Sign in to follow this  
Rudi

new pick idea

Rudi    572

I finished making this pick today. Its made out of one of my preferred pick materials, perspex.

As I usually use tri-shapes, I thought I'd try a quad-shape. The meet angle of most tri-shapes is close to 90 degrees anyway.

The main difference (apart from an extra contact point) is straight line profiles rather than curves. It makes a difference in use, though not a major one.

Resized to 80% (was 1200 x 1600) - Click image to enlargePosted Image

Resized to 60% (was 1600 x 1200) - Click image to enlargePosted Image

Some of you know that I have spent a small fortune on picks over the last few years (could have paid for another guitar). One of the main things I've learned is that it takes a long time to evaluate a pick properly.

I can tell if a guitar is any use within 30 seconds. A pick takes about 20 hours. So I'll be using this exclusively for at least a week.

• Like 2

Rudi    572

I posted this on the Gibson Forum also and took more picks in response to a request. They are here.

opy8fp.jpg

j08z7p.jpg

2vmh408.jpg

Edited by Rudi

Just1L    904

Cool Rudi. It'd be great if you really liked it. Is the material cheap to get? That last picture makes it look really thick.

Rudi    572

Its an experimental pick. The perspex sheet I got is 300 x 300mm so enough for 30+ more picks. buying small quantities is hard. It wasnt too expensive. About £12 or so?

Its supposed to be 5mm thick but I measured it as 4.77 with a micrometer. I prefer thick picks for sound and handling these days.

Some of my favourite picks are perspex. V-Picks and also Gravity are perspex & fairly expensive to buy. I will probably revert to making tri-point picks in a week or 2.

Edited by Rudi

Just1L    904

I may need to start looking at thicker picks. Normally I don't use one but sometimes, like with solos and such, I have to. What I've noticed these last few years is that more and more the pick starts rotating in my hand as I'm playing. I even end up using the middle spot between the points some times. Not sure if it's because my hands are getting older (I'm not though) or if it's because I'm playing more and more without one and when I do, my hands and fingers are generally really "loose" and I don't need to apply any pressure playing that way.

I haven't bought an actual pick in quite a few years (aside from the couple Sun Studios collectible ones.) $12 for 30 or more picks sounds like a pretty good deal if they last long. And they look pretty cool too.

Rudi    572
2 hours ago, Just1L said:

I may need to start looking at thicker picks. Normally I don't use one but sometimes, like with solos and such, I have to. What I've noticed these last few years is that more and more the pick starts rotating in my hand as I'm playing. I even end up using the middle spot between the points some times. Not sure if it's because my hands are getting older (I'm not though) or if it's because I'm playing more and more without one and when I do, my hands and fingers are generally really "loose" and I don't need to apply any pressure playing that way.

I haven't bought an actual pick in quite a few years (aside from the couple Sun Studios collectible ones.) $12 for 30 or more picks sounds like a pretty good deal if they last long. And they look pretty cool too.

Yes but dont forget you still have to make them.

That asquare one took nearly 3 hours

Just1L    904
2 minutes ago, Rudi said:

Yes but dont forget you still have to make them.

That asquare one took nearly 3 hours

3 HOURS!!! Maybe I can just buy them from you! LOL I will add I made a pick out of a credit card back in college (92ish) that I really loved. I only finally lost it a couple years ago. The coolest thing about it was the top side had some of the numbers on it which served as a kind of quasi-grip to keep the pick from rotating. Geesh, now thinking of it, I do seem to recall I've always had pick holding problems.

Rudi    572

There are 8 bevels (2 for each edge). There's more radial blending where they intersect. When the geometry is right, its buffed to a fine satin finish. Just enough so that when it draws over the string there is a hint of white noise.

A polished finish usually produces 'chirps'.

• Like 1

Rudi    572
17 hours ago, Just1L said:

What I've noticed these last few years is that more and more the pick starts rotating in my hand as I'm playing. I even end up using the middle spot between the points some times. Not sure if it's because my hands are getting older (I'm not though) or if it's because I'm playing more and more without one and when I do, my hands and fingers are generally really "loose" and I don't need to apply any pressure playing that way.

That is odd. I agree you shouldn't need a tight grip, especially for solos. I've started to wonder about it.

1/ Can you feel the pick ok? Are your fingers numb?

2/ Grip. The fellow at Gibson asked for pics of the pick 'in grip'.

Pictures 1 & 3 (2nd post) show my grip. In fairness, the posed pic 1 is not typical because I dont usually have that much plectrum sticking out from between my fingers. The less protrusion of the pick, the more control (and feel) you have. I aim for about 3/8" (10mm), which is just the point showing.

Do you grip with fingertips or flat of index finger?