Sign in to follow this  
Giora Tal

Conjured up this song in the dead of night

Giora Tal    5

Hi community, I want to share with you this track I conjured last night.

I'm working with Abletone and Launchpad (Novation Mini) so the argument is being set live.

I like the idea of creating a live show but I find it confusing and hard to set it up first.

Do you have any suggestions on how to "structure" a live track? how do you decide the arrangements before?

Thanks!

HoboSage    1,990

I would structure, arrange and mix an improvisational creation like this as I would any other piece - because they all start with improvisation.  Here, for example, I would not keep the hi-hat hard panned to just one side of the mix, because it doesn't sound good.  I would also have a change in the chord progression at some point, because for me, it gets too same-samey after a bit, despite the build of things.  Don't get so caught up in the loops of things that you leave the piece directionless and not really going anywhere.  Think of this as an improvisational jam to come up with a start to something cool - and this is the start of something cool - but then impose your will on it to structure, arrange and mix it to be an aesthetically-satisfying work overall.  Even an actual "live" show should be of a polished and structured performance that's mixed well.

Just my opinions.

Edited by HoboSage

Giora Tal    5
54 minutes ago, HoboSage said:

I would structure, arrange and mix an improvisational creation like this as I would any other piece - because they all start with improvisation.  Here, for example, I would not keep the hi-hat hard panned to just one side of the mix, because it doesn't sound good.  I would also have a change in the chord progression at some point, because for me, it gets too same-samey after a bit, despite the build of things.  Don't get so caught up in the loops of things that you leave the piece directionless and not really going anywhere.  Think of this as an improvisational jam to come up with a start to something cool - and this is the start of something cool - but then impose your will on it to structure, arrange and mix it to be an aesthetically-satisfying work overall.  Even an actual "live" show should be of a polished and structured performance that's mixed well.

Just my opinions.

Thank you for that. I tend to agree, a live show should be polished and structured. That is why I'm trying to piece together the puzzle as I go.

I appreciate your remark for the chords not changing. That is another thing  I need to prearrange for a smooth transition.

Much appreciated,

G.