Your Ad Could Be Here

Pics Of Your Studio

If you want to post a pic of your studio I would love to see it. I recommend stripping location data from the pics before posting.

I might put a pic up but right now I'm embarrassed by how cluttered it is. And I might actually have to dust in there. I hope dust isn't flammable.

If you copy and paste one of those Hollywood million dollar studios we are going to know it wasn't you :)

• Like 2

This is my studio and vocal booth in my home which was all built by my own hands including the base traps at the rear which have over 400 holes drilled and sanded. My fingers were sore for days after lol. 

Studio.JPG

Base traps Rear.JPG

vocal booth.JPG

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Jenn said:

All its glory

just kidding.. I don't know how to post a picture

If you go to the top of the page and click on "reply to topic" top right it will take you to a post where you can upload your pictures. I think that's how I did it if I am remembering correctly.

You will see below where you are to post your script it says "Drag files here to attach".

Edited by Ray888

15 minutes ago, Jenn said:

In all its glory

IMG_7481.JPG

Looks like a very comfortable place to work in lol. Lying in bed is a great place for lyrical inspiration.

Richard I like the nice light you have coming into your studio and you've given yourself easy access to all of your gear. Are those tweeter enhancers on the monitors :) I need to invest in something like the mopads ( or similar) that you're using. Do they seem to help?

Ray888 your studio looks well designed. Has a very tidy look. Did you make the desk? I can tell you put a lot of thought into the layout and sound control. AND you even have a dedicated vocal tracking booth.

Jenn- You can make music and put it online which is probably one of the important things for you, plus you can grab a nap anytime!

Edited by starise
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, starise said:

Richard I like the nice light you have coming into your studio and you've given yourself easy access to all of your gear. Are those tweeter enhancers on the monitors :) I need to invest in something like the mopads ( or similar) that you're using. Do they seem to help?

Ray888 your studio looks well designed. Has a very tidy look. Did you make the desk? I can tell you put a lot of thought into the layout and sound control. AND you even have a dedicated vocal tracking booth.

Jenn- You can make music and put it online which is probably one of the important things for you, plus you can grab a nap anytime!

I don't have the same pads as Richard, I made mine myself from a thin heavy layer of stiff rubber at the bottom glued to a 20mm acoustic foam for the speakers to rest on. Yes, they do help stop vibration from penetrating the shelf below. Making them yourself is easy and far less expensive than purchasing highly priced ones that don't function any better than mine. I know because I have used several makes in the past. I have a brand new pair of Iso Acoustic stands that came with my Neumann monitors that I don't use because my monitors would be too high.

Yes I did spend time thinking about the design and changed the plan several times before deciding on the final one. I have designed several studio's in the past one being Resident Studio's in Willesden London which I was a director of during the late 1990s. My studio now is well treated for sound and as you can see from the photo's I have floor to ceiling base traps in all 4 corners and also I have placed 2 ft long base traps central to the ceiling on all four junctions with the walls. I knew I would need as much base trap as possible without totally deadening the room because of it's small size. The control area is only 8` X 6` with an equally sized vocal booth.

Nice studio Tom. BTW you wouldn't bore me with pics of your home studio :)

I at one time researched a similar setup to your friends but couldn't get my basement space managed and probably won't in the near future unless the unforeseeable happens.

There are a few local studios close that could probably cover in the event that I needed to track more than a few musicians. Not my first choice but a viable option for those with smaller spaces. In your case I guess it wouldn't cost you anything. The old school approach is apparent in the analog I/O which still is tough to beat.

43 minutes ago, Ray888 said:

I don't have the same pads as Richard, I made mine myself from a thin heavy layer of stiff rubber at the bottom glued to a 20mm acoustic foam for the speakers to rest on. Yes, they do help stop vibration from penetrating the shelf below. Making them yourself is easy and far less expensive than purchasing highly priced ones that don't function any better than mine. I know because I have used several makes in the past. I have a brand new pair of Iso Acoustic stands that came with my Neumann monitors that I don't use because my monitors would be too high.

Thanks for this info.

43 minutes ago, Ray888 said:

Yes I did spend time thinking about the design and changed the plan several times before deciding on the final one. I have designed several studio's in the past one being Resident Studio's in Willesden London which I was a director of during the late 1990s. My studio now is well treated for sound and as you can see from the photo's I have floor to ceiling base traps in all 4 corners and also I have placed 2 ft long base traps central to the ceiling on all four junctions with the walls. I knew I would need as much base trap as possible without totally deadening the room because of it's small size. The control area is only 8` X 6` with an equally sized vocal booth.

You have done a lot with a small space and I could tell you seemed to have had some prior experience. It must be more common than I knew for a full time engineer to have the studio at work and then a second one at home for  further mixing or light tracking. In your case you seem to have scaled down to a more manageable setup that is immediately available, or maybe you don't want as much work as you had before and prefer to mix and/or create as a past time. This puts my studio to shame in terms of sound control. Great work on it Ray! Is it ok if I call you Ray?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, starise said:

Hey Tim - yeah, it was actually sunny when I took the picture so that was a bonus.

The mopads are Adam Hall ones I got off Amazon. I ordered a set and they were too large, so ordered smaller ones with the intention of sending the others back, but ended up keeping them as they raised the speakers to the correct height. They were well priced and it would probably have cost me just as much to buy the material and the time involved in making them.

They do seem to help, but I don't have my music playing through them very much at the moment as I get moaned at by my daughters!!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, starise said:

Thanks for this info.

You have done a lot with a small space and I could tell you seemed to have had some prior experience. It must be more common than I knew for a full time engineer to have the studio at work and then a second one at home for  further mixing or light tracking. In your case you seem to have scaled down to a more manageable setup that is immediately available, or maybe you don't want as much work as you had before and prefer to mix and/or create as a past time. This puts my studio to shame in terms of sound control. Great work on it Ray! Is it ok if I call you Ray?

Hi Starise,

Yes it is very true that I have downsized my studio. I am not a recording engineer although I work with some. I have a lot of technical ability in design and designed this one in the mid 1990s which I worked out of with my partners. http://www.residentstudios.com/ It was called Stepping stone studio's at the time and I ran a production company "Thirdeye music productions from there until 2000. Much of it hasn't changed although the desk back then was an Oram 48 channel and we were recording with 24 track 2 inch tape and three 8 channel Adats digital. We used soundscape for editing.  Funny thing is that apart from being able to record ensembles, choirs and large bands in the huge live room it is possible nowadays to obtain as good recordings in a home studio. The biggest difference is that the rent for a home studio is miniscule to what you would pay for a large complex like I was in back then. I don't have a basement because I live on the 3rd and 4th floor of an apartment building in central London. I have a lot of experience with sound control and build my son a studio in his house. He does Dance music so needed me to design it so that not even the Low base when cranked up could be heard by his neighbours. I consider my main speciality to be lyrics although I do wear a few other hats in the music industry. Too many at times but it keeps me busy.

I will private message you about calling me.

I think that you may have meant calling me by name and not by phone lol. I'll message you anyway.

Regards, Ray

Edited by Ray888
  • Like 1

On 28/06/2017 at 9:28 PM, Jenn said:

makeshift shadows ^_^

Your obviously a fan of Tracy Emmet lol.

Richard, thank you for that info. I also looked at this but I want a used pair. New is too much money.

stands

3 hours ago, Ray888 said:

Yes it is very true that I have downsized my studio. I am not a recording engineer although I work with some. I have a lot of technical ability in design and designed this one in the mid 1990s which I worked out of with my partners. http://www.residentstudios.com/ It was called Stepping stone studio's at the time and I ran a production company "Thirdeye music productions from there until 2000. Much of it hasn't changed although the desk back then was an Oram 48 channel and we were recording with 24 track 2 inch tape and three 8 channel Adats digital. We used soundscape for editing.  Funny thing is that apart from being able to record ensembles, choirs and large bands in the huge live room it is possible nowadays to obtain as good recordings in a home studio. The biggest difference is that the rent for a home studio is miniscule to what you would pay for a large complex like I was in back then. I don't have a basement because I live on the 3rd and 4th floor of an apartment building in central London. I have a lot of experience with sound control and build my son a studio in his house. He does Dance music so needed me to design it so that not even the Low base when cranked up could be heard by his neighbours. I consider my main speciality to be lyrics although I do wear a few other hats in the music industry. Too many at times but it keeps me busy.

I will private message you about calling me.

I think that you may have meant calling me by name and not by phone lol. I'll message you anyway.

Thanks Ray I received the PM. Very generous of you and thank you! I agree, we can do most of it ITB now. I have a basement, but I don't really have a basement. Let me explain. My wife has commandeered it and it would take a week just to clean it out. She keeps everything. I don't want to talk her down. We are different suffice it to say. You and I are in a similar situation even though we might live in different spaces. I would love to hear more about your experiences in London!

• Like 1

Well here goes. I didn't dust. Please don't enlarge the pictures. Curtained area is my microphone closet among other things. There are two more keyboards in one closet. The room is too small to set them up.

IMG_1483.thumb.JPG.3464fd86514902c2d9983b6c6e1ac236.JPGIMG_1484.thumb.JPG.3e074afd81e3698b3f1c61394fd9a8f4.JPGIMG_1486.thumb.JPG.e8dac2dd9f4d7ce1e512ca9f2abf63e5.JPGIMG_1488.thumb.JPG.63399fdebc51e564715c6f03db07f0a4.JPGIMG_1485.thumb.JPG.559596556f7e9a0473c535146e339918.JPGIMG_1480.thumb.JPG.94a8afbf6d893275d303d2ab25df996c.JPG

IMG_1489.thumb.JPG.253838049411c11b308a31bff19ea36e.JPG

• Like 4

I almost forgot about this. One of the favorite things in my studio was hiding behind the camera tripod.

MUAHAHAHAHAHAAH!!!!!!!!!!!!:excl::blink::blink:

IMG_1494.thumb.JPG.0c0a083239eafb98c89139b43319247b.JPG

• Like 4

2 hours ago, starise said:

I almost forgot about this. One of the favorite things in my studio was hiding behind the camera tripod.

MUAHAHAHAHAHAAH!!!!!!!!!!!!:excl::blink::blink:

IMG_1494.thumb.JPG.0c0a083239eafb98c89139b43319247b.JPG

Very zen.

• Like 1

Starise - Yes your studio definitely looks a little cluttered lol. If a small space has a good design it's surprising how neat you can make it. If you don't manage to move from your basement to a larger room I can always help out with a design if you provide me with a plan of your space. (for free). 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ray888 said:

Starise - Yes your studio definitely looks a little cluttered lol. If a small space has a good design it's surprising how neat you can make it. If you don't manage to move from your basement to a larger room I can always help out with a design if you provide me with a plan of your space. (for free). 

Thank you!

• Like 1

On 6/30/2017 at 1:55 AM, Richard Tracey said:

Very zen.

It has a sound setting so that it comes on at a certain level of sound. If it lights up I'm mixing too loud :)

• Like 2

On 6/29/2017 at 3:59 PM, Richard Tracey said:

They do seem to help, but I don't have my music playing through them very much at the moment as I get moaned at by my daughters!!!!

Ugh. Maybe they could join in singing sometime? That might warm them to the idea.