ImKeN

PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD. Thank you.

ImKeN    262

UPDATE(July,13): 

THREAD IS NOW CLOSED. THANKS EVERYONE!

_________________________________________________________________________________

UPDATE(July,12): 

Thanks for the feedback everyone, here's the mastered version: https://soundcloud.com/imken-2/spaceridemastered/s-XKfw7

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This is a short piece of music, a WIP. The bass is quite heavy so you might wanna lower your volume a little before you play this one. :walkman:

I'm aiming for a high energy type of feeling/vibe. I still have to figure out a melodic theme/lead for it but nothing's coming to mind atm.

Let me know your thoughts. Any and all critique is welcome.

Thanks,

Ken

https://soundcloud.com/imken-2/130bpm/s-3QhEJ

Edited by tunesmithth
Locked per member request
  • Like 3

zzeb    23

What an improvement on your productions since I heard you last year I think it was. Really good EDM production and interesting arrangement. 

No critics to offer, a little short isn't it ;)

Wait to hear your sing on this one.

/zzeb

• Like 1

Very high on energy, especially that build up... this looks very promising! 

• Like 1

HoboSage    1,932

I really dig each of the eelments, but not how they're currently ordered.  I think ya gotta bring the power a lot sooner.  I think the structure should be Intro-Chorus-Verse-Chorus-Verse-Chorus-Bridge-Chorus-Chorus-Chorus. . ..  Along these lines:

https://soundcloud.com/hobosage/4ken/s-FXdp6

• Like 1

ImKeN    262

@zzeb - Thanks for listening, man. I keep learning more stuff from youtube tutorials. I haven't started learning audio recording and vocal processing, yet. Production is such a broad subject. Later man.

@Sreyashi Mukherjee - Thanks for listening, Sumi. I'm glad you felt the energy! I'll be posting more of these short instrumentals every now and again. ✌️

@HoboSage - Very interesting to hear how you would have edited things, David. The high energy in the beginning does sound really good! I get why you would arrange it in such a way, the beginning feels a little bland(IMO) and I think I should add an extra layer to build up the intensity a little more before the bridge comes in.

I'm thinking of compiling an instrumental album to submit to a library and the average length of a track seems to be roughly, 2:00 to 2:30. I highly doubt that any library would want my music, but having that as a goal is excellent motivation for me. Plus, I am kind of making beats anyway so I thought I should put them to some use. Thanks for your feedback, man.

- Ken

Edited by ImKeN

Sounds good, man!

I do have some issues with the mix, though.

Most notably, the snare is too loud compared to the kick. And the kick should be much more present in the mix. At the moment it is overpowered by all the other elements, whereas it should be balanced the other way around.

Love the synth coming in at around 1:20. Kind of reminds me of deadmau5, for some reason.

I would also make the sidechaining more dramatic on the rhythm elements. I would also apply more obvious sidechaining to the lead synth that starts from around 1:44 -- make it pump more.

Lastly, it's very quiet, I didn't have to turn the volume down at all. I'm assuming you haven't mastered it yet?

All in all, a good track.

Edited by Will Sketches
  • Like 1

ImKeN    262

Thanks for the critique, Will. I spent a good amount of time mixing since the original post so things are looking quite balanced now. I'll start mastering it tonight so I'll make sure to crank things up.:walkman: I'll be a little more aggressive with the side chain on those big synths as well.

Thanks a lot for lending me your ears!

Ken

Jarek    2

Really cool little track.

I love the build up, particularly the part at around 1:43, where the synth reenters on beat 3. Quite groovy.

One of my only criticisms would be that there could be more melodic development, as well as variation within the chord progression. Basing your progression around the IV, V, vi chords works well, particularly in this setting as an EDM. However, more interest could be introduced by experimenting with different chords and chord changes. Overall though, the pros certainly outweigh the cons. There's a lot to like in this track. Awesome work.

• Like 1

ImKeN    262

20 hours ago, Jarek said:

One of my only criticisms would be that there could be more melodic development, as well as variation within the chord progression. Basing your progression around the IV, V, vi chords works well, particularly in this setting as an EDM. However, more interest could be introduced by experimenting with different chords and chord changes.

Thanks, @Jarek. I appreciate the honest feedback. I tried for several days to come up with some kind of melody but nothing good ever came up. I'm gonna move on to create another track in a few days, so I'll be mindful of your advice to experiment a little more 🎹👨‍🔬

Ken

Edited by ImKeN

Sounds great. I still think the kick could be more present. I want to feel it in my chest, like it's urging me to move along. Right now it still feels like I'm urging it to move me, rather than the other way around.

I don't have any experience with music libraries, but I could definitely hear this being used as a backing track to something like a sporting event. Something like a 1-2 minute review of a stage of the Tour de France. :) (*)

Great stuff, man!

(*) Competitive cycling is my thing, so that's a compliment!

• Like 1

brycebad    22

Your feedback is always so appreciated when you write on my posts so I'm excited to finally return the favor! The mastered version is 10x better, and I think you did a really awesome job of blending the sounds together... except the guitar seems a little too above the mix if you ever intend for the song to have vocals (imho, could just be a matter of preference). However, as a standalone song its really really incredible!!

• Like 1

ImKeN    262
23 hours ago, Will Sketches said:

Sounds great. I still think the kick could be more present. I want to feel it in my chest, like it's urging me to move along. Right now it still feels like I'm urging it to move me, rather than the other way around.

I don't have any experience with music libraries, but I could definitely hear this being used as a backing track to something like a sporting event. Something like a 1-2 minute review of a stage of the Tour de France. :) (*)

Great stuff, man!

(*) Competitive cycling is my thing, so that's a compliment!

Thanks for your ears again, Will! I really appreciate it. I'll make sure to adjust the kick a little b4 I move on to the next instrumental project.

You must be really fit! How many medals? lol🥇🥈🥉🏅🚴

I'm working on compiling a high energy instrumental album to submit, so I'm glad you can imagine this track on a sporting channel. Your songs and guitar skills are quite amazing, and I bet a few libraries would be excited to get TV placements for you, as well. Of course, TV/film songs&instrumentals have their own structure so before you create anything, the best thing to do is do some research and listen to tracks/songs in library catalogues(online): I always listen to instrumentals on premiumbeats

Thanks again, man.

Ken

PS - I'm glad you enjoyed that cover video I sent you, they did a marvelous job with that Prince' song.

6 hours ago, brycebad said:

Your feedback is always so appreciated when you write on my posts so I'm excited to finally return the favor! The mastered version is 10x better, and I think you did a really awesome job of blending the sounds together... except the guitar seems a little too above the mix if you ever intend for the song to have vocals (imho, could just be a matter of preference). However, as a standalone song its really really incredible!!

Hey Bryce, thanks for the listen and feedback! No, I don't plan on adding any vocals to the track, it will remain an instrumental piece. 

I'm still fairly new to mixing and mastering so these tracks are really just for practice, which means I'm not really focused on quality but quantity! lol

Lets keep producing more stuff!

Ken

ImKeN    262

Thanks for all the help, guys! I'm closing this thread, now. :hippy: