• Announcements

• Songstuff

New Chat App   06/02/2017

We have a new chat app available. You will need to sign up for it. You can pick up the invite link at the top of your member hub page:   http://forums.songstuff.com/member/hub/   Remember to use your Songstuff registered email and user name when you sign up! Using the invite link will automatically add you to the Songstuff chat channel.
Will Sketches

Electronic tune with '80s bits

Hi all. I've been working on a new song. I've tried to take some '80s style stuff and put into a modern electronic production. It's missing a verse and the structure of the song isn't final yet. I also want to redo the lyrics for the first verse.

I would like feedback on the production, mainly. Also, this tune, to me, has a certain late night, dark city vibe to it, but with some uplifting elements. At least, that's what I've tried to create with the production. Let me know if this works.

Thanks!

https://soundcloud.com/will-sketches/should-have-been-my-baby/s-u9Qgm

Edited by Will Sketches
  • Like 1

Geraint    5

Did you remove this? The SoundCloud link isn't working for me.  Edit: works now, thanks

Edited by Geraint

I just checked it again, and it seems fine. It's a private link, maybe that's why it doesn't work?

Maybe this works: https://soundcloud.com/will-sketches/set-me-free-early-draft/s-u9Qgm

Richard Tracey    250

Will - I will comment on the production as that is what you have asked for. This sounds really nice and crisp and the mix sounds lovely. The bass could maybe come down slightly, not too much, as it overpowers the track and vocals. There seems a nice amount of space in the mix and some of the sounds you used were great. It definitely has an 80's vibe to it - different vibe from my 80's tracks ;) - and would have sounded good on the dancefloor.

I know you are still working on the lyrics and I assume the vocals are temp, so won't comment on them either.

Very nice start to the track.

I would love to know what synths packs you are using?

• Like 1

zzeb    23

Really good production, arrangement, and mix in my ears. Nice synth sounds you use. I would have danced if I heard this tune on the dancefloor:)

I also like your singing.

• Like 1

Beant Singh    9

This is so good! I personally would prefer if the kick had more of punch and was made more prominent. The vocals are great and the arrangement is so dope. 

Great work!

• Like 1

HoboSage    1,904

Could be a really good tune.  Agree the bass is too loud.  I also think it's boring because it's constant and never changes.  I really think you need another different musical section in this, Will - and one that repeats.  I'll suggest you listen to Madonna's Lucky Star as a general template in structuring this.  

• Like 1

ImKeN    251

Love the modern production on this, @Will Sketches. You're really good at creating catchy tunes that listeners wanna move along to - and to think this is only an early draft! Music-wise, I could listen to this track any time of the day.

Ken

Off Topic - I found this youtube cover recently and thought I should share it with you:  ▶️

Edited by ImKeN
  • Like 1

Thanks you guys for your feedback -- very much appreciated!

@Richard Tracey, thanks, always useful feedback. You're right about the bass, I've turned it down a dB. I use Logic's built-in synths. This tune mainly uses RetroSynth, and there's one or two Alchemy tracks in there too. Most of them are existing patches with a few knobs tweaked, and there's some layering and sidechain compression going on.

@zzeb, thanks man, if it makes you want to dance (and singalong) then I've reached my goal. :) 

@Beant Singh thanks man. Appreciated!

@HoboSage, thanks man. Oh jeez I'd forgotten how groovy Lucky Star is. Love it. I've thought of a 'bridge' section to add to the middle of the song for some respite. 

@ImKeN, thanks, I'm happy you like it so far. :) That Prince cover is excellent, love the keytar solo. It's such a great tune, simple but so groovy, Prince was a master at that. 

Edited by Will Sketches

CapM    66

Sounds really authentic! I loved the '80's.

The only thing that stuck in my craw was already discussed - the repeating baseline.  Most songs, even those with popular baselines (like Beat It) have different baselines in the verses versus the choruses.  Even if you added a bridge, it still would leave no separation between the verse and chorus.  So that would be my recommendation, to break up the baseline.

Groovy tunage!  :thumb23:

• Like 2

Thanks all for your comments. It's always super helpful.

The track's pretty much finished now. If you're interested in hearing it, then it's here: https://soundcloud.com/will-sketches/should-have-been-my-baby/s-u9Qgm

Cheers, and have a great weekend!

Dallon426    25

I think it's catchy, but the drums are missing something for me.  Not punchy enough.  Also the synths are not punchy either.  To me they sound a bit thin.  Cool lil tune though

• Like 1

snabbu    435

Hey Will

That is a really cool sound. It's very detailed. And everything is doing something to support the song.

I am comparing it to Michael Jacksons tuff as a reference  and its doing the business.

Good stuff

Cheers

Gary

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback @Dallon426. I need to take a break from this song and revisit it when my ears are a bit more fresh!

Thank you for your feedback @snabbu. Didn't think of MJ when I made this, but I'll take the comparison as a compliment any day!

This sounds more early 90's than 80's to me (but in a good way). There are so many songs that I'm reminded of but I can't specifically recall any one of them at this point.. LOL

Good one.. I was taken back to the party music of my school days :)

• Like 1

Thank you @Sreyashi Mukherjee. I chose the synth sounds to be mostly '80s, but then tried to produce it like a modern track. There's some production stuff in there that I borrowed from French House which is what could make it sound '90s. It's a tricky balance to get right. Ultimately where I want to end up is continuing to create songs on my guitar, the way I've always done it, and then produce in a way to make it sound current. Current in the way that Gramatik, FKJ, Calvin Harris, or even Daft Punk (geniuses that they are) sound. It's not easy!

MonoStone    820

I can't get to the song....link says 'track not found, maybe removed'...

Should be fixed now. 

MonoStone    820

It sounds great.

Yeah the sounds sound 80s but the production (and also maybe the song) doesn't ...on the whole...

I know nothing about how to sound current in production, but my gut feeling is that the vocal production sounds less current than the music. I'm not sure why but to me that's the thing it needs so that I don't feel unsure as to whether it's current or not. One thing I noticed was that the double tracked vocal (the higher track) softened things... I think if all vocal tracks are more exact in phrasing it might help, otherwise it feels slightly loose, and I just don't seem to hear that in current productions. I feel like the vocal needs to cut more, right into my brain... too soft right now (the sound, not the way you sing it).

I also felt like the lead guitar dated it. And maybe that is down to tone and production more than what you're playing (great playing by the way!)

Then again, I have no idea what I'm talking about :)  

• Like 1

Thanks, that's really useful feedback! The vocal and lead guitar production are two things that I felt date the song, so it's good to have that confirmed. I'm gonna leave this track for a while, and come back to it with fresh ears because I must have listened to (i.e. scrutinised) it more than 100 times over the past week or so. :) 

Thanks a lot!

crystalsuzy    83

Sounds really good to me Will. Very 80's...I would definitely dance to this.[smiley=hearts.gif]I think there have been some good suggestions already, that I agree with...like the never changing

bass line, which didn't bother me too much, but it would be interesting to hear something a little different in the choruses. I agree with Dek about he vocals, although I really like them as is, but if you want a more modern sound, they need to be sung differently. But I totally enjoyed listening to this track, and will listen again :hippy:

• Like 1