ttec4u

Is anybody out there?

ttec4u    7

I'm not how sure there is any participation going on here. Was hoping to be critiqued on some poems I submitted, and have had only one comment on one poem.

And yes I did read and critique some of the poems I have read by others here. But have had these poems here now for what seems close to 3 or more weeks, and have yet

to be read by anyone.

Hi TT, 

Actually there is plenty of participation here.. but what I have noticed is that there aren't many visitors to the "Poets Corner" section. Just like there's less traffic in the "Covers" section. It's just that some sections are of greater interest than others. If you have only stayed in the poems section so far, I would suggest that you interact in the other boards because it gives a greater chance for others to know you (and vice-versa). For instance, if you like writing poems, maybe you're also interested in song writing? Lyrics section for you, then. Etc etc. Once the familiarity sets in among the other members, they will be more inclined to take a peek at your work even in lesser-visited boards. 

I was very new here just a few months ago but have stuck around to observe others and interact with them.. which has and is still contributing to my learning in a big way. I still have few views and comments to my poems but that's not stopping me from from picking up some tips from other people's work. Just give it a little time and focus on your learning which this site has plenty to provide.

Meanwhile, I'll go and check out your poems :)

Sreyashi/Sumi

Edited by Sreyashi Mukherjee
  • Like 1

tunesmithth    1,217

Sorry, but the poetry section is a new concept for us...something John added recently.

We've always concerned ourselves with musically-related topics & content, hence the name - Songstuff.  

Perhaps in time, we'll develop a reputation as a hub for the poetry-related?

Only time will tell.

Tom

• Like 1

ttec4u    7

Thank you guys......... I'll take your advice, though I'm a little lost in the music section. Maybe in time

I too will feel more comfortable.  Thanks again guys!

• Like 1

HoboSage    1,907

Aw.  You poor baby.  Should I cue the violins? :violinplay1:You might want to consider the initial impression you're making - at least on me. 

Aside from whining for attention like a child, you do so while unfairly condemning the site, and your complaint is bullshit to begin with.  That people are reading your posted poems is confirmed by the healthy number of views you have received - views reflect that, not comments.  And, it's not surprising you have plenty of views, because you've taken over the top six spots on that board - partly due to your poor forum etiquette, selfishly posting four - FOUR - poems the same day - June 2.  The truth is, I knew you were new here, and I was going to read and comment on your work until I saw that you posted four the same day.  Then, I decided not to, and I sure won't be reconsidering that decision now.

Edited by HoboSage
  • Like 1

Hobo, can you please comment on my poems? I didn't post them all on the same day :P

• Like 2

Ray888    159
10 hours ago, HoboSage said:

Aw.  You poor baby.  Should I cue the violins? :violinplay1:You might want to consider the initial impression you're making - at least on me. 

Aside from whining for attention like a child, you do so while unfairly condemning the site, and your complaint is bullshit to begin with.  That people are reading your posted poems is confirmed by the healthy number of views you have received - views reflect that, not comments.  And, it's not surprising you have plenty of views, because you've taken over the top six spots on that board - partly due to your poor forum etiquette, selfishly posting four - FOUR - poems the same day - June 2.  The truth is, I knew you were new here, and I was going to read and comment on your work until I saw that you posted four the same day.  Then, I decided not to, and I sure won't be reconsidering that decision now.

Hi Hobo, I'm not sure if all the posts are still here on the thread of if any have been deleted?

From what I have read above it feels like you may have treated this newcomer a little too harshly. I don't hear him condemning this site, I just hear him questioning why he hasn't received the amount of feedback he would have liked. I agree that 4 posts on the same day was a bit strong but I'm sure that once he was told he would have complied. I realise that you are admin and it's possible that I may have missed something here but I am not a person that can stand by and say nothing if I feel an injustice has taken place. It feels to me that you have ridiculed this guy. I hope I am wrong and that there is something more that I am unaware of.

HoboSage    1,907

I'm not "admin."  You're entitled to your opinion, Ray, as am I.  He posted this as a "Complaint" about the site, and his first sentence was "I'm not how [sic] sure there is any participation going on here."  I think that's an "injustice" to the site, and to all the members here participating - the implication given what he goes on to say being that if we're not commenting on his stuff, then we're really not participating.  And yeah, I called out what I see as a childish and selfish attitude.  I think asking why he's not getting all the attention he wants is a question he only should have asked himself, and is not a legitimate complaint about the site he should have posted.  But, that's just me.

Edited by HoboSage

HoboSage    1,907

I'll confess that my grouchiness about this probably has something to do with the fact that the whole pay-attention-to-me-on-the-internet mentality has really wore thin on me.

• Like 1

Ray888    159

Hi David, Maybe I'm thicker skinned than I thought I was but it didn't come across as a complaint to me. I saw a newcomer desperate for recognition and although he came across as immature I can remember a time when I was first starting out and needed affirmation. I don't know if you can remember yourself being in that same position or maybe you haven't?

Maybe it's just a case of us seeing things through different eyes. I have a tendency towards compassion because I see beyond how a person comes across. Yes your entitled to your opinion David, I guess that I was just hoping that you might glimpse him from a different perspective. 

It's possible that my own perspective is skewiff but my nature is to go where angels fear to tread. For some unknown reason I thought you were admin so I apologize for getting that wrong. I still feel the same about my view of ttec4U

HoboSage    1,907

He posted this in "Complaint and Bugs," not in "Help and Support."  And regardless, I think he was clearly complaining.  And, just because I distinguish between needing affirmation and demanding attention, that doesn't mean I lack compassion - unless you're choosing to glimpse me that way. :)

Edited by HoboSage
  • Like 1

Ray888    159
8 hours ago, HoboSage said:

I'll confess that my grouchiness about this probably has something to do with the fact that the whole pay-attention-to-me-on-the-internet mentality has really wore thin on me.

Yeah, us humans are prone to that sometimes lol.[smiley=vuur1.gif]

Ray888    159
7 hours ago, HoboSage said:

He posted this in "Complaint and Bugs," not in "Help and Support."  And regardless, I think he was clearly complaining.  And, just because I distinguish between needing affirmation and demanding attention, that doesn't mean I lack compassion - unless you're choosing to glimpse me that way. :)

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh it makes a lot more sense to me now. So your not so nasty after all. Hopefully he would have learnt a lesson just like I have lol. Ssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmeeeeeeeeeee :o

HoboSage    1,907

Well Ray, you got me to actually give him some feedback on a poem, which I thought was quite good.  So, no, I'm not all prick, all the time.  LOL  Thanks. :)

• Like 1

Richard Tracey    252
40 minutes ago, HoboSage said:

Well Ray, you got me to actually give him some feedback on a poem, which I thought was quite good.  So, no, I'm not all prick, all the time.  LOL  Thanks. :)

You mean you didn't boycott him.........:grindance:

• Like 1

Ray888    159
1 hour ago, HoboSage said:

Ahhh now that wasn't too difficult was it? your not the tin man after all.

I also gave him some feedback on one of his lyrics lol. I think that we must be saints as well as sinners lol :001_rolleyes: 

Ray888    159
35 minutes ago, Richard Tracey said:

You mean you didn't boycott him.........:grindance:

Or me lol :D

ttec4u    7

Well Ho Bo....... at the time I had posted my comments........... I had no views or comments that I know off. And I had read and commented on no less than four poems

posted by members.  And I was looking forward to being critiqued.  I think I waited a week or so with "no views"  so then I posted my comments. And its not "pay attention to me" as you would have people to believe! As I stated...  I did wait quite a while before commenting.  I think your attitude kinda sucks! You could have said or responded to me many ways.. but you chose to belittle and  chastise rather than help and understand. I'm new to this site.. it took me a while to even figure out how to submit anything. I didn't think anything of submitting four poems. Should I?  Is there a problem with that? With your attitude.. I'm sure people are just pouring in.. only to turn around and pull out.  Thanks for all the kind words... and "understanding"!      Thank you Ray for at least a better understanding.

Ray888    159

ttec4U

I think that David was a little harsh but he did have a point that you had posted on the complaints board. David did say that he critiqued one of your poems after that so it should have been water under the bridge by now. Everyone has an off day now and again and David is not usually like that. I fully understand what he meant by his mention of "pay-attention-to-me-on-the-internet mentality" and the selfishness of many on the internet does tend to annoy the people who give their time and expertise for free. David's a good guy so give him some slack and move on.

Your doing OK now and are receiving feedback that you wanted. Sometimes you need to take responsibility for your actions and in this case it was probably 50/50 and none of us are perfect.

Richard Tracey    252

Okay, I wasn't going to comment on this, but I will.

some members have been on this site for a while and have experienced the actions of newer members who do not want to get involved or become a part of the community. They are only looking for gratification and not able to take critique or willing to give in return.

posting four poems can be seen by some as a bit over the top for someone who has just joined, especially if you are wanting members to give you critique. It can be seen as a 'look at me' behaviour, whether it is meant that way or not.

as was also pointed out, the poem section doesn't tend to get many members visiting and if you want people to go there are read your posts and comment, you are best to go into the other parts of the site and get your name showing up, commenting, getting involved and then the members will look you out.

there is an etiquette that you post one item at a time, but not all at the same time. You don't want to crowd the boards with your stuff, you need to give others a chance to be seen and heard as well.

some new members join, post, don't get what they want and leave. I find that is a shame, because if they stuck around, they would find a decent bunch of people, who are willing to help out and provide great feedback, some of it very detailed.

if you stick around, you will get to know everyone's character and they will get to know yours.

i believe a lot of what David says is to protect the site from people who aren't really interested in anything but themselves and that is not what we have here. John created this site, but the members make it what it is and that is a great little piece of the internet that I love to visit every day (even when I have too much on), see what everyone is saying and listen to some great songs.

sometimes it can take a while for people to comment on your stuff as they want to see you contributing first.

• Like 1

ttec4u    7

I guess its a good thing I posted only 4, rather than 40.

• Like 1

HoboSage    1,907

Yes. I chose to belittle and chastise you, because I believed then, and I still believe now, you deserved it for posting this bullshit "complaint" about this site and its members.  But, by doing so, I was sincerely trying to help you understand . . . help you understand that you were being a selfish brat demanding attention.  But I agree, my attitude really does suck.

5 hours ago, ttec4u said:

I guess its a good thing I posted only 4, rather than 40.

Good one!  LOL

P.S.  I feel like I'm among friends here.  You should too.  But, when a friend is acting like a dick, we should tell 'em so.  That's what friends do, right?  I told you off, you told me off.  See, we're friends already! <heh-heh>

Edited by HoboSage
  • Like 1

Ray888    159

NOW CAN WE LET SLEEPING DOGS DIE AND GET ON WITH EACH OTHER?

WE'VE ALL BEEN A DICKHEAD AT SOMETIME IN OUR LIVES LOL :blush:

Mahesh    478

Oh my. You guys have thrown a party down here fellas!

P.S Glad the point was made and the intended point was received despite the um.. party stuff. 

Good day you guys!

• Like 1

Ray888    159
21 minutes ago, Mahesh said:

Oh my. You guys have thrown a party down here fellas!

P.S Glad the point was made and the intended point was received despite the um.. party stuff. 

Good day you guys!

I may be a little slow on the uptake here Mahesh but "what is party stuff"?

Mahesh    478
36 minutes ago, Ray888 said:

I may be a little slow on the uptake here Mahesh but "what is party stuff"?

Whatever happened here, that's what lol

Ray888    159
14 minutes ago, Mahesh said:

Whatever happened here, that's what lol

I'm sure that they will both move on from it, being that it's all part of a human's growing process, and as the song goes "we're only human after all, we're only human after all, don't put the blame on me, lol. :001_smile:

Mahesh    478
1 minute ago, Ray888 said:

I'm sure that they will both move on from it, being that it's all part of a human's growing process, and as the song goes "we're only human after all, we're only human after all, don't put the blame on me, lol. :001_smile:

Oh yes of course. Healthy stuff! 

Besides, you know what they say Ray - "All is fair in love and party stuff"

• Like 1