Your Ad Could Be Here

Hi Songstuff members, 

My name is Joey. I'm new here, but have posted on other forums. I appreciate the opportunity and all the hard work that must have gone into developing this site. I hope I can be of help when making comments on your works as well as learn from you when posting my songs. I have already composed and written lyrics for quite a few songs that I will be recording for you to hear in the coming months. Since I have learned the hard way that it is best to get the lyric right (or close to right) before getting involved in recording a song, I will post some lyrics for final tweaking as well as brand new songs that still need allot of refinement and allot of help from my friends. 

I compose my music first, usually starting with groove and chord structure, then develop the melody and lyric. That's just how I have always approached songwriting. For me, the music comes easier than the lyric. Although I love the entire process of composing and honing lyrics, it's all aimed at getting something I can sing.....a song worthy of recording for others to hear. And it's a real thrill when the whole process finally comes together in a completed mix.

It's a scary moment when I push the submit button on a lyric or completed recording for others to review. I'm always thrilled when I get a positive response. But I also find I learn the most and progress at the craft of songwriting when a song needs allot of further work after talented writers and composers give me their generous guidance. I will try to return the favor so we can all grow together.

The way I view it, songwriting is a spiritual journey, a road to personal fulfillment, expression and communicating ideas. A song is like a ring....music is the setting and the lyric is the gem sitting on top. I think the wonderful thing about songs is that they take us on a journey to a world of emotions, ideas and stories, a world as variable as our own experiences and unique personalities. 

I'm looking forward to learning from you..... and hope my critiques of your songs will be helpful as well.  

Hi Joey,

Glad you found us and welcome! The site and the folks around here really are pretty awesome.

I'm right there with you on this.

"It's a scary moment when I push the submit button on a lyric"

Everytime...glup :)

Peggy

Hi. Noob here as well. I appreciate you sharing your songwriting process here. I'm interested in what you've learned about getting lyrics right before recording. Although I understand that lyrics are important, I usually record songs where I think the lyrics are "good enough" (probably is evident in my songs) and serve to carry the melody. That's why I'm here, I love to hear other perspectives. 

Archived