Will Sketches

This ought to make you bob your head

10 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hi everyone! I've been recording another one of my songs. This one is a bit more up-tempo. There's certain things I'm not yet completely happy with, mainly related to the vocals.

I would love to hear your comments/opinions/feedback on anything from the arrangement, production, or mix. Is there anything that sticks out that sounds wrong? Thanks!

Edited by Will Sketches
4 people like this

Hey @Will Sketches,

This is a good tune, man. Very funky and the mix sounds very clean and spread out. Good stuff.

Here are some thoughts I had while listening:

- I thought the bass from 0:46 ~ 1:23 didn't mesh well with the drums. Not sure, but I think a note also conflicted with the guitar picking as well, particularly the note that falls right on 0:49.

- The open hi hat kinda sound beginning at 0:15 felt a little too loud for my ears, don't know if you've automated it but I would bring down the levels in the loud places a little more.

On a more general note, I think this song and your other songs would do pretty well in tv/film. 

All the best,

Ken

1 person likes this

Thanks for your comments @ImKen ! 

I wasn't too sure about the conflicting guitar and bass rhythms in that section you mentioned -- I'll revisit it. 

Like your suggestion about TV/film placement. Never thought of that angle!

You make really catchy, current music. I don't know why but I'm reminded a little bit of Bruno Mars :P

I felt however that your vocals didn't sound as clear as the rest of the music - everything else sounded louder. Perhaps you can revisit the mix.

1 person likes this

I agree...this is a very catchy tune! It almost has some MJ influence in there B) So it has a modern feel, but also maybe somewhat of an 80's feel. I think the vocals are really good, but I think they need to be a little stronger in the mix, other wise great track  :hippy:

1 person likes this

Thank you both for your comments. I have revisited the mix and made the vocals slightly louder. Still not entirely happy with them, I'm aiming for a certain feel with the falsetto bits, but I don't seem to be able to get my voice to do what I want.

I'm a big fan of Bruno Mars's new album. It's got all the good bits from the 70s/80s/90s with a modern feel and the songs have great catchy melody lines. It's (24K!) magic, reminiscent of Michael Jackson's genius.

Hi Will, I agree with others, this has a very Bruno Mars, Mark Ronson feel to it. Sounds like a good start, but for me it needs just a little bit more body to it, something to fill it out. This might only be a synth part or extra spread when you are mixing and mastering.

1 person likes this

Cool tune! It's got a Bee Gees meets Prince feel. Groovy and funky and very enjoyable. Nice work man

1 person likes this

Hi both, thank you very much for your comments. 

@Richard Tracey, I did think the arrangement sounds a bit sparse in places, but at the moment I'm not 'hearing' anything to add that would fit with the vibe of the tune. This one needs to go on the shelf for a while, before I revisit it with fresh ears.

1 person likes this

I envy your ability to keep things relatively sparse instrumentally, but keep things interesting rhythmically! The only thing I'd change is the single-note guitar that starts in the intro and then follows bass in the verse. It's a cool part but gets a little too repetitive. It might just be because its a loop and if it were played in one go it'd sound a little more natural. Maybe you could mix it up every fourth time the pattern repeats.

Overall this is really good stuff! Have you listened to much of Montreal? Some of his later records, especially False Priest, are heavily inspired by the same music that I think is driving you, but of Montreal takes it in a new, weirder direction. If you aren't familiar, you might dig.

1 person likes this