Richard Tracey

Something To Explain (very early work in progress)

Richard Tracey    289

Hi all - in between tweaking the website, I started mucking about with a simple drum pattern and this is what came from it. It went in a direction I didn't expect. It is the same part looped once to extend it. Now, I don't know if I want to keep it stripped back and minimal and was looking for some input.

Before you get too technical about the meaning of the lyrics, I must say that I am not religious in any way shape or form, but I would rather leave the lyrics up to the individual listener's interpretation.

https://soundcloud.com/moodman-1/something-to-explain-08082017-2307/s-Xhqvs

Something To Explain (music and lyrics by Richard Tracey)

Do you believe in something

More powerful

Than you'll ever know

Do you feel forces pulling your life

In directions

You don't want to go

There must be something to explain

Everything

That's going on.

Tahva13    7

This sounds awesome, I love the lyrics they're simple but the idea and emotion they convey is good. Your voice and style in this song remind me a lot of Alphaville, sort of that slow thoughtful lyrics over piano drums and some pads. This track has a lot of potential, I think you could really expand on this musically and make it something pretty wonderful and phantasmic but that all depends on your style. In my opinion the backgrounds a little thin but if you're going for a minimalist sound then I would stick with it, if not then I would add one or two more things, maybe another pad and some bass.

I'm a big fan of the wall of sound technique and I think that would work great here.

• Like 1

Richard Tracey    289
3 minutes ago, Tahva13 said:

This sounds awesome, I love the lyrics they're simple but the idea and emotion they convey is good. Your voice and style in this song remind me a lot of Alphaville, sort of that slow thoughtful lyrics over piano drums and some pads. This track has a lot of potential, I think you could really expand on this musically and make it something pretty wonderful and phantasmic but that all depends on your style. In my opinion the backgrounds a little thin but if you're going for a minimalist sound then I would stick with it, if not then I would add one or two more things, maybe another pad and some bass.

I'm a big fan of the wall of sound technique and I think that would work great here.

Thanks Caleb. The lyrics were ad-libbed and this is what came out. I still don't know whether I want this to be full on, or stripped back and minimal. A lot of songs have everything and the kitchen sink, but I feel this might benefit by being pared back and let the vocal take over.

And I wish I could sound like Alphaville, Marian Gold has an amazing voice.

• Like 1

Tahva13    7

Lyrically and Stylistically you sound a lot like him, really enjoyed listening to this track and checking out your other stuff now.

• Like 1

MonoStone    917

Sounds like a good start, nice vibe to it... for the part you've done so far I don't think it needs more in the arrangement...but I think you'll need to bring more sounds in as the song goes on from here. Maybe it will remain fairly stripped back still, maybe you only need to add small things to the arrangement as the song continues from here, but it will need to change or develop in some way.... it feels like it needs to go into a chorus next.

Careful though... you could end up adding another 'idea' to your collection. If you can finish this then I think it could be really good...but again, what you do next is what will make or break it. It's very nice so far.

• Like 2

Tahva13    7
37 minutes ago, MonoStone said:

Sounds like a good start, nice vibe to it... for the part you've done so far I don't think it needs more in the arrangement...but I think you'll need to bring more sounds in as the song goes on from here. Maybe it will remain fairly stripped back still, maybe you only need to add small things to the arrangement as the song continues from here, but it will need to change or develop in some way.... it feels like it needs to go into a chorus next.

Careful though... you could end up adding another 'idea' to your collection. If you can finish this then I think it could be really good...but again, what you do next is what will make or break it. It's very nice so far.

I agree with Monostone, the track is nice but I feel like I could really use just a little something more maybe a little bit of pads or bass used to Accentuate your voice not to drown it out, something to sort of pair with it maybe harmonize with it.

• Like 1

Jenn    259

I think you should take this and then go on another 2 and a half minutes with a huge instrumental break and then screaming chorus

oh wait that's how I think every song should be

• Like 1

Richard Tracey    289
6 hours ago, MonoStone said:

Cheers Dek- listening for a while last night, I had a couple of ideas for the arrangement, so will give them a try, hopefully they won't distract from how I feel this track should sound. I can't see there being much change to the drums, as this drives the track.

As for another idea to the collection, I don't think I will be able to stop that. I quite liked how Charon sounded after I went back to it and if I can get the vocal right, it might give me the kick I need to go back and finish the others.

Richard Tracey    289
6 hours ago, Tahva13 said:

I agree with Monostone, the track is nice but I feel like I could really use just a little something more maybe a little bit of pads or bass used to Accentuate your voice not to drown it out, something to sort of pair with it maybe harmonize with it.

Cheers Caleb- I have a couple of ideas now after letting this one sink in, including a little harmonising.

Richard Tracey    289
3 hours ago, Jenn said:

I think you should take this and then go on another 2 and a half minutes with a huge instrumental break and then screaming chorus

oh wait that's how I think every song should be

Cheers Jenn - another 2 and a half minutes!!! And a huge instrumental break and a screaming chorus.... not asking for much;)

I don't know if this track will go that way, but you can never tell where it will go. I didn't expect it to go here when I created that simple drum pattern.

• Like 1

ImKeN    274

Sounds like a good start, Richard. I'm sure the music/arrangement will slowly unfold as you continue to write out the rest of the song.

Here's a video on workflow to get you completing your songs and making many more: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVQ8c19unnM

All the best with it,

Ken

• Like 1

Richard Tracey    289
On 09/08/2017 at 11:20 PM, ImKeN said:

Sounds like a good start, Richard. I'm sure the music/arrangement will slowly unfold as you continue to write out the rest of the song.

Here's a video on workflow to get you completing your songs and making many more: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVQ8c19unnM

All the best with it,

Ken

Cheers Ken. I haven't managed to get back to this, but do intend to finish it.

I'll have a look at the video.