MonoStone

Anyway... (UPDATED....FEEDBACK TO FINISH IT PLEASE)_(Aaaaaaan Another Update to the mix)

MonoStone    904

I only had a couple of hours today so just rushed this out... I should be finishing mixing other songs (sorry to friends who've done vocals for a previous song...I will finish the mix soon).

It feels like a passing thing more than a song... it is what it is... I'm posting just to share and for any mix feedback. If you don't like it, if it's too down... that's ok... it's a quick thing.

UPDATED - I'd like to finish this one. I'm thinking I'll keep it this length and not add any more words...  unusual structure maybe but it feels right and I hope leaves listeners wanting, maybe it will lead to another song. It makes me want to do some kind of album with repeating themes, if I have the patience... Any feedback at all will be helpful, but especially the mix/arrangement to get it finished off -

LATEST VERSION -

Words - 

Heard that you're feeling you’re falling now

Fading and sinking in fact

happiness isn’t a fantasy

hope you get back in the black

should’ve been with you before

i could’ve been there in the rain

you didn’t tell me you’d called

i should’ve known anyway

this war

you’re tired now 

You’re broken down and

Torn

Better hide yourself

They’re breaking down

Your door

I’m with you now

The tears are taking

Hold

We'll try or fail

With hope anyway

Hold on

Edited by MonoStone
  • Like 4

Jenn    246

This is beautiful Dek.. and really different from what you usually do

The only complaint I have is that the snare is a little loud/tight (if that makes sense?) for me 

And maybe the bass is just the tiniest bit too loud

Ah 2:30.. there's your signature break 

I also think it's an appropriate length, though I was expecting something to come after the break... some little phrases. But I know you just wanted advice for the mix

Still, absolutely beautiful 

HoboSage    1,990

I like the song.  I don't hear anything "wrong" with the mix.  You might reconsider the title.  It's not that original and you're kind of known for original titles, but also, in my opinion, this comes off as a note to someone else.  But of course, that just means you're singing it to yourself . . . but still.  Anyway, I hope you're not actually in the "mood"  expressed by the lyric, and if you are, I hope you succeed in pulling yourself out of it. :)  

Edited by HoboSage

Rough cuts can be gems. This one surely is :)

I could feel a lot of pain in the song.. It's beautifully emotive. 

lflux    6

Yeah, loving this. So very atmospheric. The pitch bending guitar just adds so much, and the song's overall very much recalls Radiohead, which is a great thing.

The sound is very professional and believable. You included a large amount of reverb, and I think it really works for this song. Sometimes an overabundance of reverb can bog a song down but you clearly know your way around it; the synthesisers especially make the listener feel like they're floating atop a dream. The music definitely creates a little sonic space that your mind can lose itself in.

The climax where things become more upbeat is also quite excellent - it comes just at the right moment, making the pacing in this song very strong, and the flickers of guitar on the left and right leave yet another mark of originality and recognisability on the song. The bassline is simply but very effective. The transition from the end of this climax to the next bit is also snappy and effective.

The song does begin a tad abruptly. Perhaps if you introduced the song with a quick arpeggio strum thing.

The drumming at many points is perhaps a little boring; in contrast with the artful remainder of the song, I found the drums' part a bit generic. It didn't do much service to the song, and I feel that the song could have existed easily without it. This could be remedied with some added complexity to the drumming, maybe even some fills.

Finally, it might just be me - perhaps others could test this and comment - but after trying it on two separate pairs of headphones, the mix seems to be quite heavily weighted to the left. My left ear feels a bit numbed from the song after listening a few times, while my right ear feels like it's not receiving enough attention.

Overall I like the song a lot. I must agree with Jenn that some more new stuff following the climax might have added a lot, as right now I feel the song still floats as an idea. But great work!

MonoStone    904
12 hours ago, Jenn said:

This is beautiful Dek.. and really different from what you usually do

The only complaint I have is that the snare is a little loud/tight (if that makes sense?) for me 

And maybe the bass is just the tiniest bit too loud

Ah 2:30.. there's your signature break 

I also think it's an appropriate length, though I was expecting something to come after the break... some little phrases. But I know you just wanted advice for the mix

Still, absolutely beautiful 

Thanks Jenn, I didn't think it was different... just me and the usual acoustic...being typically miserable in music ;) I'm glad you like it.

4 hours ago, HoboSage said:

I like the song.  I don't hear anything "wrong" with the mix.  You might reconsider the title.  It's not that original and you're kind of known for original titles, but also, in my opinion, this comes off as a note to someone else.  But of course, that just means you're singing it to yourself . . . but still.  Anyway, I hope you're not actually in the "mood"  expressed by the lyric, and if you are, I hope you succeed in pulling yourself out of it. :)  

Thanks David, the title bothered me already...it was a working title but still... I've changed it not because the new title is better (it's open to change, still a working title) but because the old one sounded too wet and needy or something. It bugged me and I regret using it.

3 hours ago, Sreyashi Mukherjee said:

Rough cuts can be gems. This one surely is :)

I could feel a lot of pain in the song.. It's beautifully emotive. 

Maybe so. Thanks Sreyashi!  I'm glad you think it's a gem.

3 hours ago, lflux said:

Yeah, loving this. So very atmospheric. The pitch bending guitar just adds so much, and the song's overall very much recalls Radiohead, which is a great thing.

The sound is very professional and believable. You included a large amount of reverb, and I think it really works for this song. Sometimes an overabundance of reverb can bog a song down but you clearly know your way around it; the synthesisers especially make the listener feel like they're floating atop a dream. The music definitely creates a little sonic space that your mind can lose itself in.

The climax where things become more upbeat is also quite excellent - it comes just at the right moment, making the pacing in this song very strong, and the flickers of guitar on the left and right leave yet another mark of originality and recognisability on the song. The bassline is simply but very effective. The transition from the end of this climax to the next bit is also snappy and effective.

The song does begin a tad abruptly. Perhaps if you introduced the song with a quick arpeggio strum thing.

The drumming at many points is perhaps a little boring; in contrast with the artful remainder of the song, I found the drums' part a bit generic. It didn't do much service to the song, and I feel that the song could have existed easily without it. This could be remedied with some added complexity to the drumming, maybe even some fills.

Finally, it might just be me - perhaps others could test this and comment - but after trying it on two separate pairs of headphones, the mix seems to be quite heavily weighted to the left. My left ear feels a bit numbed from the song after listening a few times, while my right ear feels like it's not receiving enough attention.

Overall I like the song a lot. I must agree with Jenn that some more new stuff following the climax might have added a lot, as right now I feel the song still floats as an idea. But great work!

Thank you Iflux, I'm glad you like it. The pitch-bend guitar is my best effort with a slide...something I enjoy very much but still not sure I do it right. I really appreciate your detailed review and critique. I know the drums are a bit dull, I just had so little time...I'll look at that...but also I used loops and finding 3/4 loops is hard. I'll see what I can do. Leaning left? I think the slide guitar maybe weights it left.... or do other things seem to lean left to you? I'll listen again and try to edit if it feels off balance. And yeah it needed more after that part, again I just had no time... maybe I'll work more on it.

Thanks again all.

Dek

MonoStone    904

UPDATED - I'd like to finish this one. I'm thinking I'll keep it this length and not add anymore words...  unusual structure maybe but it feels right and I hope leaves listeners wanting, maybe it will lead to another song. It makes me want to do some kind of album with repeating themes, if I have the patience... Any feedback at all will be helpful, but especially the mix/arrangement to get it finished off -

New version -

https://soundcloud.com/monostone-1/anyway/s-TUrX0

Jim622    80

I didn't feel anything was wrong with the mix. Your voice fit the lyrics well and the use of thereverb. Before I read your comments about the song, it kind of gave me a Pink Floyd vibe, so I wasn't surprised when you mentioned tying it to another song or project. Thinking more about it maybe David Gilmour plugging in a solo would give it a slight boost. Really though I like it a lot. I enjoyed listening.

Jenn    246

Perfect.

HoboSage    1,990

I think it sounds great, except for one thing that bugs me.  Maybe my ears are whack right now, but there's a real imbalance of high frequencies left and right to my ears - the higher frequencies sound like they're pretty much all on the right side.

MonoStone    904
11 hours ago, Jim622 said:

I didn't feel anything was wrong with the mix. Your voice fit the lyrics well and the use of thereverb. Before I read your comments about the song, it kind of gave me a Pink Floyd vibe, so I wasn't surprised when you mentioned tying it to another song or project. Thinking more about it maybe David Gilmour plugging in a solo would give it a slight boost. Really though I like it a lot. I enjoyed listening.

Thanks Jim! Good to know that having Dave Gilmour join in would only give a slight boost :):) I won't bother him then.... ;)  I'm very happy you like it.

10 hours ago, Jenn said:

Perfect.

Thanks Jenn... not perfect... I'll get it the best I can.

2 hours ago, HoboSage said:

I think it sounds great, except for one thing that bugs me.  Maybe my ears are whack right now, but there's a real imbalance of high frequencies left and right to my ears - the higher frequencies sound like they're pretty much all on the right side.

Thanks David. Yeah I hear that too... I've tried to address it. Not sure I succeeded... I'd really appreciate your ears on the latest... 

https://soundcloud.com/monostone-1/anyway04/s-VSAoy

Also tried to make the intro less abrupt while I was editing.... and some other small tweaks besides trying to balance frequencies a bit 

HoboSage    1,990

This is weird.  I double-checked my ears previously listening to other stuff, and in comparison, your previous version truly sounded like higher frequencies were missing from the left side.  I just listened to the newest version 4, and it sounds great.  BUT, I also just listened to the previous version, and now it sounds good to me too.  Maybe it was a Soundcloud thing before?  Or, maybe you're messin' with me? :)  I dunno.  Anyway, take your pick, because either mix sounds like a wrap to me now. 

MonoStone    904
Just now, HoboSage said:

This is weird.  I double-checked my ears previously listening to other stuff, and in comparison, your previous version truly sounded like higher frequencies were missing from the left side.  I just listened to the newest version 4, and it sounds great.  BUT, I also just listened to the previous version, and now it sounds good to me too.  Maybe it was a Soundcloud thing before?  Or, maybe you're messin' with me? :)  I dunno.  Anyway, take your pick, because either mix sounds like a wrap to me now. 

Not messing with you... I felt the previous one had more of the higher stuff on the right, and lower stuff more left, which wasn't helped by a centred piano, it's quiet but playing lower notes so they're left leaning PLUS a second piano enters later which I had fractionally left so I made that fractionally right now...also I'd cut more off the high end of the left panned acoustic than the right, so I gave some back to the left..... and flipped a high synth... But.... it was all really subtle, nothing seemed heavily off to me before... I'll just go with the latest since I fixed up the intro.... it's messing with my head now!

Thanks again mate.

Jenn    246

I listened to Anyway04, I think it's the latest version? But it sounds a little more subtle than what I remember from the last version. I wasn't sure it was playing at the beginning and I had to turn up the volume, but it crept up at an appropriate speed. 

Everything sounds good to my ears.. I'd say one of the best mixes you've ever had 

MonoStone    904
3 hours ago, Jenn said:

I listened to Anyway04, I think it's the latest version? But it sounds a little more subtle than what I remember from the last version. I wasn't sure it was playing at the beginning and I had to turn up the volume, but it crept up at an appropriate speed. 

Everything sounds good to my ears.. I'd say one of the best mixes you've ever had 

Yes that was the latest. Thanks Jenn.

Calling it done then.... I've released it into the Soundcloud wilderness... 

• Like 3

MonoStone    904

Just looked at my stats, since I posted on SC earlier this got 13 plays. 4 likes, ZERO comments and yet EIGHT downloads...

So...who are the cheap sods who download without even a like, or a comment of thanks!

Jenn?? ;);) (honestly joking with you Jenn... but seriously...who are the other 7 cheap gits!?)

I'm guessing some people on SC just see 'download' and grab ;) 

Edited by MonoStone

Jenn    246

I didn't comment because I actually don't like you

i just jam out to Saunton Sands in my car

MonoStone    904
1 minute ago, Jenn said:

I didn't comment because I actually don't like you

i just jam out to Saunton Sands in my car

:hang:

• Haha 1

M57    259

LIkin' the puffy kick. I think the mix is fine in general. It's all subjective but the dry snare works for me.  The only thing that bothers me is that I think the bass is a bit too loud at 1:40 and similar sections. Speaking of which, on the arrangement side of things, the same melody, changes, etc at 1:20 1:40, 2:00 and 2:20, get too monotonous for my tastes - and it's exacerbated by the fact that it's a two chord song 90% of the time.  I don't doubt that you're making subtle changes each time, but I'm not really picking up on them.

Solid performances all around, both vocally and instrumentally.

Edited by M57

MonoStone    904
1 hour ago, M57 said:

LIkin' the puffy kick. I think the mix is fine in general. It's all subjective but the dry snare works for me.  The only thing that bothers me is that I think the bass is a bit too loud at 1:40 and similar sections. Speaking of which, on the arrangement side of things, the same melody, changes, etc at 1:20 1:40, 2:00 and 2:20, get too monotonous for my tastes - and it's exacerbated by the fact that it's a two chord song 90% of the time.  I don't doubt that you're making subtle changes each time, but I'm not really picking up on them.

Solid performances all around, both vocally and instrumentally.

Thanks Mark, I had snuck in an updated mix (without saying here) as I felt it was all a bit quiet before...but seems I accidentally boosted some things (like the bass) a touch out of proportion (I suppose because I messed with the compressor output on the 'master'). I've reverted until I can do a volume increase without causing that.. (although you might still think it's too much bass, at least it's the same one everyone else heard now :)  (for the moment)).

It's 3 chords most of the time but yeah I know what you mean. I've thought maybe it was monotonous too... but I also think that if I vary the melody more it will change from what it was meant to be...so it's something I thought about. Maybe in time I'll want to change that, I'm just not sure yet.

Edited by MonoStone

lflux    6

Listened to the latest version, really quite beautiful. I think your voice sounds lovely, haunting even. Definitely improved! Nice work :)

Jambrains    13

Been away for awhile, good to see (or hear rather) that you continue to produce quality stuff. A great mode here, really enjoy the ambience and even though it may border at becoming a bit monotone the slightly hypnotic effect works a treat. Mix sounds fine even though the snare was not really to my taste, not so much the "dryness" of it but rather the "snap", I found it a little to "hard" for the rest of the song. If it is midi drums I'd would consider lowering the velocity to see if that changes the sound for the better. Just a small detail, more or less to be able to give some constructive critizism. ;-)
Oh, and the vocals are just fab!!

MonoStone    904
On 8/4/2017 at 0:22 AM, lflux said:

Listened to the latest version, really quite beautiful. I think your voice sounds lovely, haunting even. Definitely improved! Nice work :)

Thank you Iflux!

38 minutes ago, Jambrains said:

Been away for awhile, good to see (or hear rather) that you continue to produce quality stuff. A great mode here, really enjoy the ambience and even though it may border at becoming a bit monotone the slightly hypnotic effect works a treat. Mix sounds fine even though the snare was not really to my taste, not so much the "dryness" of it but rather the "snap", I found it a little to "hard" for the rest of the song. If it is midi drums I'd would consider lowering the velocity to see if that changes the sound for the better. Just a small detail, more or less to be able to give some constructive critizism. ;-)
Oh, and the vocals are just fab!!

Hi Jambrains, good to see you back. Thanks for the compliments! The drums are real, various real loops and fills stitched together... so tricky to change the snap on the snare (not impossible so I will listen again and consider that, but it'd be a fair bit of work). I have limited options for beats in this time signature... just not enough of them available! But I felt like the real drums sounded better than any I'd 'program'. 

Oswlek    87

Lovely.  The only thing that bugs me even trivially is the disparity in snare volume.  I like the idea of having one more prominent than the next and the overarching cycle it creates, but the louder one is too loud, IMO.  Otherwise, I'm on board. :)

snabbu    439

I wouldn't have thought it possible to really like a snare sound. But that's what struck me with this. 

The song  has a beautiful overall sound to it. So open in the mix. 

Cheers

Gary

MonoStone    904
On 10 August 2017 at 7:50 PM, Oswlek said:

Lovely.  The only thing that bugs me even trivially is the disparity in snare volume.  I like the idea of having one more prominent than the next and the overarching cycle it creates, but the louder one is too loud, IMO.  Otherwise, I'm on board. :)

Thanks Justin! I could turn the louder one down a touch... it's not really bothered me but I will revisit after I listen again if it seems too much. Glad you like the song!

On 11 August 2017 at 11:46 PM, snabbu said:

I wouldn't have thought it possible to really like a snare sound. But that's what struck me with this. 

The song  has a beautiful overall sound to it. So open in the mix. 

Cheers

Gary

Thanks Gary, I'm very glad you like it!

Great song, and great build in the middle. Really beautiful. I'm sorry I don't have any criticism, but I really like this one. 

MonoStone    904
1 hour ago, emilyandersonmusic said:

Great song, and great build in the middle. Really beautiful. I'm sorry I don't have any criticism, but I really like this one. 

That's ok Emily, it's always best when people like them with no complaints isn't it :) I'm very happy you like it! Thank you.

CapM    70

I think it sounds great!

This may sound silly, but there's one phrase that kind of threw me off a bit from the mood:  "in fact."  That phrase sounds so sterile and clinical.  You'd never tell someone "I've heard that you're not doing too well these day.  They're saying you're fading and sinking in fact.  I know you were just looking for a phrase to rhyme with black, but I didn't think that worked.

Other than that, great tune!  [smiley=thumb.gif]

CapM    70

P.S.  I was thinking more about your V1.  Are you a finance/accounting guy?  The "get back in the black" means something to finance geeks, but does it hold the same meaning to everyone? I dunno.  Back from the black might hold better meaning.  Or, you can just say something like making your way back, but then use the word black as your rhyme in the aforementioned second line.  Just some food for thought.  Just my two cents, probably not worth a nickel.