Steve Mueske

SoundCloud account deleted

Steve Mueske    170

I have deleted my SoundCloud account. Don't know what I'm going to do for music social media, but it's time to shake things up a bit. I'm going to release a 30 song retrospective somewhere and I want to dedicate some time to remixing and mastering the last 16 songs. I'm not going anywhere, just wanted to let you know in case you drop in from time to time.

john    1,416

What prompted removing your songs and accounts Steve? I can understand several reasons for doing so. I just wondered what your thinking was. :)

Steve Mueske    170

SoundCloud has served a number of purposes. It was a place to post stuff I was working on, to say, hey, I'm alive, I'm doing something. It was also a place I could post songs that I could call done in order to move on. But, I've always been disturbed by the lo-res streaming format; very few people actually take the time to download my tracks, which have always been free. What this means, essentially, is that my music is being listened to in a manner that does not represent the quality I wish. A year or two ago they removed groups, which was one of my favorite things about SoundCloud. Now that they are near the end, industry-wise, I did some hard thinking about why I was there. I sense a major shift coming in the way I think about and produce music and I want to honor that by creating a little space. It might be that I create a website and install an MP3 player so I can stream at 320. It might be a music social media site with a different approach. I don't know, I'm still looking. I know I kind of want to gather everything I've done in the past 15 years together. I need some kind of marker or milestone, and that will be a retrospective release of some sort. Don't know if I'll put it out myself or shop for a netlabel or somesuch. Hope that answers your question.

Edited by Steve Mueske
  • Like 1

MonoStone    824
On 7/15/2017 at 5:32 PM, Steve Mueske said:

It might be that I create a website and install an MP3 player so I can stream at 320

I think that's probably the best idea. Especially if you want people to understand, or you want to present, you...as a complete artist.

None of the music hosting sites allow you to do that...plus as you say you can call the shots on sound quality. 

I like Soundcloud only because there's a good community and it's a good place to get heard. It's a shame there aren't other places that match in that respect. There is a feeling that Soundcloud's had its day, and they've ruined so much, I agree about the groups, but... weirdly there's no site (unless you make videos) which comes close in that respect. I guess nobody wants to really try. I've tried alternatives and then forgot about them because they're ghost towns....so yeah, without that community you may as well make a website. Even if you've found somewhere that hosts at the quality you want, it's still a good idea to do a website. I've started then lost interest, I end up thinking 'who cares anyway'.... but in all honesty I'd love to see a website full of info and songs and image for many people here...you included. So I hope you do...and then I hope others here do.... and then I might ;)  

• Like 1