Your Ad Could Be Here

New Member? What is your initial impression of Songstuff?

Hi

Are you a recent member, or at least inexperienced with our site and community?

Would you be willing to share your first impression? What do you like about the site? What do you think could be improved, and how?

Cheers

John

• Noob

So far I like it. I've been logged out a few times randomly, but it's not a huge problem. I'm yet to really immerse myself in the community, but so far it seems easy going.

I was a member a few years back and circumstances took me away. I have been back on Songstuff for just over a month now and the community has grown since I was last here. I've found that there are some very experienced members who are very helpful concerning all aspects of music and the industry especially willing to give their time and expertise to both newcomers and pro's. A great place to improve your knowledge and songwriting skills, Always a warm welcome to new members whatever their skill level. 

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

It is a little frustrating a times. Seems that that are rules/guidelines in place to encourage participation. I am trying to confirm to those rules. two critiques per song posted is fair, reputation threshold seems fair, and a post number threshold would seem fair had it not happened after I had already posted.

So I chose to post my first song in the showcase forum because of these rules. I didn't want to come across as someone looking for critiques without putting in the work to do the same. So, while I was working on critiques I posted a song in the showcase so that people could get a feel for my style. Up to that point I had met the rules/guidelines that were in place.

I had a couple comments/questions on that post, but now I can't reply to them.

Entirely frustrating!

2 hours ago, mwil1973 said:

It is a little frustrating a times. Seems that that are rules/guidelines in place to encourage participation. I am trying to confirm to those rules. two critiques per song posted is fair, reputation threshold seems fair, and a post number threshold would seem fair had it not happened after I had already posted.

So I chose to post my first song in the showcase forum because of these rules. I didn't want to come across as someone looking for critiques without putting in the work to do the same. So, while I was working on critiques I posted a song in the showcase so that people could get a feel for my style. Up to that point I had met the rules/guidelines that were in place.

I had a couple comments/questions on that post, but now I can't reply to them.

Entirely frustrating!

Sorry a couple of things moved about... tha5 might be the problem.... I will look int9 it

22 minutes ago, john said:

Sorry a couple of things moved about... tha5 might be the problem.... I will look int9 it

I'm on to you. :)  http://www.askelm.com/secrets/sec059.htm

59 minutes ago, Just1L said:

Just a joke about the hidden 5 and 9 in the message. ;)  Or "thumbo©®™" as it may be.

Edited by Just1L

On 11/21/2017 at 8:49 AM, john said:

Thanks but I'm pretty sure it has everything to do the this;

"Members need to have made a MINIMUM OF 30 POSTS in order to post a showcase request."

2 hours ago, mwil1973 said:

Thanks but I'm pretty sure it has everything to do the this;

"Members need to have made a MINIMUM OF 30 POSTS in order to post a showcase request."

Actually your post was moved (along with all the rest) to the Collections board, which is for members to showcase their work to fellow members, while the main showcase board will be used for commercial standard releases that the site will showcase. This was how most members were using the showcase board.  When we created the board it was created by duplicating the settings of the Showcase Request board (also a new board, just created first. Your song was originally posted to the old showcase board.). The board is meant to be 30 posts before a topic can be made there. The collection board is supposed to be 5. The setting has been updated so you should be able to see your topic and respond. Sorry for the confusion and inconvenience.

The new Showcase board is to all intents and purposes a new board too. We are looking at the potential of a radio show to showcase the.seletced songs. Not all reuqests for showcase will be approved. The need for approval based on quality was also always the intention of the original showcase board, just like submitting a work to be showcased on any magazine or radio show... submission is not a guarantee of being showcased.

Meanwhile “Collections” will function to showcase those collections to fellow members. We might make it open to public at some point depending on member input.

I and other staff will be going through previous showcase submissions and collections board posts such that individual selected songs will either go to the member only showcase request board, the showcase board itself, or where it is a collection post, it will remain on the collection board. Only staff can put something on the showcase board itself.

This gives us a board that fulfils the way members were using the board (collections board) and the way it was planned to be (the showcase board itself)

The mistake and the lack of communication were down to me having to deal with a number of unplanned things (including taking my father to hospital, which trumps anything I had planned)

I will also update the board descriptions to make this clearer. Sorry again!

41 minutes ago, john said:

The board is meant to be 30 posts before a topic can be made there. The collection board is supposed to be 5.

After review this is now:

Showcase Request

20 posts to post your own work. No restriction to reply to someone else’s post.

Collection Board

1 previous post, to allow you to create your own topic. There is no restriction on replying