Your Ad Could Be Here

Do any of you think you are arrogant?  Do any of you KNOW you are arrogant hahaha?  I have struggled with it all my life and I find it to be such a strange thing to deal with.  I think it's hard to understand the arrogant, because it's not like... a conscious decision to think you're better than everyone, it's like I know how exciting what's going on in my head is and I'm aware that I tend to see deep angles most don't.  I don't think "Ok Chris just go into this remembering you're the smartest person in the room" but it's like it's a subconscious assumption I am not intending to make.  The result is me kind of... not letting anyone else steer the conversation anywhere I keep unwittingly trying to dominate.  

Another thing is my quickness to admit my good looks.  Not FLAUNT mind you, I'll just admit quite readily I know I'm a good looking guy, and I don't think this is arrogant for the reason you might think haha  I don't do it to draw attention but more because I just don't see it as something I can take credit for so I'm like "yeah God gave me some great features haha Not sure why he wanted me to have that but I'll take it right?"  But see, not everyone can grasp that you're coming from a place like that, and I won't explain cause I just talk instead of thinking about how THEY will percieve me right?  And there-in lies the pesky arrogance, just kind of riding my own train outloud while I force everyone else on it.  

Lately however I've started FINALLY learning to listen, and just admit my arrogance or stop it, when I see I'm overloading someone or taking over I try to stop and say "Oh wait, I don't think this is the direction you were trying to go in, could you explain what you were saying before please?"  Cause I also won't be listening as I sort of... globalize everything I hear in my mind, connecting dots, seeing a big picture.  It's hard for me to "Come back down to earth" so to speak, though it's not narcissism since I put all this energy into studying Jesus and his love for me and all mankind and so like... the good source makes me good but without that?  If I was more like... a person who didn't have a good sense of self?  I might totally be a textbook narcissist.  

Does anyone relate?  (I don't expect you to admit it if you're not comfortable haha my arrogance just let's me talk about my flaws all day long with no fear Muhahahaha)

(Oh let me know if you were uncomfortable with the Jesus reference, I'm guessing you're ok with people referencing religion to the degree they kind of have to to be honest and themselves, I'm guessing you just don't want anyone trying to STEER everyone into a religious debate yes?  Let me know if I get the idea now)  

• Like 2

Confidence is fine.

Arrogance is an important step beyond confidence. Its what my mother used to describe as 'being full of your own self importance'.

Self confidence provides you with an optimistic outlook within your peer group and society in general.

Arrogance assumes superiority. You can find ways to justify it, but others probably will never truly view you as superior to them.

Self confidence asserts your entitlement to your opinion.

Arrogance assumes that everyone is entitled to your opinion.

• Like 3

hehe yikes, that last part kinda hit me and it stung "arrogance assumes that everyone is entitled to your opinion" EXACTLY.  I don't LISTEN.  I just railroad over everything, however I've hid from people for like years and run from human interaction because of it, actually, I did it to THIS forum a few years back lmao  I'm so AWARE of my arrogance, but not sure how to stop, HOWEVER my wife has been a GOD SEND.  She has a disorder called aspergers that makes her very unique, she has a different kind of antenna than the rest of us do for picking up social cues.  When I'm being arrogant, she just doesn't connect with me, she stares off into space and can't tell what I'm getting at, even gets brain fog and fatigued, needing to be alone.  But when I look at her.  Just LOOK at her, and really listen, just thinking about who SHE is, her eyes light up, she looks at me with love and excitement and starts to relax, and I begin to finally understand everything that's so wonderful about HER and my own self importance diminishes.  

I'm just now starting to try to be fearless enough to try doing this with people, I'm always scared of putting my foot in my mouth, but honestly when you just say less and focus more on the other person, it really does start to kind of flow I think I just have to try and not beat myself up too much when I kinda go off the rails you know?  In time it will diminish more and more I think.  

Edited by symphonious7
  • Like 1

As for Jesus. When I was a Christian I never thought of Jesus as god.

Presumably all those ugly people were deliberately made that way if you attribute such things to a deity. I suppose there has to be ugly people to give your good looks validity. Looks are always comparitive.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, symphonious7 said:

When I'm being arrogant, she just doesn't connect with me, she stares off into space and can't tell what I'm getting at, even gets brain fog and fatigued, needing to be alone.  But when I look at her.  Just LOOK at her, and really listen, just thinking about who SHE is, her eyes light up, she looks at me with love and excitement and starts to relax, and I begin to finally understand everything that's so wonderful about HER and my own self importance diminishes.  

That is very nice. People love attention. Kids cant hide it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rudi said:

As for Jesus. When I was a Christian I never thought of Jesus as god.

Presumably all those ugly people were deliberately made that way if you attribute such things to a deity. I suppose there has to be ugly people to give your good looks validity. Looks are always comparitive.

hahahahaha  I think I'm more just... content with my face but in the past I've made innapropriate jokes about it that I should have realized would come off full of myself.  And yes I totally agree, plus the most beautiful faces turn ugly in contempt, and the most homely of faces turn beautiful in love.  At least that's what I think. :)

8 minutes ago, HoboSage said:

I don't know why you started this thread - kind of arrogant that you did. ;)  But, I'm glad you did, because I learned something about you I don't think I knew before, and if I did know, I had forgotten it.  Your name is Chris. :)

I don't know to what degree that was joking and what little sprinkles of truth may be in it, but all of a sudden I can SEE how this might have been kinda arrogant haha because I try to say relevant things, but make it all about myself in over eagerness.  All those years talking to the wall just didn't pay off man....  Oh and yes, my name is Chris :)  

Edited by symphonious7

Well regardless I do think I'll learn in time to calmly listen to people instead of always blurting out all my thoughts, and I'm not ashamed that it's a process.  You can't learn any other way right?  No one needs to worry about hurting my feelings, I'm just trying this whole... "be yourself and don't care thing" that old McGruff taught me back in grade school.  No wait... he taught me not to smoke crack.  Same thing.  

16 hours ago, symphonious7 said:

No one needs to worry about hurting my feelings, I'm just trying this whole... 

Always better to be whole than an a-hole. :)

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Just1L said:

Always better to be whole than an a-hole. :)

But nothing's better than being A-TEAM!!!  

giphy.gif

• Like 1

I believe this is more common than I thought. The attitude of condescension. I've seen it in lots of places and yes, at times I've been guilty of it and needed to look honestly at myself. I am convinced that if we could see the totality of every human being in one glance including ourselves it would do two things. We would have no reason to think highly of ourselves as compared to anyone else.We would see the wonderful things about  people. All people, not just a group or groups of people.

Any really honest evaluation of the universal human condition takes into account the good and the bad in everyone. At the end of the day, in order to be arrogant and narcissistic we have to ignoring all the facts.

One thing that grounds me is to remind myself constantly that no matter where I am or who I am with I must be reminded that I am a part of them. The minute we don't see that we're headed down the path of the Nazis. There is a very small difference in DNA between anyone on the planet and you. So small in fact, that it's hard to measure. 

If you're at a party in Hollywood and everyone is wearing a tux but you. You happen to be wearing a dirty t-shirt with holes in it. How would that make you feel? How would they look at you? What if you were the one in a tux looking at someone in a dirty t-shirt with holes at a high class party? In a sense you will at one time or another be both of those people. Not in that exact sense. I just used this as an illustration to make a point.In order to really connect with ourselves and with others we need to see past that.

See that old man who has trouble walking? This is eventually you. Another thing to remember is that everything you have,have done or will do, you were given the ability or the resources to do it. If you made money, you couldn't have done it without the given ability. No one does something from nothing as independent . In that sense, we are more like stewards of what we are and what we have. Jesus was a probably the best example of this. He gravitated to people who were viewed as lowly. He got it. They really weren't lowly in the things that matter.

Edited by starise
  • Like 5

That was beautifully said!  And it's so funny because I'm not worried at ALL about it now.  I think it was just the result of isolation.  I was so isolated for years that when I came out I noticed I had trouble actually saying anything relevant to what others were saying but I still said alot.  I thought "oh no!  My arrogance is back!"  But now that I've pushed through and kept talking to people, I just started realizing I'm out of practice! haha I really just... am!  That's it!  Not some arrogance problem, just... I've been thinking too long.  I'm fine now, just had to get that listening part of my mind going again, I think he forgot he existed and I don't blame him.  

4 minutes ago, symphonious7 said:

I'm fine now, just had to get that listening part of my mind going again, I think he forgot he existed and I don't blame him.  

Maybe he was too busy looking at your beautiful face! LOL Just kidding of course, couldn't help myself. :)

Edited by Just1L
  • Like 1

*high five* lol

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm a real Joker. 

• Like 1

Dude on my old forum I got everyone doing this thing we called "derailing" which I know you THINK you know what that is, but we would do it on purpose, just to suddenly make a topic turn into a long drawn out retarded joke fest of pure madness.  The caps locks flew, the point was never found, but dear goodness did we laugh, and oh man was it fun.....  I'm starting to think it could come back too....

• Like 1

not on this forum of course!! hahaha we discuss music here by golly!!  I just mean I'm in a good place and that infectious.... I dunno... desire to laugh with people is returning... dun du DAAAHHH

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, symphonious7 said:

That was beautifully said!  And it's so funny because I'm not worried at ALL about it now.  I think it was just the result of isolation.  I was so isolated for years that when I came out I noticed I had trouble actually saying anything relevant to what others were saying but I still said alot.  I thought "oh no!  My arrogance is back!"  But now that I've pushed through and kept talking to people, I just started realizing I'm out of practice! haha I really just... am!  That's it!  Not some arrogance problem, just... I've been thinking too long.  I'm fine now, just had to get that listening part of my mind going again, I think he forgot he existed and I don't blame him.  

It might not have been arrogance. I almost seems to me that you might share a trait familiar to many. I notice this at times too. This is what I mean. You;re standing in a group of your peers and they all look at one another knowingly and nod. Then I say something that makes total sense to me and they just look and change the subject. This  doesn't mean we are better or worse. Some people just have a different way of coming across that doesn't mesh. I have found this to be true with me.

If I think I see an angle I'm excited to share on a subject, I usually don't share it any more for concern I'll be misunderstood. I've decided that many times it's just ok for me if I seen it and reflected on it. And you'll find in social conversation, no one is ever as interested in it as you are. People now have about a 5 second attention span, so it isn't always us. No matter what you talk about, most folks start to glaze over after a few minutes. Might as well save your breath.

If I'm in a group of guys talking about NASCAR or deer hunting, I tend to glaze over and fight the urge to yawn. No that's not the response of a typical guy, but then I'm not a typical guy and I've come to realize that and try to roll with it.

Now if you want talk about what might be happening in Antarctica or theories on the present alignment of the planets, or guitars and keyboards, I might be on board then.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, symphonious7 said:

Dude on my old forum I got everyone doing this thing we called "derailing" which I know you THINK you know what that is, but we would do it on purpose, just to suddenly make a topic turn into a long drawn out retarded joke fest of pure madness.  The caps locks flew, the point was never found, but dear goodness did we laugh, and oh man was it fun.....  I'm starting to think it could come back too....

It's a naturally occurring event here. I know it is because It's what I believe, so don't even try to say it isn't. <--- back on topic

• Like 1

1 minute ago, starise said:

It might not have been arrogance. I almost seems to me that you might share a trait familiar to many. I notice this at times too. This is what I mean. You;re standing in a group of your peers and they all look at one another knowingly and nod. Then I say something that makes total sense to me and they just look and change the subject. This  doesn't mean we are better or worse. Some people just have a different way of coming across that doesn't mesh. I have found this to be true with me.

If I think I see an angle I'm excited to share on a subject, I usually don't share it any more for concern I'll be misunderstood. I've decided that many times it's just ok for me if I seen it and reflected on it. And you'll find in social conversation, no one is ever as interested in it as you are. People now have about a 5 second attention span, so it isn't always us. No matter what you talk about, most folks start to glaze over after a few minutes. Might as well save your breath.

If I'm in a group of guys talking about NASCAR or deer hunting, I tend to glaze over and fight the urge to yawn. No that's not the response of a typical guy, but then I'm not a typical guy and I've come to realize that and try to roll with it.

Now if you want talk about what might be happening in Antarctica or theories on the present alignment of the planets, or guitars and keyboards, I might be on board then.

Oh man, can I like a post twice??  That's exactly the thing I'm talking except because I'm hyper and reeeeeally interested in what I'm thinking about, I kept noticing how I was always dominating conversation, steering it into what I thought was exciting and the people would look.... overwhelmed and a little... "Dude I just wanted to chat..."  But yeah I get it now, not everything is worth saying right then, and I think I'm finding that balance of giving in put without being like "I'LL TAKE IT FROM HERE GUYS" and zooming passed them 100 mph lol

• Like 1