• Announcements

• Songstuff

New Chat App   06/02/2017

We have a new chat app available. You will need to sign up for it. You can pick up the invite link at the top of your member hub page:   http://forums.songstuff.com/member/hub/   Remember to use your Songstuff registered email and user name when you sign up! Using the invite link will automatically add you to the Songstuff chat channel.
moptop

Night Stripper demo with vocals

11 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Night Stripper demo with some vocals.  Not a finished product yet but I think you'll get the idea I was going for listening.

Take care, moptop

Edited by moptop

Posted (edited)

I dunno... I'm sure it's intended to be a play on Day Tripper, but unless you're doing a 'Rutles' kind of comedy thing (Neil Innes and Eric Idle did a fantastic job didn't they?) then I think it's a road to nowhere really. I don't think you can take so many elements of such a well known and loved song to make a new one without people thinking...'hmmm it's like Day Tripper, but not as good'. Just my very honest opinion.

That said, I thought it was well performed. Just the mix all sounded very distant.

Edit - I imagine 'Night Stripper' could be a humorous twist on it, but... unless it's a UK vs US sense of humour thing, I didn't feel like you were joking. Now I'm not sure...

Edited by MonoStone

I don't quite understand what you were trying to do with this.. An interpretation of Day Tripper? A parody? a tribute? Because like @MonoStone said, it just sounds like a not so good version of Day Tripper. I think if I heard this playing somewhere, I would just want to go listen to the Beatles. But it is good production but distant. If you could give us more insight as to what you want the listener to get, we could help more. 

Posted (edited)

Here is a link to a better mix.  See it still sounds too distant. Yes It does parody Day Tripper but in a reverse sort of way. It's also a spoof on the "Big Hair Bands" of the 80's,  hence all the delay and reverb.  I guess you could compare it to The Beatles Day Tripper but if that is all your going to do then there's no way I can win.  It's just a song about a guy who is dating  a great woman that happens to be a stripper and he's wondering how he is going to tell his folks what she does for a living.  You can read what ever you want into it but it's nothing more than that. It's just my way of pushing  the envelope a bit. 

Thanks very much for your comments.  I do appreciate them and glad you respect me enough to tell me your true thoughts.  that's how we learn!

Edited by moptop

6 hours ago, moptop said:

glad you respect me enough to tell me your true thoughts

You're clearly a really talented musician. So my feedback was with respect, yes, and I suppose just confusion at why you would choose to use that riff and some other elements from Day Tripper, when you have the talent to play and sing something totally original. And the rhyme Stripper/Tripper suggested comedy but I just didn't get the joke...but for the same reasons I found it hard to take seriously... and I don't mean that disrespectfully, I just think it's bound to be that way for many people (for all the reasons already said :) ) 

The new mix still sounds distant to me. I think maybe it's down to reverb as it sounds like it's recorded in a big empty space.

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, MonoStone said:

You're clearly a really talented musician. So my feedback was with respect, yes

and I knew that. I never thought you were being demeaning or disrespectful at all.  I took it as constructive criticism for sure.  I was just thanking you for that because I have been on some other forums where board members were ........not so nice,  if you understand what I mean here. 

I guess you have to know me and my off color old guy humor to know where I come up with some of this stuff.  The verses are all done...in reverse.  Day as oppose to Night,  Got a good reason as oppose to there's NO good reason, she's a big teaser she takes me half the way there as opposed to she's NO teaser she takes me All the way there.   Stupid, campy, yeah, very much,...but FUN, light hearted, and playful.  And when you add in that the guy is really sweating on what his folks are going to think just adds to the goofiness of the whole song.  

take care, moptop

Posted (edited)

I get what others are saying, but I can also appreciate what you're doing and how tricky it is to do it.  I think what is confusing folks is that it kind of sounds like a 'cover' of the song (but with alternate lyrics), AND it also sounds like a "copy" of the song in terms of the instrumentation and arrangement - think "Tribute."  Usually, when people cover something - they put a unique musical stamp on it, and when they are paying tribute, they don't mess with it - especially not the lyric.

My opinion: By changing the lyric by using a well-known song and being faithful to so many elements of it AND changing the lyric, you suggest it is parody.  BTW, I do this all the time where I work. At least a couple times a year, whenever a long-time employee retires, I am tasked with taking a well-known song - writing a custom lyric to it and performing it with colleagues.  I've probably written a few dozen of these over the last 10 or 15 years - and without trivializing the value of the end-product (I put a lot of work researching and writing them and though some of them are fun or funny, others are quite serious and heart-felt), I would still characterize this type of cover as a parody. 

Edited by M57
1 person likes this

3 hours ago, M57 said:

I think what is confusing folks

I was only confused as I couldn't see the funny side. As I said in my first reply.... Rutles.... Trouble is, whilst it's hard to do musically to nail the parody... so much hangs on it being funny... Even the Rutles wouldn't have been funny without the mocumentary. ;)  And those songs were done very skillfully and would have stood up as great songs in their own right if it wasn't for the comparison....and that was my point really... I think ;)  

Here is a better mix with less effects applied.

take care, moptop

This is so good!!! I love it

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, AlexOConnor said:

This is so good!!! I love it

Alex, thanks a lot!