lflux

(First post, critique needed) in the Darkness

10 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Looking to improve the music in any way possible :)

Edited by lflux
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I really like the piece.  The loudest parts were close to hurting my ears though - some really bright frequencies going on.  I might tame the bell sounds especially.  Overall, I also think there's quite an abundance of reverb for an orchestral piece, and I can't help but wonder how this might sound if you were more judicious with reverb.  For example, I think the piano would sound better and cut through better with less reverb on it.  I also think it might be spread a bit to wide in the mix.  I appreciate the higher register is to the right and lower to the left as it should be.  But, the spread is really super-wide and sounds a little odd to me that way.

Just my opinions, but that's what I have to offer.

Good Stuff!

David

P.S.  I see you've commented on many other posts.  Kudos.  That's first-class Noobism. ;)

Edited by HoboSage
1 person likes this

Very intuitive and shows a great skill at creating ambiance. This is a very tranquil piece. 

Love it!

This is truly a beautiful arrangement. I prefer "Out Of The Darkness" for a title (I must say :D )

Out-of-the-ordinary talent, for sure!

-Tom

1 person likes this

On 04/05/2017 at 6:03 AM, HoboSage said:

I really like the piece.  The loudest parts were close to hurting my ears though - some really bright frequencies going on.  I might tame the bell sounds especially.  Overall, I also think there's quite an abundance of reverb for an orchestral piece, and I can't help but wonder how this might sound if you were more judicious with reverb.  For example, I think the piano would sound better and cut through better with less reverb on it.  I also think it might be spread a bit to wide in the mix.  I appreciate the higher register is to the right and lower to the left as it should be.  But, the spread is really super-wide and sounds a little odd to me that way.

Just my opinions, but that's what I have to offer.

Good Stuff!

David

P.S.  I see you've commented on many other posts.  Kudos.  That's first-class Noobism. ;)

Thanks for the thoughtful reply! I see what you mean about some parts being so loud(?) that it's painful to listen to, but I'm not sure how to fix that. I can't tell if it's a volume thing; I don't think that section where the strings take the lead about halfway through would have the same effect on the listener if it was quieter, so I think the volume should be as it is, and I don't think the volume itself is the problem. Could it be something about the sound of the strings? Maybe they get a little drone-y after playing the same notes for so long? Alternatively I might try turning down the velocity of the notes themselves in that section and seeing how that sounds.

I must say, I apologise but I don't know what you're talking about with regard to the reverb. To me the high amount of reverb makes everything in the piece more atmospheric. Maybe this is a rookie mistake or something though haha. And reverb being abundant for an orchestral piece...I must clueless because I thought reverb was something you have a lot of in orchestra pieces! I'll ask others what they think about the reverb in this becaus I'm unsure as to whether I should have so much now. 

The width of of the mix was a very good catch, something I think I didn't really pick up on because 90% of my listening was done with speakers rather than headphones. Thanks for that :)

On 04/05/2017 at 6:23 AM, IronKnee said:

Very intuitive and shows a great skill at creating ambiance. This is a very tranquil piece. 

Love it!

This is truly a beautiful arrangement. I prefer "Out Of The Darkness" for a title (I must say :D )

Out-of-the-ordinary talent, for sure!

-Tom

That is extremely kind Tom, thanks so much! That name is probably more fitting haha yeah.

Simply beautiful it is! Loved everything about it. I guess I prefer listening to music at lower volumes, so didn't find my ears hurting at any point. I wish your piece was a longer, though. Somehow, the ending to me felt a little abrupt.

Sreyashi/Sumi

1 person likes this

54 minutes ago, Sreyashi Mukherjee said:

Simply beautiful it is! Loved everything about it. I guess I prefer listening to music at lower volumes, so didn't find my ears hurting at any point. I wish your piece was a longer, though. Somehow, the ending to me felt a little abrupt.

Sreyashi/Sumi

Thanks so much, that's lovely of you to say :) Yeah, I see that about the ending. I guess I'm not very good with endings because I can't for the life of me seem to come up with a good one in this specific piece!

Really interesting.. but I feel like this was only a part of something much bigger.. i dont know if that's what you intended. but it really just seem like a fragment. i enjoyed every second of it, though, and didn't know where it was going to go

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, Jenn said:

Really interesting.. but I feel like this was only a part of something much bigger.. i dont know if that's what you intended. but it really just seem like a fragment. i enjoyed every second of it, though, and didn't know where it was going to go

Thanks a lot :) it is indeed a fragment of something bigger...because I'm incapable of getting my head down and finishing these things. I wrote a certain amount and then realised I was too much of a perfectionist to make it any good if it got too long, so I cut things short around the two-minute mark. In a way, though, I am glad that I made that decision. I think I managed to concisely fit a good structure with a distinct introduction, buildup, climax, cooldown and coda into just three minutes of music. World's shortest symphony? Haha

6 hours ago, lflux said:

Yeah, I see that about the ending. I guess I'm not very good with endings because I can't for the life of me seem to come up with a good one in this specific piece!

19 minutes ago, lflux said:

it is indeed a fragment of something bigger...because I'm incapable of getting my head down and finishing these things. I wrote a certain amount and then realised I was too much of a perfectionist to make it any good if it got too long, so I cut things short around the two-minute mark. In a way, though, I am glad that I made that decision. I think I managed to concisely fit a good structure with a distinct introduction, buildup, climax, cooldown and coda into just three minutes of music. World's shortest symphony? Haha

I guess there lies your real challenge :)

You're already very good in making that first impression with your music... now to make it last :)

This does sound like an intro which in itself sounds perfect if you provide the audience with that kind of a story background/premise. But if you want this to be a standalone piece, then there is a little more left to be desired. I can't really provide inputs about what can be done because, well, you are the creative genius! Channelling your perfectionism to solve this riddle could take you to yet another level :)

1 person likes this

On 07/05/2017 at 2:44 AM, Sreyashi Mukherjee said:

I guess there lies your real challenge :)

You're already very good in making that first impression with your music... now to make it last :)

This does sound like an intro which in itself sounds perfect if you provide the audience with that kind of a story background/premise. But if you want this to be a standalone piece, then there is a little more left to be desired. I can't really provide inputs about what can be done because, well, you are the creative genius! Channelling your perfectionism to solve this riddle could take you to yet another level :)

Thank you! This has given me newfound inspiration. I think I'll try to write a much longer piece of music with larger amounts of time spent on things like exposition, buildup, etc. Like at least 8 minutes! Endings are definitely what I struggle with most right now, so maybe if I'm given a big enough space to experiment in then I can come up with something good and learn from that.

1 person likes this