• Announcements

• Songstuff

New Chat App   06/02/2017

We have a new chat app available. You will need to sign up for it. You can pick up the invite link at the top of your member hub page:   http://forums.songstuff.com/member/hub/   Remember to use your Songstuff registered email and user name when you sign up! Using the invite link will automatically add you to the Songstuff chat channel.
jonlint

New Rough Rock Song Idea

6 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I find it almost impossible to give feedback on something that is missing the key ingredient of a song: the melody. This song could either turn out good or bad, there is no way to tell. I would say that even some of the best rock songs in history are reduced to something quite repetitive and boring if you were to take out the vocals. Doesn't matter if the guitar riff is "Highway to Hell", or "Enter Sandman". That's not to say that a riff can't be the main hook in a song (I could listen to the second groove riff part of Pantera's "Domination" on repeat, no problem), though, but at the end of the day, it's all there to support the vocals.

I will say one thing and that is that I think the riff of the chorus isn't that much different from that of the verse. It doesn't help that they both start with the same chord. But again, this might not be a deal breaker at all if the vocals are right!

Edited by Will Sketches

Posted (edited)

I agree with Will that it's impossible to judge the 'song' without the vocals... but... I think what you've done so far sounds great. And my opinion is the melody just needs to be good, it could even be quite predictable, but the singer needs to be awesome and ...right for the song. It needs a star.

From time to time I felt like the timing of the riff was just a teeny tiny fraction out, not 'wrong' but could a touch tighter to help me groove/move with it. Something felt ever so slightly awkward.

Again, it needs a star to prevent it sounding too ...typical... I look forward to hearing it sung.

Edited by MonoStone

Posted (edited)

Based just on what is and isn't pleasing to my ear, I think the section that first appears from about 0:58 to 1:16 should not be there.  I don't know if it's supposed to the second part of an overly-long pre-chorus, or is supposed to be the chorus, but to me, the wide-open progression that follows that section (and is also part of the intro) is the best part and should be the chorus progression, and it should first come at that 0:58 mark right after the progression for what I hear as a pre-chorus finishes, and I think that "chorus" should be repeated and be taking the song out at the end.  I do think this also could use a bridge section, so maybe the progression from 0:58 to 1:16 could be used for that - though I think a heavier-sounding and less commonplace progression would work better.

Just my personal opinion.

Edited by HoboSage

Johnathan, this has got a damn good groove to it!!! can't wait for some lyrics to follow.  Great sounding recording too.  Excellent work in progress. 

Take care, moptop

Hi there,

Thanks for the feedback.  Have some initial ideas for lyrics - recorded them quickly.  Not my best performance and still not 100% happy.  Feedback welcome:

FEARLESS UNAFRAID
(Words by Jonathan Linton, Music by Jonathan Linton)
A leap of faith I take
It’s too late
To procrastinate
Dreams and fears are packed
Wheels hit tarmac
There’s no going back

One foot, in front of the other
There’s a whole world to discover

Future’s not certain for me
But I move on
Fearless unfraid
Master of my destiny