SteveA

I give my life to You

SteveA    8

Thoughts anyone? You can mention anything on melody, mix, or lyrics.......

I give my life to You

Surrounded by Glory 
Sent from above
In the Holy of Holies
I’m lost in Your love

Heavenly fire
Glows deep inside me
A burning desire
To lay at Your feet

Lord I give my life to You
I dedicate my heart to You 
I give You everything I have
It’s the least that I can do
I give You all that I am
I give my life to You…..I give my life to You 

I’m a treasure out of darkness
Found by Your light
A diamond that’s priceless
Shining bright

I give You all that I am…..I give my life to You….. 

I give You all that I am

I_give_my_lif2U.WAV

Hi there. Nice song. To me it sounds a bit 'hesitant' at first. But when the guitar comes in, and the chorus starts, the song comes to life. It feels more complete from that point onwards all the way to the end. And not just in terms of composition and energy, but the entire production falls into place from that point onwards.

I think if you could tighten up the first verse to match the quality of the chorus and the rest of the song, you've got something really good there. 

Some suggestions to accomplish this:

• I would bring up the synth sound on the right slightly.
  • The first verse seems a bit sparse somehow, like it's missing something in the center, some kind of distant pad thing. Something playing one high note throughout, in a way that is audible only when you focus on it. One of those sounds that you don't 'hear' as a regular listener, but you notice it when it's taken away.
  • I would actually add some more reverb to the vocals in the first verse, to make them sound bigger. Something with a longer pre-delay, and with the highs and lows rolled off a bit, that bounces off the ends of the stereo field.
  • There's at least one place where the vocals could be cleaned up. From around 0:37, where you sing, "I'm lost in your love", is slightly out-of-tune. 
  • The piano coming in from around 0:44 sounds too dry and up-front. It needs to be pushed into the background more, and made a bit wider. 

Lastly, is there some sort of organ playing in my left ear in the second chorus? If so, bring it up, it sounds good. If not, maybe add one. Something like a B3.

Edited by Will Sketches

Kjelle    8

Lovely song, Steve. It reminds me of something I listened to in the past but can't remember what. Good to hear the old style coming back.

I like how you build up the song, very modest first and then successively adding parts to culminate with wonderful acoustic piano and guitar.

Do you perform everything yourself?

Congrats to you.

SteveA    8
1 hour ago, Kjelle said:

Lovely song, Steve. It reminds me of something I listened to in the past but can't remember what. Good to hear the old style coming back.

I like how you build up the song, very modest first and then successively adding parts to culminate with wonderful acoustic piano and guitar.

Do you perform everything yourself?

Congrats to you.

Thanks for the good word.....Yeah, it's all me on this track......

Jenn    171

I'm not sure you'll find this useful, but I find the track to be very dry.. There's no shimmer to it. From the moment it started it just sounded very stale. I think it has to do with some of the production, as I think the overall arrangement is great. There's just something that's missing that isn't allowing that extra needed hmph. Around 2:50 I also think some backing vocals would be nice, just some layered oo's and aah's.  

It's a good song overall. 

JH Michaels    70

Your vocals are very nice.....and the style is great.  But it was too slow of a start for me.....just a little more dynamic in the beginning would go a long way.   I think Jenn is on to something in that the song just didn't feel "full" to me...some other instrumentation in the background I think would help....like a soft violin woven through the chorus and later verse....just a thought.  over-all it's a good song.

SteveA    8
On 5/30/2017 at 2:22 PM, Will Sketches said:

Hi there. Nice song. To me it sounds a bit 'hesitant' at first. But when the guitar comes in, and the chorus starts, the song comes to life. It feels more complete from that point onwards all the way to the end. And not just in terms of composition and energy, but the entire production falls into place from that point onwards.

I think if you could tighten up the first verse to match the quality of the chorus and the rest of the song, you've got something really good there. 

• The first verse seems a bit sparse somehow, like it's missing something in the center, some kind of distant pad thing. Something playing one high note throughout, in a way that is audible only when you focus on it. One of those sounds that you don't 'hear' as a regular listener, but you notice it when it's taken away.

On 6/1/2017 at 10:11 AM, Jenn said:

. From the moment it started it just sounded very stale. I think it has to do with some of the production, as I think the overall arrangement is great. There's just something that's missing that isn't allowing that extra needed hmph.

On 6/1/2017 at 10:44 AM, JH Michaels said:

Your vocals are very nice.....and the style is great.  But it was too slow of a start for me.....just a little more dynamic in the beginning would go a long way.   I think Jenn is on to something in that the song just didn't feel "full" to me...some other instrumentation in the background I think would help....like a soft violin woven through the chorus and later verse....

I think the consensus here is a smidge more in the beginning.   I left it sparse for what I thought was a reason in the beginning, but maybe I miscalculated or under-calculated.  So I will see what I can add in the beginning while still keeping it sparse enough to let the rest of the arrangement kick in & still shine.  

I think I should pull out the TRITON EXTREME for the pads....should be interesting

But Jenn, we definitely don't want stale.  So I will need to look at that long and hard..... BGV's will be added for sure & maybe strings the final Chorus.  Hearing a few different arrangements..

This is the feedback I'm looking for and appreciate it.

Edited by SteveA

SteveA    8

Thanks to all who chimed in about the opening on this & how it was too sparse...I added a few things at the beginning...I was trying to still keep it open

I know, I know it needs BGV's, but I have some things stewing in my head...I just want to make certain it's the right vocal arrangement....Especially since i added more instruments

More concerned with the thoughts on the Pads (My old KORG TRITON EXTREME was pressed into duty on this one) in the 1st 2 verses...Also the violin from my other board.....

Especially from an arrangement standpoint, as I am adding more instruments, I need to be careful not to trample on my own arrangement....

Thoughts?

Edited by SteveA

Jenn    171

I think it sounds a lot better.. and was fun to listen to. The only thing that still sticks out is the lack of difference of the final full chorus around 3:00. I would bring back the noticeable synths you used in the opening verse.. the ones panned on the right. This would provide contrast while giving a full closure to the song..

But I think it's definitely getting there!

Edited by Jenn

Sounds a lot better with the pad in the first verse. It's a bit futuristic a sound compared to the rest of the production, but it's subtle enough to work. 

Nice one!

irwin    34

I like the way this song was arrangement and I do like the production overall. Cool song, ease listening.