I hope you're comfy in your 'free' country
Everything's ok because they told you so
Ch 2
It'll all be ok in the end
Keep telling your self my friend
Accept blind deception for WiFi reception
V2
They said 'just go with the program - don't rock the boat man - don't dare to change anything'
Prechorus
Ch 3
Keep telling yourself my friend
Your teenage phone zombie loves his Abercrombie

V3
They said 'no point in complaining, could be worse could be raining'
I think I'll bury my head
But they said 'stand up and be counted' but it never amounted to anything
Prechorus
Ch 4
Keep telling your self my friend
The President's tweeting but his honesty's fleeting
Accept blind deception for WiFi reception
Reassurance ain't easy - go and watch a bit of TV

Thanks to John Cleese

Edited by daryl1968
1 person likes this

Well produced tune with incisive lyrics.

Timely song with solid performances all around. Lots of interesting sounds in the mix.

The vocoder style vocals work pretty well in this tune.

Nicely done.

Peace,

TC

Great tune - melody and lyrics fit perfectly. Nice production too - not to cluttered and everything has space and panning is excellent. Hard to fault.

Great listen

Richard

Very interesting tune!  Well produced.  It didn't seem all that cynical.  Seems like the anti Trump songs seem to be in vogue at the moment though.  It kept my interest pretty much through the entire song.

At first I was a tad taken aback by the fact that a British guy was singing about America and the President.  But then on your Soundcloud I noticed New York.  So long story short, I'm not quite sure the Monty Python clip adds to the song.  I thought it detracted from the sincerity of it, making it seem like a foreign tune.  It's kind of like when a certain class or race calls each other something, it's okay.  But when someone outside that class/race calls them the same thing, it's fighting words.  So in a way perhaps an American singing an anti-American song is a little more tolerable than a foreigner doing it.  Hope this makes sense.

I dig your style of music.  Seems very reggae influenced.  Bravo and keep up the good work!  :rockin:

Posted (edited)

Well, I think this is our British friends telling us Americans it will be okay.  Anyway, though not my cup of tea musically, I still think it's a solid tune and I think it sounds good.  I personally might like it more if the tempo was a little faster - or maybe a lot faster.  For a tune having a sound with such a quirky vibe, it feels like it drags to me.

Edited by HoboSage

I have to agree with David that the song drags. It's hard to express why, but it does... a bit at least. Maybe it's just that I keep getting dragged down about what I don't like about it... it's a bit critical, and a bit of an unsolicited "preach".... but it's a still a quirky, fun tune.

The music isn't "full" enough. It has a porous quality... to much air. Needs more keys, maybe, or another guitar. Dunno, But it needs something. I also think the tempo is an issue. If this is a true potential pop offering, it needs to be faster. That alone would help with the music bed not being full enough. If the tempo now is say, 110 bpm, or there about, I'd try running it at 130bpm and rerecord the song. That would be closer to a straight pop mentality.

Main thing is, what will make this compelling to an average American for them to want t listen to it more than a single listen? I admit that we, as a country, have a small contingent that seem to welcome being told that Americas is crap and responsible for every thing that is wrong in the world. I am not a part of that group, so being preached at like this does not appeal much to me.

Unless that accent is a complete put on, you lived in Britain for some period... maybe came from the UK.... so, don't you folks have enough problems to work on without being so vocal about the US?

Just saying....

Posted (edited)

I totally enjoyed listening to this song, Daryl. The lyrics are pretty humorous, but realistically horrific, considering the state of American politics right now :unsure: I didn't find to too cynical, just realistic. I love your voice and the harmonies. It had a Beatlesque vibe going on in places. I'm no expert on production, but it sounded really good to me, and the vocals were clear throughout. It would be interesting to hear this at a faster pace, but I like as is too. Great track! :hippy:

Edited by crystalsuzy

Very creative. I really liked this. I thought the Monty Python intro was a nice touch (I'm a big Monty Python fan so I had to smile when I recognized the voice) and it put me in the right frame of mind for the rest of the song , I like the recording, vocals the lyrics the arrangement. A really fun song for me to "critique" after a long absence from here.

On 5/7/2017 at 11:36 PM, TCgypsy said:

Well produced tune with incisive lyrics.

Timely song with solid performances all around. Lots of interesting sounds in the mix.

The vocoder style vocals work pretty well in this tune.

Nicely done.

Peace,

TC

Thanks a lot TC :)

Hey Daryl,

I totally enjoyed the tune.  I love the quirky feel.  Personally, being an American, I did not find the lyric preachy at all.  I also do not see this as an "anti-American" song as some have espoused.  Rather, I see it as an "anti-Trump" song which "many many" Americans would agree with you about.  I like songs that take a stand, whether you agree with the message or not.  I don't find that preachy, I find it real and heartfelt.  I also don't see the subject of this song as being solely an American problem. I look at it as a universal problem, for which all can proudly voice their position on.  My take anyway.  I really dug it.

Dave

I've had a chance to think about this a bit, and I want to expound upon my original comments.

I still don't much care for this tune, but I admit now that the reaction is almost purely visceral. I also admit now that that fact alone (in my case, at least), makes this piece a successful one. As a song concept, the author of this ditty succeeded in evoking an emotional response in me, followed by more serious thought than I am, frankly, prepared to admit at this time.

And that's exactly what a song like this meant to do.

Well done.

On 5/8/2017 at 4:24 AM, Strawberry Lane said:

Great tune - melody and lyrics fit perfectly. Nice production too - not to cluttered and everything has space and panning is excellent. Hard to fault.

Great listen

Richard

Thanks so much Richard - glad you enjoyed it

On 5/9/2017 at 5:52 AM, CapM said:

Very interesting tune!  Well produced.  It didn't seem all that cynical.  Seems like the anti Trump songs seem to be in vogue at the moment though.  It kept my interest pretty much through the entire song.

At first I was a tad taken aback by the fact that a British guy was singing about America and the President.  But then on your Soundcloud I noticed New York.  So long story short, I'm not quite sure the Monty Python clip adds to the song.  I thought it detracted from the sincerity of it, making it seem like a foreign tune.  It's kind of like when a certain class or race calls each other something, it's okay.  But when someone outside that class/race calls them the same thing, it's fighting words.  So in a way perhaps an American singing an anti-American song is a little more tolerable than a foreigner doing it.  Hope this makes sense.

I dig your style of music.  Seems very reggae influenced.  Bravo and keep up the good work!  :rockin:

Thanks a lot for the kind words CapM. 

I do regret the Python intro. I will probably take it out. 

I have lived in the USA for 11 years but it's funny, the song wasn't intended to be about the USA as such. 

The song is about being comfortable while being lied to by government/media and because you are comfortable, you ignore it. That is just as bad in the UK as it is in the USA (and probably in Australia, France, Japan......)

It'll all be ok in the end is supposed to be an ironic, cynical yet reassuring phrase. 

I only mention the President because, like it or not, his actions have a global effect and (I'm sorry Trump fans) the guy is seen as an idiot in every other country on the planet.

If I triggered anyone's jingoism by posting this song, I rest my case :)

1 person likes this

On 5/9/2017 at 7:47 AM, HoboSage said:

Well, I think this is our British friends telling us Americans it will be okay.  Anyway, though not my cup of tea musically, I still think it's a solid tune and I think it sounds good.  I personally might like it more if the tempo was a little faster - or maybe a lot faster.  For a tune having a sound with such a quirky vibe, it feels like it drags to me.

Thanks for the listen mate. 

Hello, 

That is original ! I m new here and I discover your sound. 

I cannot say that this is the kind of music that I would listen to at home, but it's well produced and I liked the melody.

The kind of robot voice during the whole song is perhaps too much for me but otherwhise, good job.

It's efficient. Thank you :)

1 person likes this

On 5/12/2017 at 5:26 PM, Rob Ash said:

I have to agree with David that the song drags. It's hard to express why, but it does... a bit at least. Maybe it's just that I keep getting dragged down about what I don't like about it... it's a bit critical, and a bit of an unsolicited "preach".... but it's a still a quirky, fun tune.

The music isn't "full" enough. It has a porous quality... to much air. Needs more keys, maybe, or another guitar. Dunno, But it needs something. I also think the tempo is an issue. If this is a true potential pop offering, it needs to be faster. That alone would help with the music bed not being full enough. If the tempo now is say, 110 bpm, or there about, I'd try running it at 130bpm and rerecord the song. That would be closer to a straight pop mentality.

Main thing is, what will make this compelling to an average American for them to want t listen to it more than a single listen? I admit that we, as a country, have a small contingent that seem to welcome being told that Americas is crap and responsible for every thing that is wrong in the world. I am not a part of that group, so being preached at like this does not appeal much to me.

Unless that accent is a complete put on, you lived in Britain for some period... maybe came from the UK.... so, don't you folks have enough problems to work on without being so vocal about the US?

Just saying....

Thanks for the listen Rob - see my comments above re the USA thing. 

Incidentally, this is the song I wrote that IS directly about the USA  https://soundcloud.com/skyblueproductions/drink-mastered