MonoStone

I'll be with you - Mix ok?

symphonious7    190

Hey @MonoStone I don't think that's a very realistic way to think.  I mean I think Harry Nilsson is a genius of epic proportions, he wrote "Living Without You" and many other songs that blow me away, but do ALL his songs blow me away?  No some are just pretty fun, they're just nice, not even "filler" just, serves a different purpose.  I'd say the ratio with him is like... half of his songs are the "melt me" songs and half are the "Pretty dang good songs" or whatever, I'm just saying... no artist I know of has an album where every single song FLOORS me.  Well ok I can think of like a couple albums but they're rare, but NO artist I can think of makes albums like that all the time that are of that level like...  

I just think it's part of the gig.  As musicians we should just be creating, as long as our creations are true and have value, share them.  Sometimes people just want some nice background music or good vibes, I don't think we can strike gold every time.  I sure can't, I've got my songs I can appreciate but realize they didn't turn out as monumental as I imagined, and I've got those special songs, the ones where I'm just like "Man I was in the zone that time how did I come up with that??"  I think as a musician you're just gonna write both types of songs, and there's no reason to spend too much time trying to make one song something it doesn't need to be when you could just be taking another crack at "striking gold" so to speak.  That's the way I see it anyway, and keep in mind, I'm a very.... analytical and detailed listener, I rarely every fangirl over anything.  I doubt many people are GOING to be able to get me feeling mind blown by their work, I mean, if artists like David Bowie still have songs albums I feel didn't hit the mark, then obviously I've got some pretty high standards in my head, so take my opinions with a grain of salt, I hold everything up to a somewhat ridiculous level of perfection, but that's the perspective I bring to the table.  

So just to further give an analogy, take the band Queen.  Every album for me?  Got a few songs I skip, are they bad?  Nah, I just wanna get to Bohemian Rhapsody cause that's the one that blows me away.  See?  Even Queen man, even Queen.... lmaoooooo

MonoStone    904
Just now, symphonious7 said:

Harry Nilsson is a genius of epic proportions, he wrote "Living Without You

He didn't.... it was written by Badfinger .... And the two guys who wrote it both killed themselves. They died penniless!

• Like 1

MonoStone    904
4 minutes ago, symphonious7 said:

Hey @MonoStone I don't think that's a very realistic way to think.  I mean I think Harry Nilsson is a genius of epic proportions, he wrote "Living Without You" and many other songs that blow me away, but do ALL his songs blow me away?  No some are just pretty fun, they're just nice, not even "filler" just, serves a different purpose.  I'd say the ratio with him is like... half of his songs are the "melt me" songs and half are the "Pretty dang good songs" or whatever, I'm just saying... no artist I know of has an album where every single song FLOORS me.  Well ok I can think of like a couple albums but they're rare, but NO artist I can think of makes albums like that all the time that are of that level like...  

I just think it's part of the gig.  As musicians we should just be creating, as long as our creations are true and have value, share them.  Sometimes people just want some nice background music or good vibes, I don't think we can strike gold every time.  I sure can't, I've got my songs I can appreciate but realize they didn't turn out as monumental as I imagined, and I've got those special songs, the ones where I'm just like "Man I was in the zone that time how did I come up with that??"  I think as a musician you're just gonna write both types of songs, and there's no reason to spend too much time trying to make one song something it doesn't need to be when you could just be taking another crack at "striking gold" so to speak.  That's the way I see it anyway, and keep in mind, I'm a very.... analytical and detailed listener, I rarely every fangirl over anything.  I doubt many people are GOING to be able to get me feeling mind blown by their work, I mean, if artists like David Bowie still have songs albums I feel didn't hit the mark, then obviously I've got some pretty high standards in my head, so take my opinions with a grain of salt, I hold everything up to a somewhat ridiculous level of perfection, but that's the perspective I bring to the table.  

So just to further give an analogy, take the band Queen.  Every album for me?  Got a few songs I skip, are they bad?  Nah, I just wanna get to Bohemian Rhapsody cause that's the one that blows me away.  See?  Even Queen man, even Queen.... lmaoooooo

But yes I totally get your point...still, we have to try to make them the best they can be I think. I can't help it, even though I might not have written ANY really great songs lol, I can't help but try. That said, at some point I'll settle with it.

Thanks again, it is actually helpful to look at it that way too. 

• Like 1

symphonious7    190
1 minute ago, MonoStone said:

He didn't.... it was written by Badfinger .... And the two guys who wrote it both killed themselves. They died penniless!

Badfinger wrote that???  No way!!!  I was aware he did alot of covers but I mean... that's.... his song!!!  It's like.......   you just totally pulled the rug out from under me....  NUUUUU!!!!!!!!  lollll

symphonious7    190
1 minute ago, MonoStone said:

But yes I totally get your point...still, we have to try to make them the best they can be I think. I can't help it, even though I might not have written ANY really great songs lol, I can't help but try. That said, at some point I'll settle with it.

Thanks again, it is actually helpful to look at it that way too. 

Whoa whoa whoa hold it there buddy, nobody said this wasn't a "REALLY GREAT" song, it is bro, I just didn't want to hear it again immediately after listening.  That's all.  I might need to start being more careful how I express myself, I intended to make you feel encouraged, not discouraged.  

MonoStone    904
Just now, symphonious7 said:

Badfinger wrote that???  No way!!!  I was aware he did alot of covers but I mean... that's.... his song!!!  It's like.......   you just totally pulled the rug out from under me....  NUUUUU!!!!!!!!  lollll

Yep from what I can gather it is one reason Pete Ham hung himself....not because Harry recorded it, but because he was ripped off by management ...the song should have made him millions of course, but didn't. I guess it wasn't the only reason. Who knows. 

Fair play though....Harry's version was a big improvement on the original....but...he did not write it.

• Like 1

symphonious7    190
Just now, MonoStone said:

Yep from what I can gather it is one reason Pete Ham hung himself....not because Harry recorded it, but because he was ripped off by management ...the song should have made him millions of course, but didn't. I guess it wasn't the only reason. Who knows. 

Fair play though....Harry's version was a big improvement on the original....but...he did not write it.

Man......  well I'm pretty sure he still wrote alot of those killer songs he did but yeah... I did always wonder how he most of his songs were little ditties but then he still managed to write "Without You"..... makes sense now.... he didn't write my other favorite song of his either, which Randy Newman did, and I don't even like Randy Newman....  pfft...  well there you go, Harry Nilsson didn't even write his greatest hit.  hahahaha

MonoStone    904
10 minutes ago, symphonious7 said:

Whoa whoa whoa hold it there buddy, nobody said this wasn't a "REALLY GREAT" song, it is bro, I just didn't want to hear it again immediately after listening.  That's all.  I might need to start being more careful how I express myself, I intended to make you feel encouraged, not discouraged.  

You're over thinking it mate :) You didn't discourage me at all. Not a bit. Actually I was very chuffed at your 70s Brazilian bloke comparison. 

• Haha 1

symphonious7    190
Just now, MonoStone said:

You're over thinking it mate :) You didn't discourage me at all. Not a bit. Actually I was very chuffed at your 70s Brazilian bloke comparison. 

Thanks, I do that alot.  The overthinking thing *shuts brain off* ok bye now 

lulzzzzzzzz

CapM    70

Sounds really really good!  You scared me during the mono intro - I was thinking "this sounds horribly flat" but then the song kicked in.  Nice head fake!  

I consider you the master of reverb and delay.  If I ever do a song with your level of ambience, I will surely hit you up.  Sweet tune!  :rockin: