Your Ad Could Be Here

Pics Of Your Studio

Starise - Alternatively you could make a large soundproof box so that your daughters have somewhere to escape to when you play your music loud lol. :D

• Like 1

• Noob

I still have some work to do with my side walls as I need some diffusion (made too many absorbers), but so far, this is my baby :D. I also stream a little hence the mic on the desk as well. Monitor and mic stand can also be swiveled out of the way to avoid metal ringing when mixing and blocking. The room is basically a square and with those speakers, it made a lot of sense to absorb and bass trap like no tomorrow. But, I actually overdid it to the point where I needed to take some absorbers down; hated the sound with all them up (sounded like a 60Hz wave was pulsating through my head constantly with nothing playing)!  Now I need to diffuse a little as I have two dead sections and one very live ringy section.

Problems aside, it's usable and listenable given the time...as with all rooms I guess. Just can't wait to get the diffusers up.

Studio2017.jpg

• Like 2

I think that one of your problems may be the size of your monitors compared to the size of your room.  I would advise you to situate your right hand screen above your larger monitor at an angle down because as a rule of thumb it is always a good thing to keep the monitor wall as symmetrical as possible.

Also I would advise that you place some thick absorbers behind your monitor speakers because it will help prevent reflections from the wall behind.

One more thing you could do is to hang some heavy curtains to the window which would prevent high frequencies bouncing back at you, or fit louvered wooden blinds leaving them at a 45 degree angle which would act as a diffuser.

Obtaining a balanced sound especially for mixing purposes is one of the hardest things to achieve and it will probably amount to much trial and error before you get it right.

My studio is a lot smaller than yours so I am using 5 inch Neuman KH120s which is as large as I dare risk. I have had a much larger studio in the past using 14 inch questeds but still used Yamaha NS 10s and cubes for reference.

Looks like you have a decent setup though.

Edited by Ray888

• Noob

I like the louvered wooden blinds idea as a diffuser! 

I might actually give that a shot; been meaning to redo the window treatment.

As for behind the monitors, I'm pretty much at my limit on adequate absorption directly behind them since they're deep cabinets, also since I'd need at least 4 - 6" of absorption for that to really be effective. As a tip from Ethan, I vaguely remember him saying to leave it off in this case since I can't get farther from the wall. Though I do have them angled as best as I can at the corners which are super trapped to a depth of 2 feet with different types of insulation (both 703 and rock wool), and I at least have the first reflection points covered with 2" traps with a 2" air gap. Checking the triangle as well, measurements to create the sweet spot with a equilateral triangle from both speakers and the listening position seems pretty good. Also did a lot of measurements with an omni.

Definitely was a lot better than it was, but honestly, I really don't want the room too dead; bothers me after a while.     

Edited by XTREEMMAK
  • Like 1

A bit messy ATM, but here is the main bit... behind to right and left are guitars, amps etc. Just now I have an Isovox2 set up for a review instead of the usual movable baffle.

IMG_0006.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0007.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0005.JPG

• Like 5

One point of interest, is the reduction in hardware in my studio. That said, I need a new control surface or three!

• Like 2

Hey John, I can't work out if that keyboard is really curved or whether it is trick photography. Is that a Mackie control surface your using, how do you find it and are you happy with it's functions? I have been looking around for a controller that has smooth auto faders and works with both protools and logic pro.

I have checked out the SSL Nucleus, Avid A3, and Icon Qcon pro X but they all seem to have problems from what I have read on forums like Gearlutz. I am limited for space which doesn't help. I only have 14 inch deep space in front of my outboard equipment which means thet the SSL would hang over the front a little. 

What monitor speakers are you using John?

I like the layout of your studio. Has lots of room to move, and the analog gear looks great! 

If you're looking for a large Mackie type surface there are a few recent comers offering those. I scanned over a few quickly in the sweetwater catalog, but I didn't look at it very deep at the time.

If you simply want to work a few tracks, a decent keyboard controller can do that. I can take control of pretty much anything from the sliders and knobs on my keyboard. For me this works well since music and control input is right in front of me. Might not be enough control for you though.

4 hours ago, starise said:

I like the layout of your studio. Has lots of room to move, and the analog gear looks great! 

If you're looking for a large Mackie type surface there are a few recent comers offering those. I scanned over a few quickly in the sweetwater catalog, but I didn't look at it very deep at the time.

If you simply want to work a few tracks, a decent keyboard controller can do that. I can take control of pretty much anything from the sliders and knobs on my keyboard. For me this works well since music and control input is right in front of me. Might not be enough control for you though.

Thanks but my options are very limited with my layout because the controller either needs to fit in my centre rack which I can easily adapt or it needs to fit in a space that is maximum 39 inches wide bX 14 inches deep. I do have a midi keyboard controller which is an Axiom 61 note but I need a controller which has great auto faders. I have just seen the Avid artist mix but I don't know if they will work with Protools and Logic or if the auto faders are as good as the SSL or Avid S3. It will be a long term investment so I don't want to make a purchase that I regret. I did so much research before I purchased the Neumann KH120s because they weren't cheap and am very happy with them. I want to be as happy when I purchase a control surface. I really love the look of the Icon Qcon pro X but it seems to be going through a lot of teething problems with it's software interfacing and the master fader on the unit was not syncing with protools or Logic the last time I checked on forums. I'm hoping that a reliable company makes a unit that will suit my set-up but I can only pray lol.

• Like 1

Nice setup John!