Jenn

How'd you come up with your name?

14 posts in this topic

I've tried to come up with a "name" for myself for the past year and nothing has seemed to stick and I feel so self-righteous giving myself a title? But recently, I've kind of created a slogan/catchphrase "until then" that could fit.. but I'm still not 100% about it. One of the main reasons I've been giving this some thought is because I'm actually running out of space on soundcloud and will need to make a new account soon haha! And I'm hoping I'll have some finalized tracks to put up on it under an official name..

So my question is, how did you come up with your "name"? Have you changed it? Tell me your stories!

Jenn,

I'm of the opinion that given names are often the best. It takes decision making away and you can grow into them. My artist name of 'Unwise Bill' however was chosen be me.

As for why, I was considering how to secure my rights to my music. In the past I took certain measures that were no longer applicable. Eventually I decided that other than posting to SoundCloud, Vimeo and here at SongStuff, I would take no measures. Not convinced this was enough or sufficient, I settled on the name 'Unwise Bill'. At about the same time I bought a soft toy Toucan to adorn my small studio room. He is also Unwise Bill as the name suits his oversized beak. My project album will be by 'Unwise Bill & the Squawking Gentlemen' (there is a bit of squawking going on at the end of one of my recorded songs).

A name that was given to me last year was 'No Fun Dad'. This was given collectively by 3 young interns at work. Jo, Shruti and Lauren accompanied me and workmate Danny on a work excursion to the Midlands. We all brought some snacks along to nibble in the car. Danny brought cake & chocolate while I brought fruit & healthy stuff. Based on that, Danny was dubbed 'Fun Dad' and me 'No Fun Dad'.

I quite like the name.

I just go by my birth name for all musical credits whether its linked to my band or not, but as far as my band name itself is concerned, I actually didn't come up with the name "Seismosphere". That was all on my bandmate John. If he ever created an account here I'm sure he's got some kind of story as to how he came up with it, but I can only account for myself at the present moment. When we were throwing around names, we held to two key criteria. First, this name had to be something streamlined and, rather pompously I suppose, chant-able. Second, this name had to not be taken by another band. By the end of an hour-long phone conversation of nothing but tossing names around, we had finally decided on the long-lasting title...Catalytic Circle. We had that title for a day or two before I received an untimely ring from John that occurred moments before I was stepping out of the house. Pressed for time, in just under a minute he said, "I've figured out a way better band name. Seismosphere. What do you think?" I said "Alright then". That was the end of it, and that's the name that to this very day is on all the merchandise which you can buy-............oh. Right. We're not famous enough to afford manufacturing merchandise. 

...Where am I again?

7 hours ago, PleaseKeepUpright said:

I just go by my birth name

Pleaskeepupright is an unusual first name. Was the vicar trying to prevent the font toppling? ;)

1 person likes this

My last name is Drilingas. I can't recall a time where I didn't see it misspelled with 2 "L"s very often. It still happens on a monthly basis at least. I still say "Just 1 L." So for that reason it seems to make sense. And, it's easier to spell. 

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

On 5/15/2017 at 7:15 AM, Rudi said:

Pleaskeepupright is an unusual first name. Was the vicar trying to prevent the font toppling? ;)

Yes. But it didn't prevent it in the slightest. Now I'm cursed for life. :P

Edited by PleaseKeepUpright
(I like how I misspelled life as "lfie")

Posted (edited)

"HoboSage" represents a dualism I feel (which is why I write it as two conjoined capitalized words), and I first expressed it in an older song of mine about me entitled Anthem Of A HoboSage.  When I joined Songstuff, I opted to use it as my member name, and it quickly grew on me to the point where it became my artist pseudonym.  Sometimes I wonder why many more folks here call me "Hobo" as opposed to "Sage" though.  Sure, hobo is listed first, but I'm half sage, and it's my better half damn it!  ;) 

I personally like "Jenn."  I think with the double "n" spelling it's pretty cool.  Off the top of my head, "Jenn sing" describes you, and sounds a lot like "ginseng," which I also think is cool.  Spelling it as "Jennseng" would be unique and might make folks ponder you a bit more.  Perhaps that could be a Soundcloud-worthy alt name for you.

David (a.k.a., The Sweetheart)

Edited by HoboSage

sorry I haven't kept up with this thread.. I've been moving out of my dorm and going back home.

I agree with everything that's been said and your stories are great!!! So keep them coming!!

On 5/18/2017 at 9:44 PM, HoboSage said:

"HoboSage" represents a dualism I feel (which is why I write it as two conjoined capitalized words), and I first expressed it in an older song of mine about me entitled Anthem Of A HoboSage.  When I joined Songstuff, I opted to use it as my member name, and it quickly grew on me to the point where it became my artist pseudonym.  Sometimes I wonder why many more folks here call me "Hobo" as opposed to "Sage" though.  Sure, hobo is listed first, but I'm half sage, and it's my better half damn it!  ;) 

I personally like "Jenn."  I think with the double "n" spelling it's pretty cool.  Off the top of my head, "Jenn sing" describes you, and sounds a lot like "ginseng," which I also think is cool.  Spelling it as "Jennseng" would be unique and might make folks ponder you a bit more.  Perhaps that could be a Soundcloud-worthy alt name for you.

David (a.k.a., The Sweetheart)

I'll start calling you sage the sweetheart.. how about that? :P 

When I first read this post, I really liked ginseng.. and I suppose Jenn sing describes me haha.

But in the time since then, I think I may have come up with "crystal hands"

I have this weird thing with hands.. how much they've touched and experienced. how their appearance can tell you so much about the person..

My mom also calls me hands of destruction because i always break everything. and crystal is fragile..

and then.. i always try to make my songs have a crystal element to them.. in some sort of timbre

finally, when i'm having a really good vocal day it literally feels like there's crystals in my mouth (metaphorically of course)... if that makes sense

so yeah... crystal hands.. 

for right now.

Mine is about my infatuation with things stellar.  I've always loved star-gazing but it wasn't until I took an Astronomy 101 course some 15 years ago that I dared to buy a telescope and take the leap into observing what we can't see with the naked eye.  M57 is a Messier Object that pretty much hangs at the zenith of the light polluted where I live in the summer, making it and M13 two of my favorite targets.  I probably started using the name when I was hanging out in star-gazing related forums in the early aughts. These days and in my old age, I rarely take the time or energy to drag out my humble 10" DOB but the moniker still works and it has stuck. Of course, it's purely coincidence that I'm 57 years old as I post this.

6 hours ago, M57 said:

Mine is about my infatuation with things stellar.  I've always loved star-gazing but it wasn't until I took an Astronomy 101 course some 15 years ago that I dared to buy a telescope and take the leap into observing what we can't see with the naked eye.  M57 is a Messier Object that pretty much hangs at the zenith of the light polluted where I live in the summer, making it and M13 two of my favorite targets.  I probably started using the name when I was hanging out in star-gazing related forums in the early aughts. These days and in my old age, I rarely take the time or energy to drag out my humble 10" DOB but the moniker still works and it has stuck. Of course, it's purely coincidence that I'm 57 years old as I post this.

Your explanation is clear, but not many people would make the connection. Maybe that doesnt matter to you?

To me M57 means the bypass motorway (read 'freeway') near Liverpool uk. You probably wouldn't know that about the English. Does that matter?

What I am getting at, is that your name only means something to you. Other peoples interpretations will be invisible to you.

Edited by Rudi
Disambiguation

Like clockwork … Happily, my son is going to have a painting he did shown at an upcoming art fair that has an area showcasing student work. Here's the list they sent, notice my son Casey's name.

Clark Sonia Munoz-Kirk
Clark Aubrey Guffey
Clark Lizzy Hancock
Clark Kaden Loving
Clark Farrell Browne
Bristol Bergen Neal
Bristol Gus Wasson
Bristol Gigi DeMaggio
Bristol Casey Drillingas
Bristol Rebecca Fairbanks and Sofie Hepfinger
Clark Catherine Buster
Clark Emery McReynolds
Clark Eliza Drayton

1 person likes this

15 hours ago, Rudi said:

What I am getting at, is that your name only means something to you. Other peoples interpretations will be invisible to you.

Well ..of course. but a search of M57 may bring up a lot of things, but the most prominent is the Messier object, and certainly where images are concerned, which happens to be one of the most familiar to non-stargazers. The picture that accompanies my moniker pretty much confirms things, and the most amateur of astronomy buffs will likely make the connection.   That said, of course I am aware that there are other "interpretations." I'm quite OK with that.

Edited by M57

Good read so far...

I originally called myself (NFD) - this is a Police term and means 'Not Further Described' when writing information down. I wanted to be in the background and the music being the thing you noticed, so felt that suited. I The noticed there was a rap group in the US with the same moniker.... so eventually I changed it to Jigsaw Sequence. This is a lyric from a Ultravox song called Rage In Eden. I had always wanted my first album to be called 'and no-one could see the end'. This is the continuation of the lyric from the song. It's a bit obscure, but I really liked it.

Recently I decided to change it to something a bit easier to remember and wanted to go with Monument - again this is another Ultravox reference, but again there is already a group with that name, so went with Little Monuments. This is another Ultravox lyric, but felt it would suit the creation of the songs, being little Monuments.

I wrote the one minute track for a post a while back and that was written in a similar context, where you could take it the songs were created for others and would be there when we're gone, or that we create children to leave behind when we are gone to keep the human race going.

I think I was trying to be to clever for my own good with that one:huh:

It's interesting to see how much thoughts goes into some of these choices. By comparison, mine are pretty boring. ;)

This short excerpt from a previous blog article explains it pretty thoroughly...

I have little need or desire to mask my internet persona. In a nutshell, what you see is what you get!

My name is Tom Hoffman.....I chose the Songstuff member name "tunesmithth" because my primary website is tune-smith.com and my initials are TH.

The only times I voluntarily deviate from those themes are when I feel it might be beneficial to use a theme-specific name (i.e. my "DrumStuffTH" & "The Story Behind the Song" channels). Neither earn high marks for originality, but both do a pretty good job of conveying channel content.