vocal stand point.

1 minute ago, Jenn said:

i wrote the song in my head and imagined how i would sing it.. usually im listening to music while i write lyrics. but this song, I actually came up with the verse melody first before the instrumentals. I relied more on the course that the music took me for the chorus melody. 

Posted (edited)

3 minutes ago, Steve Ather said:

Yeah that's what I generally do, but normally it's because I'm writing songs late at night and my neighbours wouldn't appreciate me singing ha!

The reason I ask is, nearly every song I've written in my head and then practiced singing during the day (when I can be loud) feels like my voice is stuck down in my throat when I'm singing, it sounds like you've got a really nice tone, but my theory is, when we write songs in our heads, our imagination thinks we can sing in exceptionally high, when we go to actually sing it we sing it in a lower octave. I bet if you put the music up by 1 or 2 octaves it pushes your voice into a more comfortable position,.

Just my theory on the vocal stand point.

haha yeah my dorm probably doesnt appreciate me trying to sing quietly (and failing to do so) after midnight! And that's actually a really interesting theory... I think you're right. I have a pretty decent range, and most times I forget that I have so much to work with. I need to go record the song with confidence, but I might also try moving the piano up an octave. It is pretty comfortable now.. just a matter of chest vs head voice

thank you <3

Edited by Jenn

I like it. From strictly a melody and vocal rhythm and cadence perspective, it's catchy and modern...there's really good potential.

I think as a demo this is good. I can imagine it being a disco styled tune like Daft Punk/Pharrel etc. Would be nice to see how u would sing this! There's only so much with it being just a instrumental but as a production.. I think the piano sounds cheap/midi and so do the drums.. hopefully for the finished version u will adjust these. Keep it up! I just left a comment. Would u be so kind as to Return some feedback? Thankyou! 

On 5/1/2017 at 6:50 AM, outss said:

I think as a demo this is good. I can imagine it being a disco styled tune like Daft Punk/Pharrel etc. Would be nice to see how u would sing this! There's only so much with it being just a instrumental but as a production.. I think the piano sounds cheap/midi and so do the drums.. hopefully for the finished version u will adjust these. Keep it up! I just left a comment. Would u be so kind as to Return some feedback? Thankyou! 

thanks for listening :) and i've never listened too much to daft punk/pharrel and i've never even thought about trying disco haha. and yeah i'm using garageband.. and i don't know how to use it to its best potential. i'm gonna try to record vocals soon.. and as for the piano/drums sounding cheap.. i'm not sure what i can do about that. maybe just vocal layers and turning them down a bit. but i still feel like theyre essential to the feel of the song...

i also left comments on your video!

It's coming along nicely, @Jenn. The melodies are stuck in my head, now. There's definitely some kind of retro vibe in this song and I like it. Looking forward to hearing that bridge in the next update. All the best in your studies, as well.

1 minute ago, ImKeN said:

It's coming along nicely, @Jenn. The melodies are stuck in my head, now. There's definitely some kind of retro vibe in this song and I like it. Looking forward to hearing that bridge in the next update. All the best in your studies, as well.

ah nearly done with school :)! I have a few ideas going around in my head for the bridge... nothing definite yet. 

!!! haha that's weird to think that my melodies are stuck in your head... this actually has been happening. I wrote a quick little chorus about one of my teachers.. and people keep singing it and it is very strange..

i've been listening to a lot of modern stuff, but also some shoegazing songs too... not sure where i'm getting the retro vibe from but happy it's working in some way! thanks for the listen and hopefully i'll come up with something soon:D

1 person likes this

Keep going... you're definitely getting to a good place!