11 posts in this topic

It's been a while since I posted any new music here. I've been busy creating the orchestral sample library that I used in this piece of music, but now that I'm done with the library, I can turn my attention to composing music again.

Cemetery For The Soul

I started with the guitars, synth and drum tracks created by Scott Thomson and added all the orchestra stuff. As always all comments are welcome, but I'm mostly looking for feedback that I can keep in mind and use as I work on the next thing I do.

Paul

Hey Paul,

Good to hear another tune from you  This has a huge Styx feel from the Dennis DeYoung Grand Illusion days.  Awesome music.  I don't know where I could begin to make this better.  Well done!  If I had one suggestion it would be that I would rather like to hear those synths in an interlude section rather than carrying the song and actually bring a vocal melody into the song, not unlike Styx did in the good old days.  I think it would be awesome.  It is great as an instrumental, but would be killer arranged with a lyric.  Just my $.02.  Great work.

Dave  

1 person likes this

A very cool instrumental track Paul! I could never put anything together like this...it's amazing :) I guess those samples wouldn't work in garageband, would they?

I think Dave might be right about having some lyrics and a vocalist sing on this track, but I like it as an instrumental as well :hippy:

1 person likes this

Whow... The opening is great...

This is really original what you did there...

Strange mixing of sounds... but it works, I find...

The final is sublime...

Amazing piece, Paul!

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I really don't think the virtual drum kit is working very well in this one, Paul.  First of all, I can barely hear the drums.  But even at a louder volume I think they would likely still sound too "small."  The whole kit is dead center and dry.  I suspect they might be loops intended for use in "alternative rock" - which I've found tend to be loops that are very dry and mono-sounding, from "small" sounding kits.  The rock beat in this is a great choice.  I just think this needs to have that rock beat come from a much bigger-sounding virtual drum kit.

As always, these are just my opinions, but that's all I've got. :)

David

P.S.  Very cool title.  I may have to steal it. :)

Edited by HoboSage
1 person likes this

5 hours ago, HoboSage said:

David

P.S.  Very cool title.  I may have to steal it. :)

I want to put it in a lyric.

-Mark

1 person likes this

On 2017-05-18 at 1:50 AM, GocartMoz said:

Good to hear another tune from you

Thanks. It's good to be back making music now that I'm finally done with my previous music project.

If I had one suggestion it would be that I would rather like to hear those synths in an interlude section rather than carrying the song and actually bring a vocal melody into the song

I tried to strike a balance between the original tracks that were originally the entire song, and my orchestra. The original tracks pretty much provided the chord structure as a background for whatever was to be added after that and I wanted them to poke in and out of the mix. When I was experimenting and took the synths out of the mix for a while, things sound a little thin. A synth tends to fill up the frequency spectrum and having the synths almost always playing, added a needed thickness to the background, Perhaps I could have had it at least fade in and out more instead of being a nearly constant presence to add more variety to the overall sound.

As for a vocal melody, yes it would be nice to have the right vocals, and generally I prefer music with vocals, but I'm only a camp fire singer at best so unless there are already vocals, I'm not in a position to add them.

Posted (edited)

On 2017-05-18 at 3:21 AM, crystalsuzy said:

A very cool instrumental track Paul! I could never put anything together like this...it's amazing

Thanks!

I guess those samples wouldn't work in garageband, would they?

I think you can load the samples into Garageband. From the video below, it looks like you can load up Sforzando into Garageband and then drag and drop a .sfz file (not a .wav file as shown in the video) into Sforzando.

Edited by Paul Battersby

19 hours ago, Matthew76 said:

Whow... The opening is great...

This is really original what you did there...

Thanks! After listening to it so many times myself as I was working on it, it becomes hard to tell if anyone else will like it.

Strange mixing of sounds... but it works

I like to use an orchestra in music where you might not expect it. Rock, Folk are my common targets, but the mostly synth based original tracks gave me plenty of ideas.

18 hours ago, HoboSage said:

I really don't think the virtual drum kit is working very well in this one, Paul.  First of all, I can barely hear the drums.  But even at a louder volume I think they would likely still sound too "small."  The whole kit is dead center and dry.

Maybe I've listened to this too much but the drums to me seem clear throughout the song. I can always hear the high hat and snare with the kick also letting it's presence be known.

You are right about the drums being mono and center. Mono is how they were given to me. I had no control over the individual drum pieces so I couldn't pan the hi-hat, cymbals or toms. Nor could I individually compress or EQ anything.

I suspect they might be loops

That was my impression as well, but I thought it worked.

P.S.  Very cool title.  I may have to steal it

If you use it and both our songs become big monster hits, won't that cause confusion? :D

On 2017-05-18 at 2:18 PM, HoboSage said:

I can barely hear the drums.

I've just made the following mixing changes some of which should help the drums:

• panned one guitar left, other right to better separate them from the orchestra (and each other)
  • removed unneeded low and high frequencies from synth to make room for the orchestra at higher and lower frequencies
  • added small db but wide range mid freq cut to entire orchestra to make room for the synth
  • boosted synth volume
  • boosted snare frequency in drum track
  • added low shelf to drum track to increase kick volume
  • changed the reverb plugin and increased it for the orchestra