Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Just1L    949

OK I've been messing around with the intro on this tune. They're each only 26 seconds long so if you have a little time, please let me know which one you like better. Thanks - Randy

 

If you don't want to post could you possibly just like one of the two on SC. That would suffice. Thanks again.

 

https://soundcloud.com/just-1l/jlig_1

 

https://soundcloud.com/just-1l/jlig_2

 

 

Just Let It Go
Randy Drilingas Just 1L ©2017

 

What a strange way
To start the morning.
A little bit of salt
Laden tears
for those in mourning.

 

Find a space and keep what’s real
Right next to you.
When you can no longer take it all.
The savior in the mirror looks kind of like 
A beat up drum.

 

Let it go.
Just let it go.

 

When the brain drain
Becomes less warming.
Attention spans gone.
Trick the pain
With something alarming.

 

It’s a damn shame
This I know.
Go back a space and lose one turn.
Then watch and wait to find a cure for all.
With hated breath.

 

Let it go.
Just let it go.

 

Something doesn’t feel the same.
Bearing the weight of others pain.
24/7 every day.
Peace of mind’s been led astray

 

 

Edited by Just1L
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HoboSage    1,990

Another solid tune in your signature style.  Where would you put a guitar solo?  If there were an obvious space to put one, I could understand you pondering including a solo.  But, there isn't an obvious space, and so I don't understand why you're contemplating it.  Mix-wise, I personally think you should get the guitars out in space more side-to-side.  Everything sounds a bit crammed in the middle, with just some cymbals and backing vocals out on the far edges here and there.  So much guitar in the middle makes the vocals harder to understand too.  I would have less echoing effects on the guitars and pan them more towards each side.  Just my opinions.  Good stuff, Randy.

 

P.S.  I've noticed you've really upped your game in terms of the drums you're using in recent tunes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nelson Z    19

I like it! Catchy chorus. I was going to comment on the drums but you said it what on the list of things to do. So I'm just gonna mention that the rhythm guitar stands a bit too much out, beginning at 2:27.

 

Nice job, anyway.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just1L    949
6 hours ago, HoboSage said:

Another solid tune in your signature style.  Where would you put a guitar solo?  If there were an obvious space to put one, I could understand you pondering including a solo.  But, there isn't an obvious space, and so I don't understand why you're contemplating it.  Mix-wise, I personally think you should get the guitars out in space more side-to-side.  Everything sounds a bit crammed in the middle, with just some cymbals and backing vocals out on the far edges here and there.  So much guitar in the middle makes the vocals harder to understand too.  I would have less echoing effects on the guitars and pan them more towards each side.  Just my opinions.  Good stuff, Randy.

 

P.S.  I've noticed you've really upped your game in terms of the drums you're using in recent tunes.

 

Thanks Dave. This is the exact kind of info I was looking for. Interestingly I currently don't have any guitars sitting in the middle but I didn't go too far out with them. For some reason I don't go wide enough. But I will. I'll say the new GB with virtual drummer has been a real treat for me. I actually look forward to going in and working on them now.

 

I have a space before the bridge I plan to solo in. The part during the bridge will be the end of the solo keeping the same notes.

 

I appreciate the comments as usual. 

 

Randy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just1L    949
1 hour ago, Nelson Z said:

I like it! Catchy chorus. I was going to comment on the drums but you said it what on the list of things to do. So I'm just gonna mention that the rhythm guitar stands a bit too much out, beginning at 2:27.

 

Nice job, anyway.

 

Thanks Nelson. I appreciate the rhythm guitar comments, that's the stuff I'm looking for. Perfect. Yep, drums are next. Although, if your comment was something along the lines of "the kick is too loud" or "the snare could come up" I would like to know that as the current levels will probably be what I use. 

 

Thanks again,

Randy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
snabbu    439

Hi

Its quite manic isn't it. I agree with the rhythm guitar comments because to me the rhythm track is sounding very much the same all the way through.

I am wondering when you are talking about a guitar solo if you are thinking about putting that under the vocal as a countermelody to change things up a bit, dropping the the thrash rhythm back a bit in the mix. The vocals need their own space I'm loosing them in the guitars. I am wondering if you put in some stops for emphasis when you change parts of the song a drum fill or something. To break up the drive. I think for me it's constant with no release and I am thinking it would be more effective with some points of contrast. Hooky chorus.

 

Cheers

 

Gary

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MonoStone    904

I like the song a lot. It's cool. You sound great as always...

 

For me the only issue with this is the mix, but from your OP I got the impression you hadn't really worked much on that yet? As it stands the mix is less wide, less crisp, and much more distant (less present) sounding than your usual.... but no doubt it will be as good as your other mixes when you're done.

 

Since you usually write in a set 'band' kind of style using the same instruments (I think) you could have a template set up for production couldn't you? I mean use Donkey Kong as your template rig and mix setup...keep each track and settings but just clear the audio out then record new audio in? Maybe I'm over simplifying....and I've never managed to follow my own advice in that respect but I think maybe it would work better for you.

 

Anyway.... Cool song. I liked it all.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just1L    949
19 hours ago, snabbu said:

Hi

Its quite manic isn't it. I agree with the rhythm guitar comments because to me the rhythm track is sounding very much the same all the way through.

I am wondering when you are talking about a guitar solo if you are thinking about putting that under the vocal as a countermelody to change things up a bit, dropping the the thrash rhythm back a bit in the mix. The vocals need their own space I'm loosing them in the guitars. I am wondering if you put in some stops for emphasis when you change parts of the song a drum fill or something. To break up the drive. I think for me it's constant with no release and I am thinking it would be more effective with some points of contrast. Hooky chorus.

 

Manic Rock … I like it. Thank you for the comments. I definitely need to work on the mix to give the vocals some space (among other things.) You know, I hear what you're saying about the constant drive but that is actually my intention, so if nothing else, that's working. Since it's about the 24/7 non-stop information we're consuming, I wanted it to feel that way. The solo will only add to the drive and manic-ness of it all but that is what I'm going for in a little bit of a punk rock kind of way. It's planned to start right after the second chorus carrying in to the bridge. Thank you again for the comments. They are much appreciated.

 

Randy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just1L    949
7 hours ago, MonoStone said:

I like the song a lot. It's cool. You sound great as always...

 

For me the only issue with this is the mix, but from your OP I got the impression you hadn't really worked much on that yet? As it stands the mix is less wide, less crisp, and much more distant (less present) sounding than your usual.... but no doubt it will be as good as your other mixes when you're done.

 

Since you usually write in a set 'band' kind of style using the same instruments (I think) you could have a template set up for production couldn't you? I mean use Donkey Kong as your template rig and mix setup...keep each track and settings but just clear the audio out then record new audio in? Maybe I'm over simplifying....and I've never managed to follow my own advice in that respect but I think maybe it would work better for you.

 

Anyway.... Cool song. I liked it all.

 

Thanks Dek. Yep, working on the mix will hopefully bring this up to where it needs to be. You've pointed out something that I really should be doing, which is using the same instruments to give everything a cohesive sound from song to song. As I've been searching for my sound I tend to use different effects each time trying to find that perfect one. I do gather I could look at a few of my more recent tunes and go from there. If I could do what you suggest by using a sort of template, that would be awesome but something tells me it won't be that easy, it never is. LOL 

 

Thanks again - Randy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CapM    70

Solo would go in place of the vocals from 2:46 to 3:04, then bring the vocals back in while you hold the last note of the solo.  :rockin:

 

It's so difficult to have electric guitars in the middle.  Not only does it cover up the vocals, but also the cool mandolin-sounding acoustic you have in there.  I'd approach this song as electrics panned all the way L and R, mono acoustic in the middle.  Also, you have a bass tone that sounds more Ampeg-ish?  Goes great with this rock style IMHO.  Drums are a little too squashed here, too.

 

Cool tune!  Work a little on the mix now and I think everything should pop!  :guitar:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HoboSage    1,990
On 7/24/2017 at 1:25 PM, Just1L said:

I have a space before the bridge I plan to solo in. The part during the bridge will be the end of the solo keeping the same notes.

 

 

I wouldn't replace the vocals with a solo where Darin suggests.  I think the singing is too important there.  But, if you're talking about from 2:10 to 2:28, then yeah.  I can hear a solo in that space now.  But, in my opinion, the solo should end in a way that makes a natural-sounding connection with the more lead-like guitar panned a bit left that starts the bridge before you start singing.  In fact, maybe the solo should be with that same guitar.  Assuming you do spread the guitars more distinctly, you could put that bridge "lead" clip before you start singing on a separate track and center it, then add to it with more lead work in the preceding space from 2:10 to 2:28.  Just an idea.

 

 

Edited by HoboSage
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CapM    70

That space would be good, too.  But I'm not so sure that almost an entire minute outro of "let it go" would miss a few let it go's.  IMHO both work.  Depends on how much you like to solo and how proficient you are at it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just1L    949
4 hours ago, CapM said:

Solo would go in place of the vocals from 2:46 to 3:04, then bring the vocals back in while you hold the last note of the solo.  :rockin:

 

It's so difficult to have electric guitars in the middle.  Not only does it cover up the vocals, but also the cool mandolin-sounding acoustic you have in there.  I'd approach this song as electrics panned all the way L and R, mono acoustic in the middle.  Also, you have a bass tone that sounds more Ampeg-ish?  Goes great with this rock style IMHO.  Drums are a little too squashed here, too.

 

Cool tune!  Work a little on the mix now and I think everything should pop!  :guitar:

 

I can see how that would work there but it's where Dave mentioned it, below your original post. It's actually exactly how Dave described it with the lead guitar that comes in before the bridge vocals being the end of the solo. I'll use the same guitar and sound and make sure the solo ends in a way to achieve that "almost" slow down during the bridge. Doing it how you suggest I do believe would also work to an extent. I wasn't sure the guitar playing after the second chorus was strong enough to stand on it's own. 

 

Thanks for the panning advice. I will def give that a try as you suggest. Although, I currently do not have any actual guitars in the middle. Granted, they aren't very far off (I think around +/- 13 in each direction. For some reason I tend to not pan far enough. Funny about the mandolin comment. That's my acoustic/electric. It always sounds kind of "tin and mandolin-like." Sometimes I like it. LOL

 

Thanks again for your comments and kind words. They're much appreciated. 

 

Randy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just1L    949
3 hours ago, HoboSage said:

 

 

I wouldn't replace the vocals with a solo where Darin suggests.  I think the singing is too important there.  But, if you're talking about from 2:10 to 2:28, then yeah.  I can hear a solo in that space now.  But, in my opinion, the solo should end in a way that makes a natural-sounding connection with the more lead-like guitar panned a bit left that starts the bridge before you start singing.  In fact, maybe the solo should be with that same guitar.  Assuming you do spread the guitars more distinctly, you could put that bridge "lead" clip before you start singing on a separate track and center it, then add to it with more lead work in the preceding space from 2:10 to 2:28.  Just an idea.

 

 

 

You nailed it. That's my plan. The "more lead-like guitar" at the start of the bridge will be the end notes of the solo using the same guitar. So technically, I have some of the solo finished. Woohoo! No clue whatsoever what I'll do for the rest but my main goal will be to give it a nice flow into the end bit around the bridge area.

 

Thanks again man, I appreciate it.

 

Randy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just1L    949
3 hours ago, CapM said:

That space would be good, too.  But I'm not so sure that almost an entire minute outro of "let it go" would miss a few let it go's.  IMHO both work.  Depends on how much you like to solo and how proficient you are at it.

 

I do like to solo but honestly I'm not all that great at it. Just good enough to scrape by. You hinted at my ? in the intro. Wondering if there are just too many "Let it Go's" at the end. Currently I have it that way for the sake of the listener if they happened to be singing along. When the verses end, if your singing along, you can't really go right into the "Let it Go"s because of holding the words "drum", "breath" and "astray." So for the singers sake I gave an extra round at the end. When I play this on acoustic I do have a pause between the end of the verse and the chorus. Which works pretty good for an acoustic version but I really wanted this thing to be a driving force of rockishness.

 

Randy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just1L    949

OK I've been messing around with the intro on this tune. They're each only 26 seconds long so if you have a little time, please let me know which one you like better. Thanks - Randy

 

If you don't want to post could you possibly just like one of the two on SC. That would suffice. Thanks again.

 

https://soundcloud.com/just-1l/jlig_1

 

https://soundcloud.com/just-1l/jlig_2

Edited by Just1L

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CapM    70

#2 is more interesting, so that would be my choice.   :punk:  (Not a fan of that opening drum fill though.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×