Sign in to follow this  
Giora Tal

How did they do it?

Giora Tal    5

Hi all, I'm listening to George Maple and I wonder how did do one achieve the bongo effect that runs throughout the song. it sounds like the left side is the source and the right side is the reverb sound 

Can someone back engineer it? 

HoboSage    1,990

Though I guess it could be the case, It doesn't sound to me like one side is a reflection of the other.  It sounds to me like both sides are time-delayed reflections with the original source not coming though somehow, or more likely, that both sides are cloned original tracks, with there being a slight offset timing between their respective start times so that each is distinctly heard only on their respective side instead of being exactly simultaneous which would cause them to be heard as one track panned dead center.  It's also possible that this is a built-in aspect of that particular stereo sound and that nothing additional was done to it.   Of course, there's also a heavy does of stereo reverb added as well - much too much, in my opinion.  Anyway, for what it's worth, that's my guess.  And even if that's not how they actually did it, I think these are ways it could be done.

Edited by HoboSage

Giora Tal    5

Thanks@HoboSage

I agree it is the same sound off a few seconds from each other, or could be that it is one sound in the far left or right and the reverb is set to the opposite side. I'll test it on my track.

MikeRobinson    163

I've read quite a few tomes on mixing which suggest matching-up an instrumental track that is panned hard to one side, with a slightly-delayed reverb of the same sound on the other.  Producing the effect of a really large "hall" in which the second sound literally is an echo.

• Like 1

Giora Tal    5
On 7/28/2017 at 7:25 AM, MikeRobinson said:

I've read quite a few tomes on mixing which suggest matching-up an instrumental track that is panned hard to one side, with a slightly-delayed reverb of the same sound on the other.  Producing the effect of a really large "hall" in which the second sound literally is an echo.

Thanks Mike, I suspected that while listening. I like the way it works on the track.

Mind directing me to more professional literature on mixing mastering perhaps?