Your Ad Could Be Here

Need Help With Mixing!

So I'm near completion with one of my tracks and I'm finalizing mixing before I start mastering. I always do a series of tests to see how well I mixed my track. I start off by critically analyzing my speakers connected to my PC. I then put on a pair of headphones and analyze. I then put the track onto my iPhone and listen through the built in speaker, then with earbuds, then with headphones. Lastly, I go into my car and test. But before I even finished the iPhone built in speaker test I noticed that the bass (808 in my case, not a bass guitar) was quite low almost to the point where I couldn't hear it. I could make out some of the sounds but not really. The mix was perfect for every other test. Could it just be that the iPhone has a low quality speaker? Or how should I fix this? I don't want to mess up the mix for all the other devices.

The low end is non existent in a cell phone . A few things that can help to get it the best it can be are  listening to the master on a dedicated mastering mono speaker. Those speakers are designed to mix in the detail spectrum or mainly the mids. This is the range most cell phones play in. 100-20,000

Mastering engineers use something like one of THESE. They use only one speaker. Behringer makes a less expensive version.

Most home studio mixers won't have anything like that. A second choice would be to set up a project with the master bus in mono and low pass it below 100hz. To get the false perception of bass on a cell phone, take the attack of the bass and put it up higher using EQ. If you can hear the "bump" in the cell phone frequency range then you can at least get the perception of bass.

This shouldn't affect listening on other systems if the EQ adjustment is minor.

Archived