• Announcements

• Songstuff

New Chat App   06/02/2017

We have a new chat app available. You will need to sign up for it. You can pick up the invite link at the top of your member hub page:   http://forums.songstuff.com/member/hub/   Remember to use your Songstuff registered email and user name when you sign up! Using the invite link will automatically add you to the Songstuff chat channel.
brycebad

Notorious - What do you think?

brycebad    21

Hello again,

Out with another song, different than the others as usual :) Still unsure about how I feel about this song... sometimes I listen to it and vibe and other times its just "meh" haha. Would love to hear your thoughts on what worked and what didn't! Lyrics are below as well

Lyrics:

Its a small town feeling, something that those city kids sure been missing.

You hear the talk, you seen her walk, she gets the whole place looking.

There’s bout a billion other fish in the sea, but something tells me she’s the one for me.

But every guy who lays eyes on her, says the same damn thing.

She's so notorious, by the way she flip her hair. 

Notorious, for making everybody stare.

Notorious, she’s just the girl next door, but she’ll make you think you’re living in a barbie world.

Yeah, you the town’s most wanted, Oh go ahead and flaunt it.

Yeah, every guy already know it, you’re notorious, just show it.

She’s a force of nature, play it cool she gon’ stun ya like a laser.

A Class A distraction, trust me when I say she’s only looking for reaction.

Oh yeah, don’t waste your goods moves, save it for someone who will notice you.

If somebody hasn’t told you, imma fill you in.

She's so notorious, by the way she flip her hair. 

Notorious, for making everybody stare.

Notorious, she’s just the girl next door, but she’ll make you think you’re living in a barbie world.

Yeah, you’re the town’s most wanted, Oh go ahead and flaunt it.

Yeah, every guy already know it, you’re notorious, go ahead and show it.

N-O-T-O-R-I-O-U-S, you’re notorious so notorious

Aim steady, close in on who’s next, you’re notorious so notorious

I want, to be free, cut the shackles take your chains off me (come on).

Lets face, reality, its better anyway.

She's so notorious (oh yeah), for the way she flip her hair. 

Notorious (oh yeah), for making everybody stare.

Notorious, she’s just the girl next door, but she’ll make you think you’re living in a barbie’s world.

Yeah, you the town’s most wanted, Oh go ahead and flaunt it (flaunt it for me).

Yeah, every guy already know it, she notorious, go ahead and show it.

• Like 2

I like this. It's got a summer vibe to it, and just a general feel-good feel. 

I would actually make the rhythm section groove a bit more. The verse (and chorus) feels like you could squeeze more out of it. The bass sounds a bit hesitant, and the drums kind of sound too laid-back. This song, to me, wants to get up and start 'walking' pretty soon, but the rhythm section is holding it back at the moment -- the whole thing never takes off. That probably contributes to it sounding a bit 'meh' at times, though it's by far not a bad song.  But you could get a lot more out of this.

Apart from that, the vocals sound good and the hook is catchy. 

Edited by Will Sketches

Dallon426    25

I love your stuff because it's so catchy.  You have a super pop vibe and I mean that in a good way.  My music is so opposite, and I used to dislike music like this, and I rarely listen to it.  However, I think you are doing some great stuff here.  Some of the phrasing could use some work.  It's radio friendly and in the right hands and with the right producers, this song could sell major copies, I am sure.  It's got that style, Bruno Mars ish.  Keep it up, and shop your songs around. 

ImKeN    251

Another strong song by you, Bryce. IMPORTANT NOTE: this song is NOT a "meh" song!😱 The songwriting and arrangement is near perfect, it just needs a little more fine EQ-ing(an article online) and you're probably gonna need one more bass to boost the bass(youtube) frequencies(60-250Hz), as I'm not hearing any bass on my laptop speakers - especially the chorus.

All the best with it,

Ken

Edited by ImKeN

snabbu    435

The pop technique is wonderfull.

I think I counted all five types of hooks.

Nicely performed and produced as well.

Cheers

Gary

brycebad    21

@Dallon426 Thanks so much man, that means a lot! I'll definitely keep it up :D

@ImKeN Haha, thank you! Yes, I made it with my headphones that have good bass and realized the lack of bass on the macbook speakers after the fact but I'll try and fix that!

@snabbu Thanks for the kind words :)

Nothing meh about this, Bryce. Well-crafted, enjoyable pop music.

The only thing I have some minor issue with, and I'll admit it's pretty nitpicky, is the way word notorious fits into the first verse.

It doesn't make sense to me to say that every guy who lays eyes on her, says she's well known for flipping her hair.

Yacob    42

I think it's very well made. It sounds like you know what you're doing, Bryce.

However, maybe it's just me but I feel the vocals are missing some power. I wanted more energy and more emotion from them (and maybe a little more reverb).

P.S. I can't sing at all.

Edited by Yacob

brycebad    21
On 7/18/2017 at 8:16 AM, GraffitiByNumbers said:

Nothing meh about this, Bryce. Well-crafted, enjoyable pop music.

The only thing I have some minor issue with, and I'll admit it's pretty nitpicky, is the way word notorious fits into the first verse.

It doesn't make sense to me to say that every guy who lays eyes on her, says she's well known for flipping her hair.

Hey @GraffitiByNumbers! Thanks for the input :D I actually think it might just be confusing by the way I wrote it... so the "every guy who lays eyes on her says the same damn thing" is referring to the "she's the only fish in the sea for me" part that comes before it but yes, I very much see where you're coming from haha! 

3 hours ago, brycebad said:

Hey @GraffitiByNumbers! Thanks for the input :D I actually think it might just be confusing by the way I wrote it... so the "every guy who lays eyes on her says the same damn thing" is referring to the "she's the only fish in the sea for me" part that comes before it but yes, I very much see where you're coming from haha! 

Ok, that makes total sense :D

Edited by GraffitiByNumbers