Your Ad Could Be Here

I do not have any of these programs.  I DO have the not-beginner-friendly (free) audacity.  

What I would be interested to know is

1). What instrument sounds are available with each that comes with the purchase?

2) Do loops come with the purchase?

3) Can you change pitch within what comes with the purchase?

4) Can you import more?

a.) If you can, is it only the ones that are compatible with your program?

b.) Where do you find them?

c.) What might you expect to pay for them?

d.). Is it per item or a package deal?

5). Anything else that might be helpful to know for someone who has not yet experimented with one of these programs (or similar programs not in the tags)?

A mac user then, or are you on iPad?

what comes with depends largely on what level you get. Some have free sound sets, others you have to buy. Same with plug ins.

what sort of budget? Sub $100?

GarageBand is a good starting place, whether on the Mac or iPad. It is free, but will cost for extras, although it is still inexpensive. It comes with loops, but has built in drummers and has numerous other synths/instruments as well. You can use other virtual synths etc on the Mac version and if it's the iPad, it can link to other music apps through inter-connectivity.

I have an iPod iOS 6 and I use windows 7 on my computer.  No mac. No iPad.   However, hoping once the work season (for me) starts back up, I can set aside "something" to purchase "something".  Not sure if it will be a program or a refurbished or used mac.,or by chance some really good deal,  so trying to look into the options beforehand. I need something not too complicated.  I'm not very techhy.

1 hour ago, Richard Tracey said:

GarageBand is a good starting place, whether on the Mac or iPad. It is free, but will cost for extras, although it is still inexpensive. It comes with loops, but has built in drummers and has numerous other synths/instruments as well. You can use other virtual synths etc on the Mac version and if it's the iPad, it can link to other music apps through inter-connectivity.

I had a brief moment/taste of GarageBand on someone else's computer--not nearly enough time to explore and was years ago, but seemed user friendly and had appeal to me, but then, aside from audacity, really haven't tried any others.

2 hours ago, john said:

A mac user then, or are you on iPad?

what comes with depends largely on what level you get. Some have free sound sets, others you have to buy. Same with plug ins.

what sort of budget? Sub $100?

I could swing that probably once work starts up for me again.

Edited by Pahchisme Plaid

4 hours ago, Pahchisme Plaid said:

I had a brief moment/taste of GarageBand on someone else's computer--not nearly enough time to explore and was years ago, but seemed user friendly and had appeal to me, but then, aside from audacity, really haven't tried any others.

I use GarageBand on an iPad mini - it's pretty easy to use, comes free (I guess you could keep costs down by buying a used device) and has a LOAD of functionality I'm still getting to grips with. I find it good to record my stuff, but then I know I ain't ever gonna set the world on fire so it will do. You will defo get more functionality with an IMac, but as I say, it works for me at the mo. I am just about to get an iRig and a decent(ish) mic which will also let me record directly in using my acoustic (and hopefully make me sound better). 

OK, maybe the mic won't be that good! Lol but then GB also has auto tune lol.

Hope that helps. On my SoundCloud there are a couple of covers done using GarageBand so it will give you an idea what can be done or look on YouTube cos there are some people on there that really use it well. 😀

All that said, if you already have a PC then I guess others on here can point you to something like GB for that platform which will probs be a lot less than a used iPad or iMac...

Edited by Dazzyt66
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a program that is a bit better than Garageband and it works on PC. Comes with a bunch of loops and "instruments". To play the instruments you need a midi keyboard. You can probably use your computer keyboard in a pinch.  Looks like it's priced at 49.00. http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/SONAR-Home-Studio

In order to tune pitch you'll need something like Melodyne. I don't believe any of the kinds of programs you want include that. You can buy additional loops, both REX and acid. There are free ones online and others for sale.

Will likely run on a win 7 computer but Cake doesn't support that OS. I would include upgrading to win 10 to be safe. You can do that online through windows.

I

• Like 1

We didn't use the option to upgrade from 7-10 when the option was available because lots of people we knew who did ended up having to take their computer in to the comp doc because it messed their computers up.  We have a pretty old computer, too.  $49 seems reasonable.  Melodyne... something to add later?  I'm not really looking to be an all-on mixer.  I simply like the idea of creating sounds.  My guitar skills aren't so up to snuff and it would be cool to be able to have music to sing to.  Aside from that, I have a kiddo quite interested in creating sounds.  He does on the keyboard and I'd like to encourage his interest.  He's quite musical and he's a whip with what he's learned of music theory from school--he's had about six piano lessons over the summer and was doing so well!  I get to stay and watch while he gets his lesson and he absorbs the info like crazy--things make sense to him.  He has a great teacher, too! It tickles me to watch him learn!  Sorry.  I could go on, but I'm getting off track. So basically it's partially for him, too.

Easy to hook up a midi equipped keyboard. Opens up a whole new world to a kid learning music. 

The software will probably work on win 7 but they don't support it on that OS. It's a scary thing to update an OS. FWIW you can save important things to files and put them somewhere. If the computer is really old, might be time to upgrade? 

Unfortunately, moving to the most recent OS is one of those things software makers need to fall in step with or they get left behind.

• Like 1

Well, @starise, I can't complain.  I mostly purchased the iOS because I wanted a camera that I wouldn't mind carrying around in my pocket.  Then I discovered the calendar, weather app, sound recorder, notes section--cake icing.  Then my daughter set me up with other apps, so needless to say, I purchased the most versatile camera!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jenn said:

all my songs are done purely with garageband...no midi nothing.

except i did just recently buy a new mic

after having garageband for the past ~2 years, I'm starting to consider upgrading to something a little more professional per se... i.e. Logic

I've just started using Reaper, you get a 60 day trial and then it's £60ish for a licence. I was using GarageBand but this is a whole new level - and I think it's really good. @Pahchisme Plaid - you will need to upgrade but this might be a good option 👍

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Dazzyt66 said:

I've just started using Reaper, you get a 60 day trial and then it's £60ish for a licence. I was using GarageBand but this is a whole new level - and I think it's really good. @Pahchisme Plaid - you will need to upgrade but this might be a good option 👍

As I've only always used Garageband, can you give me a few examples of what Reaper does that Garageband couldn't. I don't mind switching one day if it will be worth it.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jenn said:

I downloaded it too.. and I don't think it has instruments already installed into it? I don't know the correct term for them... but like, how Garageband you can choose a tuba and input notes via your computer keyboard..

I don't know/couldn't figure out how/if Reaper does it

Also.. Reaper is completely free, from what I've read/heard. It's suggested that you buy it after the trial .. something like that

15 minutes ago, Just1L said:

As I've only always used Garageband, can you give me a few examples of what Reaper does that Garageband couldn't. I don't mind switching one day if it will be worth it.

@Jenn - ha ha yeah, 'suggested' - I think I will defo get a licence though cos it seems to p all over GarageBand, although it is of a bit steep learning curve. All kinds of add-ons (vst') can be added (including instruments) - there are LOADS free. I'm sure the guys here can give you all loads more info but if it can make me sound like Frank Sinatra (alright, maybe not) it can't be that bad... lol

@Just1L - see above, mate, seriously, it's awesome. Although it may take me 20 years to work it all out but you can do SO much! Even just straight recording has 'takes' so if you mess up just a word you can go back into the track, re-record (over and over if needed) until you get the right feel and then boom! Done. It just doesn't compare, GarageBand is a bit like a kids toy next to it. Although I do do stuff in GB now and then move it to reaper to take it further. We may be moving off topic! Search the forum for Reaper - that's how I went to it.

@Pahchisme Plaid - I'll post something up soon what I've done in Reaper so you get an idea what it can do.

Edited by Dazzyt66
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Dazzyt66 said:

@Just1L - see above, mate, seriously, it's awesome. Although it may take me 20 years to work it all out but you can do SO much! Even just straight recording has 'takes' so if you mess up just a word you can go back into the track, re-record (over and over if needed) until you get the right feel and then boom! Done. It just doesn't compare, GarageBand is a bit like a kids toy next to it. Although I do do stuff in GB now and then move it to reaper to take it further. We may be moving off topic! Search the forum for Reaper - that's how I went to it.

Thanks Dazzy. The thing for me is, same as the "takes" feature, I've yet to really hear something other programs can do that garageband can't. Because it does do "takes" as you describe. Other than more plug-ins, which I'm not interested in, I don't think switching to another DAW would really help me much as I still feel it's me personally, my mixing (not to mention instruments, the room itself, etc…), that needs to still improve, regardless of the DAW. Because all the features people use are right there for me to use, I just need to use them better. Still, maybe one day. I really don't have enough time as it is. Trying to learn a new DAW at this point would only hinder my progress with very little to show for it in the end

I appreciate the comment and will head over to the Reaper section.

Gracias - Randy

• Like 2

Reaper is a great program. I wouldn't recommend it to someone who isn't inclined toward music tech. It might take awhile to grok for someone like that. It doesn't include anything to adjust pitch either......sorry, going back to the original post. In my opinion, there are programs in the same league as Reaper that are much easier to use. To me, ease of use is very important. It saves time. If you "get it" though it can do pretty much anything the others can do.

Garageband is a great program to get you started . Great songs have been made in it. The only thing is you need a Mac. It has limitations that might not be noticed by anyone just using the basics. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, starise said:

Reaper is a great program. I wouldn't recommend it to someone who isn't inclined toward music tech. It might take awhile to grok for someone like that. It doesn't include anything to adjust pitch either......sorry, going back to the original post. In my opinion, there are programs in the same league as Reaper that are much easier to use. To me, ease of use is very important. It saves time. If you "get it" though it can do pretty much anything the others can do.

Garageband is a great program to get you started . Great songs have been made in it. The only thing is you need a Mac. It has limitations that might not be noticed by anyone just using the basics. 

Agree 100% 🙂 - although it can adjust pitch... (ReaPitch).... I think....

Edited by Dazzyt66

6 minutes ago, Just1L said:

Thanks Dazzy. The thing for me is, same as the "takes" feature, I've yet to really hear something other programs can do that garageband can't. Because it does do "takes" as you describe. Other than more plug-ins, which I'm not interested in, I don't think switching to another DAW would really help me much as I still feel it's me personally, my mixing (not to mention instruments, the room itself, etc…), that needs to still improve, regardless of the DAW. Because all the features people use are right there for me to use, I just need to use them better. Still, maybe one day. I really don't have enough time as it is. Trying to learn a new DAW at this point would only hinder my progress with very little to show for it in the end

I appreciate the comment and will head over to the Reaper section.

Gracias - Randy

I should've said I use GB on iPad so it may not be s fair comment/comparison....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, starise said:

AND those limitations are what I'm interested in knowing. Personally I feel Garageband gets a bad rap because it's so easy to use, anyone can use it. Not to mention it's on a Mac. I was PC before Mac and really did like the PC back in the day. 

Garageband's added so many features over the years but honestly I don't know if they've always been there and I just wasn't "ready" to use them so I never looked. But now whenever I look for anything I end up finding it. Pitch correction also. I don't use it but I might one day. I have to read up on what the controls actually mean before I use it because whenever I play with it I sound like a squirrel. :)

I will also add that I do feel I'm still a noob when it comes to mixing so I may very well fall into the "just getting started" category. But so far, any time someone has mentioned using something (i.e. peak limiter, comp, eq, etc…) I've found it. And the ease of use is a necessity for me, especially at this learning stage, because I rarely have time to work on music and when I do have time I want to "get to it."

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dazzyt66 said:

I should've said I use GB on iPad so it may not be s fair comment/comparison....

Hmmm. That could be. I've never looked into whether iPad versions are more stripped down than the actual desktop version. 

• Like 1