Your Ad Could Be Here

What are you listening to at the moment?

Hi all, just wondering what everyone is listening to at the moment - music wise, before someone says their other half or kids moaning at them!!! - I just thought it would be interesting to see the diverse mix of music and whether you feel inspired to do your own music when you are listening....

I started listening to the Ultravox back catalogue again yesterday. I have done this as I feel this is the best way for me to think about my own music, as this is my favourite group and they influenced my style from a young age. You remember how good the music is, but really, until you listen again with the ears of someone hoping to create and do something with their own music, you really don't realise how good the music actually was. The arrangements, the mix, the production, all of it. If I could emulate only a fraction of that, I would be happy.

Mod: This topic has been closed and has been replaced with this topic:

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

'My Name is Buddy' Ry Cooder album.

Its folksie, political and blunt, except of course for when its not.

Buddy is a working class ginger tomcat in a depression setting. His dearest pal is a mouse 'Lefty'. The cat & mouse thing seems a way of addressing a class & race devide.

Its on louder than usual due to air conditioner white noise. Its hot today. Too hot to work or spend too long outside.

On 7/9/2017 at 9:52 AM, Richard Tracey said:

I started listening to the Ultravox back catalogue again yesterday. I have done this as I feel this is the best way for me to think about my own music, as this is my favourite group and they influenced my style from a young age. You remember how good the music is, but really, until you listen again with the ears of someone hoping to create and do something with their own music, you really don't realise how good the music actually was. The arrangements, the mix, the production, all of it. If I could emulate only a fraction of that, I would be happy.

I'd never heard of them but my wife and I LOVE a good 80's pop/new wave act and I love the song I heard "Dancing With Tears in my Eyes" I'm gonna have to check them out!  For me lately it's been weird brazillian music and Mamas and the Papas.  Two brazillian artists I'm really getting into are Milton Nascimento and Tom Ze.  Ze makes some of the most out there stuff I've ever heard from any artist anywhere, here's one I think is really cool but... just know... it's weird lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxGbhYcoSEs

Milton Nascimento is alot more tame and chill, here's one I LOVE from him https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nC9c2hle8Eg

As far as Mamas and Papas go I think they are hurt by the time they were recorded in.  Their recordings are quite thin (it was the 60's what do you expect) but when I close my eyes and try to imagine "I'm hearing this live"I can tell, this would rock HARD with some modern production man.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhHMwE250zg

• Like 1

Marcus King Band - Marcus King Band

Joe Strummer - Earthquake Weather

Sonoran Sunsets - Bry Melvin

Revolution Come....Revolution Go - Guv Mule

@Jenn my wife got me into interpol! They're great!

33 minutes ago, symphonious7 said:

@Jenn my wife got me into interpol! They're great!

I'll look 'em up next time I'm in Lyon.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Rudi said:

I'll look 'em up next time I'm in Lyon.

Yeah they're one of the best bands I've heard that have that "shoegaze" sound.  Hauntingly dramatic vocals, lots of atmospheric guitar work, they're great to space out to, had to grow on me at first cause I usually like music with more energy than that, but after I "got it" I really like em now.  

3 minutes ago, Jenn said:

I've only listened to Antics and I didn't get too much of a shoegaze sound from them... More alternative rocky kind of sound. But this is after I had finished listening to Cigarettes After Sex and Slowdive.. 

Well I don't really know what the EXACT definition of shoegaze is haha I just always associate it with long droney rock songs that feel spacey and atmospheric and build slowly instead of like... barreling forward head first.  And I don't even know what I've listened to of them, my wife just puts it on and I've gotten to know some of the songs, that singer though... he sings the way I'd imagine a vampire would sing hahaha it's cool.  

If you like Interpol - try listening to The Editors, White Lies and early (although their new stuff is good as well) Kasabian.

Then if you want, go listen to some early 80's bands who you will find Interpol and their friends have all got their sound from. There are some good bands out there that you probably haven't heard of - try B Movie asa band who should have had more success, but didn't. Remembrance Day and Nowhere Girl are just two of their songs which are excellent. There are different versions of both, but the later versions are the best once they had started to refine their sound.

and here is another great song from the 80's that popped up as I was searching for B-Movie.

hope you enjoy.

• 1 month later...

The CORRS " Haste To The Wedding".

The Gloaming

Edited by starise
  • Like 1

Hummel's Bassoon Concerto.

Its light and easy listening at any time of day.

• Like 2

• Editors

At this very moment, I'm on BandCamp listening to Bob Reynolds who's a saxophonist having played for John Mayer, Snarky Puppy and the likes. Some very sweet Soul Jazz/Instrumental music to keep the day going strong. I've started using BandCamp more often simply to indulge myself in new and interesting music without seeking too many preferences. Trying to keep the mind open.

Besides that I recently caught this video that's been making me hum the tune these past couple days.

Now I'm looking to explore more of Fkj :)

2 hours ago, Richard Tracey said:

I just heard this new track from Sparks this morning and it is glorious. You really need to like their style to appreciate how brilliant this is:

I like Sparks a lot. Good to see them still at it.... it sounds pretty fresh for the old guys, not quite as crazy as the old stuff but an enjoyable song. Good vid.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, MonoStone said:

I like Sparks a lot. Good to see them still at it.... it sounds pretty fresh for the old guys, not quite as crazy as the old stuff but an enjoyable song. Good vid.

'You should listen to Hippopotamus and Missionary Position off their new album then for crazy.