MonoStone

I'll be with you - Mix ok?

MonoStone    904

Hello, this isn't a new song, I recorded it a few months ago...but I never 'released' it for three reasons - 1. I wasn't sure I liked my different voice in it, 2. I wasn't sure about the chorus, and 3. The mix was too ...something...

Anyway I've decided I'm fine with my voice, it suits the song....and I think the chorus is good because it's repeatedly come back to me since I shelved this.... and so I've remixed it all, changed some arrangement just a bit, and so on.... 

Please let me know if it sounds good? Or if not, any feedback please.... 

I won't post the words as I have no intention of changing them, they're too stuck in my head now.

https://soundcloud.com/monostone-1/ill-be-with-you05/s-xLHsD

Words (since Suzy asked me to post them) -

It’s raining where we’re walking

Dark november morning

Warmer if we talk a fire

These echoes are not soothing

Better if we're moving

Walk until the golden rise

We’ve been among the flowers

Fallen from our towers

Faded into shadow on the stone

Now it’s looking clear we must be all alone out here

We’ll find our way together you know

Someday the tears will dry

Fallen on the ashes of our gloom

Somewhere it’s open wide

Something in the air it’s coming soon

Come on I want you to

Come on I’ll be with you

You know that nothing comes of sorrow

Open up tomorrow to your tune

Terrible the silence from the far forgotten town

Coloured at the edges by the sun

Cover up it’s cold and there’s a hailstorm coming down

Find our way together if we run

Somebody said  

Happiness is dead 

Shiver all your way into the tomb

Time is a healer

Time is a killer

keep on walking to the blue

Someday the tears will dry

Fallen on the ashes of our gloom/tomb

Somewhere it’s open wide

Something in the air it’s coming soon

Come on I want you to

Come on I’ll be with you

You know that nothing comes of sorrow

Open up tomorrow to your tune

Edited by MonoStone
  • Like 4

cemkaan    1
  • Mix; is excellent but guitar volume dynamics must be manually rechecked
  • Vocals; there is nothing missing with singing  but its quite in chorus 
  • As arrangement: String pads can be muted in some parts

I really like this. Great atmosphere. I can listen to this on repeat.

I agree the guitars might be every so slightly hot. I think the vocals could be brought up slightly. The backing vocals add an extra dimension to the song.

Great stuff!

crystalsuzy    85

excellent track Dek. I love your vocal on this track, and even though you're not going to change to the lyrics, I like to be able to read along :rolleyes:

I too agree that the guitar, and maybe some of the other instruments, may be a little too hot. I would like to hear more dynamics, but other than that, I love it :hippy:

HoboSage    1,990

I think the mix sounds great except for one of the guitars - the one that starts centered and plays the single notes in between the palm-muted riffs and the spread higher riffs, and which then breaks into broken chords during choruses.  It sounds too loud to me.  I also think it's really weird that it starts centered, then gets panned to the left,  (at a lower volume) when you first start singing, and then comes back to the center later.  I think that guitar should stay centered and not be as loud.  I also think you could add a touch of sustaining distortion to it (not a lot - just to give it some bite and sustain) when it goes to the chorus broken chords - like you stepped on a pedal.  That would be a nice and appropriate change for that guitar to take during the choruses.  Just my opinions.  Good stuff.

BenStoller    24

I actually prefer your singing style in this song to your previous style. The song has a great groove! All the song needs is a kick-ass guitar solo to break it up a little. It doesn't need to be very long.

MonoStone    904
10 hours ago, cemkaan said:
  • Mix; is excellent but guitar volume dynamics must be manually rechecked
  • Vocals; there is nothing missing with singing  but its quite in chorus 
  • As arrangement: String pads can be muted in some parts

7 hours ago, Will Sketches said:

I really like this. Great atmosphere. I can listen to this on repeat.

I agree the guitars might be every so slightly hot. I think the vocals could be brought up slightly. The backing vocals add an extra dimension to the song.

Great stuff!

7 hours ago, crystalsuzy said:

excellent track Dek. I love your vocal on this track, and even though you're not going to change to the lyrics, I like to be able to read along :rolleyes:

I too agree that the guitar, and maybe some of the other instruments, may be a little too hot. I would like to hear more dynamics, but other than that, I love it :hippy:

5 hours ago, HoboSage said:

I think the mix sounds great except for one of the guitars - the one that starts centered and plays the single notes in between the palm-muted riffs and the spread higher riffs, and which then breaks into broken chords during choruses.  It sounds too loud to me.  I also think it's really weird that it starts centered, then gets panned to the left,  (at a lower volume) when you first start singing, and then comes back to the center later.  I think that guitar should stay centered and not be as loud.  I also think you could add a touch of sustaining distortion to it (not a lot - just to give it some bite and sustain) when it goes to the chorus broken chords - like you stepped on a pedal.  That would be a nice and appropriate change for that guitar to take during the choruses.  Just my opinions.  Good stuff.

14 minutes ago, BenStoller said:

I actually prefer your singing style in this song to your previous style. The song has a great groove! All the song needs is a kick-ass guitar solo to break it up a little. It doesn't need to be very long.

Thanks all of you, I will check the guitar levels and panning too and tweak a little, and I'll see whether a bit of distortion/sustain works for the chorus as David suggests.... I'm not sure but I was looking for a way to separate the chorus more and that might do the trick.

Suzy, I posted the words since you asked. And... thinking about it... if I come up with different words in future I might change it, but for the moment I have nothing else to say in the lyrics.

Thanks again,

Dek

Steve Mueske    173

Dek, this is so many kinds of gorgeous! That reverb is so detailed and sweet. Sometimes I feel so lucky to know people here. I just sit back, listen, and know that I'm listening to some of the best unknown music being produced today. And that is no lie. A real pleasure.

MonoStone    904
3 hours ago, Steve Mueske said:

Dek, this is so many kinds of gorgeous! That reverb is so detailed and sweet. Sometimes I feel so lucky to know people here. I just sit back, listen, and know that I'm listening to some of the best unknown music being produced today. And that is no lie. A real pleasure.

Wow thanks Steve. And I feel the same, amazing talent here.  

VERY glad the reverb works for you, you are the master of sweet, detailed reverb. That was one of the main things I worked on for this version of the mix.

Thanks again!

MikeRobinson    163

Try these two cuts:

• Eliminate altogether the first 10 seconds.
  • Now, having once presented this motif, cut straight to 0:30 when the vocalist first appears.

Now, a more-general problem with this track (IMHO) is that it seems to occupy a very narrow frequency range: there's nothing "bass" here, for instance. Likewise, when I begin to "impatiently 'scrub forward,'" I feel that I am hearing the same thing.  The song is presenting one thing, yes, but where is the contrast?  "Yin, yes."  But, "yang?"  A theorist might say that the song has an "AAAAAAA" style ... how about "B?"

Dallon426    29

Yes, I think the mix is great.  Cool song!  I think it could use some more musical ideas, or changes since it's a long song.  Maybe a faster harder section just to change it up a bit.

Other than that, I think it's great.  Nice work!

MonoStone    904
2 hours ago, MikeRobinson said:

Try these two cuts:

• Eliminate altogether the first 10 seconds.

Thanks for your feedback Mike, but no ... lol... Just NO. I love that little intro bit. I mean I really enjoy that bit, even though it's mine, so It's staying :) 

Now, having once presented this motif, cut straight to 0:30 when the vocalist first appears.

Again I won't agree. But thanks for the suggestion. To me the timing/structure feels right. I think coming in with the vocal after 10 seconds (if I did my sums right) doesn't allow enough time for the musical intro which, I think, is a strong part... probably stronger than my sung bits ;) 

Now, a more-general problem with this track (IMHO) is that it seems to occupy a very narrow frequency range: there's nothing "bass" here

Well this is something I should look at. My concern here is that I do hear bass, I have bass guitar and also a low organ, besides the drums....but my ears might deceive me as I'm so close to it... and that's why I posted for mix feedback... it's just confusing now though because nobody else pointed out a lack of bass...and if there was 'nothing' then I feel that some of the more keen-eared and critical here would have said.... but maybe they missed it.

So now I'm unsure...and if anyone else is still reading, please shout to let me know whether or not you hear bass!?

ImKeN    271

Great song, Dek! I listened to it several times, and though I'm not an expert as you guys all know, the mix sounded spotless. But I do have a preference thing about the kick drum: I'm missing the attack but I'm not suggesting that you do anything drastic with it, just maybe a little boost in the frequency area for that "slap?" 

Not that the bass is inaudible or anything - I hear the bass just fine - but I'm guessing that a little more attack in the kick would define it a little more?

All the best,

Ken

HoboSage    1,990

Sorry for being confusing, Dek.  When I said "chorus,"  I actually meant the little prechorus/rise, and I guess it's the left panned guitar that breaks into broken chords.  I was suggesting those notes have more bite and sustain to them.  As for the actual chorus itself, adding another even more distorting and sustaining guitar hitting power chords or broken chords far in the background and in stereo could augment it nicely, and might be something Phil Manzanera (Roxy Music) or Andy Summers might do.  The other guitar bits remind me of their styles.

Edited by HoboSage

MonoStone    904
2 hours ago, ImKeN said:

Great song, Dek! I listened to it several times, and though I'm not an expert as you guys all know, the mix sounded spotless. But I do have a preference thing about the kick drum: I'm missing the attack but I'm not suggesting that you do anything drastic with it, just maybe a little boost in the frequency area for that "slap?" 

Not that the bass is inaudible or anything - I hear the bass just fine - but I'm guessing that a little more attack in the kick would define it a little more?

All the best,

Ken

Thanks Ken, I'll look at the kick :)

2 hours ago, HoboSage said:

Sorry for being confusing, Dek.  When I said "chorus,"  I actually meant the little prechorus/rise, and I guess it's the left panned guitar that breaks into broken chords.  I was suggesting those notes have more bite and sustain to them.  As for the actual chorus itself, adding another even more distorting and sustaining guitar hitting power chords or broken chords far in the background and in stereo could augment it nicely, and might be something Phil Manzanera (Roxy Music) or Andy Summers might do.  The other guitar bits remind me of their styles.

Thanks David. Ah ok... I'll look at that. I don't know why I panned the guitar over when the singing starts btw...nice catch... I must have had a reason but forgot I'd done it...it is odd. 

By the way, are you hearing enough bottom on this track? 

FWIW, I had no problems with the bottom end yesterday, or today. Read into that what you will. ;)

I agree with @ImKeN about the kick. It's quite boomy, a bit woolly sounding. Could do with some snap.

Edit: Ah, now I remember what this song reminds me of. It reminds me of "Fool's Gold" by the Stone Roses. What a great song. The bass in that one is comparable to your mix, maybe less present, even.

Edited by Will Sketches

MonoStone    904
28 minutes ago, Will Sketches said:

FWIW, I had no problems with the bottom end yesterday, or today. Read into that what you will. ;)

I agree with @ImKeN about the kick. It's quite boomy, a bit woolly sounding. Could do with some snap.

Edit: Ah, now I remember what this song reminds me of. It reminds me of "Fool's Gold" by the Stone Roses. What a great song. The bass in that one is comparable to your mix, maybe less present, even.

Thanks Will, Very helpful.

Ah...Fools Gold... a classic from my fellow Mancs (my old band rehearsed next door to them in those days). 

I never thought of it that way. Maybe I should have sang it in my Manc accent...

Cheers.

Edited by MonoStone

Jim622    80

Great atmosphere. Like Will said the backing vocals add nicely. I can't believe I am saying it, but I disagree with Ben - no guitar solo is needed.

Did I just say that?

Edited by Jim622

MonoStone    904
17 hours ago, Will Sketches said:

Edit: Ah, now I remember what this song reminds me of. It reminds me of "Fool's Gold" by the Stone Roses.

Actually maybe I should try to get more of my normal accent through (without going OTT).... you mentioning the Roses made me think again about that.

7 hours ago, Jim622 said:

Great atmosphere. Like Will said the backing vocals add nicely. I can't believe I am saying it, but I disagree with Ben - no guitar solo is needed.

Did I just say that?

Thanks Jim, I'm glad you like it. I won't be adding a guitar solo :)

Jenn    246

Damn it Dek I don't know how you do this. I understand what everyone is saying about the kick, especially during the chorus. I think it's too punchy.. too closed of a sound. I think you could compensate it by making it mesh with the bass? I'm not sure... but that's what I would try.

The guitars are a little distracting in volume, and could be the tiniest bit softer.

Great backing vocals at 3:20, but I'm not sure the ones at 3:40 work so much.. But I'll have to give a second listen

I agree that it was also hard to differentiate the chorus from the verse. And because of this, it felt a little long.

Hang on I'm gonna listen again and probably revoke everything I just said

I also think you should keep the voice that you have in the verses for the chorus... Or something else. For me at least, it doesn't quite translate. Cause it goes from really rigid and sharp to smooth and almost transparent.. 

I still think the guitars are a little distracting. But the kick didn't bother me as much. 

Here are just my thoughts... Still a beautiful song

MonoStone    904
7 hours ago, Jenn said:

Damn it Dek I don't know how you do this. I understand what everyone is saying about the kick, especially during the chorus. I think it's too punchy.. too closed of a sound. I think you could compensate it by making it mesh with the bass? I'm not sure... but that's what I would try.

The guitars are a little distracting in volume, and could be the tiniest bit softer.

Great backing vocals at 3:20, but I'm not sure the ones at 3:40 work so much.. But I'll have to give a second listen

I agree that it was also hard to differentiate the chorus from the verse. And because of this, it felt a little long.

Hang on I'm gonna listen again and probably revoke everything I just said

I also think you should keep the voice that you have in the verses for the chorus... Or something else. For me at least, it doesn't quite translate. Cause it goes from really rigid and sharp to smooth and almost transparent.. 

I still think the guitars are a little distracting. But the kick didn't bother me as much. 

Here are just my thoughts... Still a beautiful song

Thanks Jenn, you touch on the reasons I shelved this (not the guitars...I love all the music in this, even if I say so myself ;) and I will turn one guitar down a touch but I like how that dominates, I think it's the hook to be honest) ... the verse and chorus have very different feels vocally...and that's probably something I should work on if I'm not being lazy. I think the words could use a few tweaks too...but mainly it's about unifying the voice...BUT...I think it would be wrong to sing the chorus in the same type of rigid voice as the verse...I think it likely needs one voice that suits all, but not that one...hmmmm.... we shall see. I will try another vocal approach soon...and I might experiment with slight changes to the chorus melody/phrasing, I just don't know whether I can improve it (tried before).

• Like 1

Just1L    950

I like this but do see where the verses and chorus feel the same. IMO it's the drums. Seems like the same thing being played throughout. Maybe changing up those drums when the chorus comes would help. And I think once those drums are changed you could then revisit the vocals for the chorus. I think this has a real great feel to it but just listening without reading along it does feel very similar throughout, which makes it feel long ... and I blame the drums. Well, that and the fact that it is long at almost 6 minutes.

Did I say drums yet? LOL

Randy

Edited by Just1L
  • Like 1

Fernando    39

It's nice, I really enjoyed it.

But I really needed you to go higher in your singing, mixed or head voice; something exciting was missing. I think that this song needs something to surprise our ears, it sounds kind of monotonous all along. What if you added some higher female voices in some parts of it, the chorus for example?; I think it could benefit from that.

Thanks.

Edited by Fernando

Richard Tracey    275

Dek - this is a really nice track. To my ears the mix sounded fine and all instruments seemed to be in their rightful place, including the vocals. I always preferred when you sang this way (just don't do it with a Manc accent - it will date the track;)).

My only nit was the first intro into the chorus didn't seem to gel as well as it does later in the song, it seemed to be abrupt and it made my ears prick up, where as it didn't later on.

MonoStone    904
17 hours ago, Just1L said:

I like this but do see where the verses and chorus feel the same. IMO it's the drums. Seems like the same thing being played throughout. Maybe changing up those drums when the chorus comes would help. And I think once those drums are changed you could then revisit the vocals for the chorus. I think this has a real great feel to it but just listening without reading along it does feel very similar throughout, which makes it feel long ... and I blame the drums. Well, that and the fact that it is long at almost 6 minutes.

Did I say drums yet? LOL

Randy

Thanks Randy, I will look at the drums for sure! I like them a lot, hence maybe over-using... not sure... I will check.

6 hours ago, Fernando said:

It's nice, I really enjoyed it.

But I really needed you to go higher in your singing, mixed or head voice; something exciting was missing. I think that this song needs something to surprise our ears, it sounds kind of monotonous all along. What if you added some higher female voices in some parts of it, the chorus for example?; I think it could benefit from that.

Thanks.

Thanks Fernando, 

I Not sure I can get higher. I might explore getting another singer to join in, maybe, but I'd have to be very picky on the vocal style so... not sure it'll work out...maybe... it's a good idea anyway.

1 hour ago, Richard Tracey said:

Dek - this is a really nice track. To my ears the mix sounded fine and all instruments seemed to be in their rightful place, including the vocals. I always preferred when you sang this way (just don't do it with a Manc accent - it will date the track;)).

My only nit was the first intro into the chorus didn't seem to gel as well as it does later in the song, it seemed to be abrupt and it made my ears prick up, where as it didn't later on.

Thanks Richard, just to annoy you I'm gonna do it in full Manc scally... R kid. That's my roots anyway... ;)

I'll check out the bit before the chorus. Still work to do on this... it's a bit of a pain in the arse, I really like the track but still haven't got it QUITE right. 

Edited by MonoStone

starise    398

The mix here seems ok overall. It has a little mid range edge which I actually prefer. The reverb gives it a great feeling of expansiveness. The guitar parts or loops give this a hypnotic effect along with the beat. The kind of drone in the vocal, not specifically a drone, but the constant range it's in gives me the feeling of a constant. Somewhere around note F? F#maybe? I don't know, but it's that constant that gives it a mysterious feel. Good panning. 

I can hear small return or musical response parts here and there added, like soft synth runs after lyric statements.In some places it almost seems too empty between endings of statements. Nothing that sticks out too much. Too much and you loose that open feel it has.

I like the change ups in the I'm guessing chorus.Gives it a nice break. I'm not sure I'm a fan of the bass intro. Just me. It isn't a negative, just something I question for some unknown reason.

I'm trying to see what it needs and I can't really find anything major. Great work and classic Dek. You have a unique, relaxing and reflective sound. I know you've done things that are way different, but I could tell it was you two miles out :)

The track has a feeling of quality and cleaness to it. If that makes any sense to you. 

brycebad    24

I get super 80's vibes... And I LOVE it haha!!! Well done! The mixing is pretty good, I think its pretty hard to achieve the "professional sound" without all the proper equipment and stuff so I think this is pretty damn close. Keep it up!

symphonious7    190

Mixing of course is still a mystery to me, and I'm never sure if I'm hearing the original in these threads or a revamped version based on feedback.  If this is the original though, I don't agree about the kick.  I LOVE the tonal area it's in, I hear nothing specific wrong with the mix, just overall it may be kinda... harsh in the highs?  But isn't stuff like that fixed in mastering?  Just sounds a bit too crisp overall, but that's when I listen with a critical ear, it's very easy to not try and notice and just drift off to the vibes.  As for the song itself?  My wife heard it in the other room and thought I was listening to Milton Nascimento, he's an amazing brazillian 70's artist so that's... pretty cool lol  I thought it was good!  I mean... it didn't blow me away per se, but not all music has to.  Had a great vibe, lots of good jamming in there, cool parts, I dug it :)  

MonoStone    904
On 20 July 2017 at 3:20 PM, daryl1968 said:

very nice - I'm not sure if I'm listening before or after a remix but the levels seem pretty spot on here

Thanks Daryl!

On 20 July 2017 at 4:10 PM, starise said:

The mix here seems ok overall. It has a little mid range edge which I actually prefer. The reverb gives it a great feeling of expansiveness. The guitar parts or loops give this a hypnotic effect along with the beat. The kind of drone in the vocal, not specifically a drone, but the constant range it's in gives me the feeling of a constant. Somewhere around note F? F#maybe? I don't know, but it's that constant that gives it a mysterious feel. Good panning. 

I can hear small return or musical response parts here and there added, like soft synth runs after lyric statements.In some places it almost seems too empty between endings of statements. Nothing that sticks out too much. Too much and you loose that open feel it has.

I like the change ups in the I'm guessing chorus.Gives it a nice break. I'm not sure I'm a fan of the bass intro. Just me. It isn't a negative, just something I question for some unknown reason.

I'm trying to see what it needs and I can't really find anything major. Great work and classic Dek. You have a unique, relaxing and reflective sound. I know you've done things that are way different, but I could tell it was you two miles out :)

The track has a feeling of quality and cleaness to it. If that makes any sense to you. 

Thanks Tim, Good to hear your thoughts on it. I don't feel done with it yet.... it's a pain... 

On 23 July 2017 at 6:59 PM, brycebad said:

I get super 80's vibes... And I LOVE it haha!!! Well done! The mixing is pretty good, I think its pretty hard to achieve the "professional sound" without all the proper equipment and stuff so I think this is pretty damn close. Keep it up!

Hi Brycebad, 80s? Ok :) I didn't feel like that but maybe it is... not sure why though. Glad you like it! Yes it is really hard, cheap equipment and self taught...it's a struggle...so I'm happy you think it's somewhere close :)  

On 23 July 2017 at 8:36 PM, symphonious7 said:

Mixing of course is still a mystery to me, and I'm never sure if I'm hearing the original in these threads or a revamped version based on feedback.  If this is the original though, I don't agree about the kick.  I LOVE the tonal area it's in, I hear nothing specific wrong with the mix, just overall it may be kinda... harsh in the highs?  But isn't stuff like that fixed in mastering?  Just sounds a bit too crisp overall, but that's when I listen with a critical ear, it's very easy to not try and notice and just drift off to the vibes.  As for the song itself?  My wife heard it in the other room and thought I was listening to Milton Nascimento, he's an amazing brazillian 70's artist so that's... pretty cool lol  I thought it was good!  I mean... it didn't blow me away per se, but not all music has to.  Had a great vibe, lots of good jamming in there, cool parts, I dug it :)  

Hi Symph, It is the original. I've not changed it at all since I posted. I'm with you on the kick, to me it's part of what makes the atmosphere in it...if I change that a lot of the mood might shift. Yes I can attempt to tame some highs etc when it's all done...  I had to go find some Milton Nascimento tracks of course, since you said that...Cool! I can pretend to be that cool ;)   "it didn't blow me away per se" no well that's the problem with this, it's a 'nearly' kind of tune... seems like I got a good vibe but did I really make a good 'song'? And that's one reason why I've had this knocking around on the shelf collecting dust for several months. I still don't feel like it's reached its potential... and I still don't really know why...but I won't be throwing it away.  I'm glad you liked the vibe of it!

Cheers all!

Dek

• Like 1