Oswlek

Unbury Yourself - mix feedback

Oswlek    89

Hello all, sorry I've been so absent.  I'm still dealing with the same personal issue that my prior post was about, with regrettably no end in sight.  

Anyway, UY has long been one of my favorite originals - perhaps even the favorite - but I couldn't bear listening to it because of several mixing mistakes.  Most notable is the bizarre decision to have the lead vocal gradually slide more to the left as the song went on.  No idea what the hell I was thinking.  I also mixed this back before I understood buffer settings, so to keep my computer from freezing I kept bouncing things down to layer on top of.  This means that fixing things perfectly would require unwinding and rewinding an unwieldy thread.  It's just too much work to fix everything, unfortunately.

I won't bore anyone with the details of all the workarounds I did to "remix" a master (though I'd be happy to elaborate if asked), but I'm hoping to get a couple ears on this to see if something that can be fixed still needs fixing.  

Thanks! :)

How long
You've been taking the blame
Replaying the sequence
Reliving the shame

One slip of the wheel
Left you shattered and stunned
Your distant voice wailing
"What have I done?"

(Dig free, dig free)... You buried yourself
(Dig free, dig free)... When they buried me
(Dig free, dig free)... Unbury yourself
(Dig free, dig free)... It's time to dig free

We were just kids
Reckless and dumb
Nobody's angry any more
There's nothing to hide from

So how long
Must this debt be paid
One life is gone
One can be saved

(Dig free, dig free)... You buried yourself
(Dig free, dig free)... When they buried me
(Dig free, dig free)... Unbury yourself
(Dig free, dig free)... It's time to dig free

• Like 3

Just1L    961

I like this tune. One noticeable thing for me is that the  (Dig free, Dig free) parts are somewhat indecipherable. Would really like to be able to hear what they are saying. Whether it's panning or volume I think they need to be more understandable. I also dig the semi-Beatles vibe in parts on this. Nice one.

Edited by Just1L

MonoStone    917

Gorgeous song and performance. Maybe there are some bits that don't sound perfect...occasionally I felt like the general sound quality wasn't so good, like some slight noise or nearly-distortion or something I couldn't put my finger on...sometimes...but on the whole it sounded great, nothing to stress over.

I agree the 'dig free' is hard to make out without the written words, just because you shorten each word so much the way you quickly sing them.

I was confused by your OP...I'm not sure what you're able to change in the mix or rerecord or whatever now. And I think I must have missed a previous post but I hope you're well.

It's a beautiful song.

Oswlek    89

Thanks guys.

@Just1L - Much appreciated.  The Beatles are an enormous influence on me, but I'm curious where you see that in this tune.  I'll definitely look into clarifying the "dig free" parts.

@MonoStone

29 minutes ago, MonoStone said:

I'm not sure what you're able to change in the mix or rerecord or whatever now.

Essentially, I have a prior "final" mix that I can only modify via EQ and compression, plus the ability to import some of the tracks used to create that final.  So, I could "turn up" the synth by importing that track into the new project, but I can't change the gain/FX/eq of the track within the prior mix.  

Regarding the "dig free" bits, I've imported clean and distorted electric guitar tracks in the new project, so that is probably what buries the bvox a bit.  I'll see if an import of those vox (with a notch at 2,000 to make sure it stays sufficiently in the background) can make them a bit more present.

Let me know if you figure out what the other issue is.  Thanks.

MonoStone    917
Just now, Oswlek said:

Regarding the "dig free" bits, I've imported clean and distorted electric guitar tracks in the new project, so that is probably what buries the bvox a bit.  I'll see if an import of those vox (with a notch at 2,000 to make sure it stays sufficiently in the background) can make them a bit more present.

I had no problem hearing that Dig Free vocal... it seemed very prominent to me. My issue was only that even though I hear you clearly, you sing those words so fast/short that it's hard to tell what you're saying, mainly on 'dig'...i.e it's like 'Di fre' . Maybe the change you suggest will help, I just thought it was down to how fast/short you sing the words.... but it doesn't spoil the song for me... I just wonder what I'd think you were saying if I didn't have the benefit of the written words.

ImKeN    274

Beautiful song and mix(remix), @Oswlek. I had no problem with the "dig free" lines - musically, they sounded perfect to me.

@4:17 - Is that mouth noise? I thought it was a little distracting.

Great song, nonetheless!

Ken

snabbu    439

This sounds great. There is lots of contrast between the parts and variation in the arrangement.

There is one dissonant note in the verse melody which I am not sure about.

I say not sure because when I first heard it I thought it was a bum note then the second time it was like a note not of the scale.

And it was just a surprise. So I listened again and i think it was just that I was n't expecting that note maybe.

Its on "Nothing to hide from" in verse two. It's very unsettled, but it sounds deliberate.

I like this a lot.

And I know I'm supposed to be commenting on the mix but I'm a bit challenged in that department myself.

Cheers

Gary

HoboSage    1,997

I really like the song. I don't like how it sounds in headphones though,  For me, it doesn't sound balanced because of the unbalanced way you pan things [ Huh? It doesn't matter.   ;) ]  But, that's just me.

Edited by HoboSage

Jenn    259
On 8/11/2017 at 7:25 PM, HoboSage said:

I really like the song. I don't like how it sounds in headphones though,  For me, it doesn't sound balanced because of the unbalanced way you pan things [ Huh? It doesn't matter.   ;) ]  But, that's just me.

I agree it doesn't sound balanced to me.. almost like the guitar is directly to the left of me and you're singing from behind him and then some other people are a little farther back on the right singing your backing vocals to you! A little strange

I think "Dig free" sounds fine

Oh I love 2:00- well the end actually.. 

Yeah I think all you have to do is center the vocals or even to the right just the slightest bit to counteract the guitar (I'm listening in headphones)

Beautiful song, truly. 

Edited by Jenn

symphonious7    206

Didn't listen in headphones so I can't comment on that, but oh my gosh I just love this song.  I hear nothing wrong with the mix really, and the song just... I love it from start to finish.  The vocal performance really gives me goosebumps!  The lyrics are very coherent and powerful.  I'm a fan of this, great song.  

M57    263

There seems to be too much energy in the 100-200Hz range when the full rhythm section comes in. It may be conflict between the bass drum (it almost sounds like a floor tom) and the bass.  I would start with the drum and try to filter out some mud.

Oswlek    89

Thanks guys.  I'm going to pivot off of a few comments to provide a general overview.

On 8/11/2017 at 7:25 PM, HoboSage said:

For me, it doesn't sound balanced because of the unbalanced way you pan things

This is the primary issue I am trying to resolve.  Trust me, it was much worse in its original form.  The problem is that, due to me earlier screw ups and how they've boxed me in, I'm really limited in what I can do in a reasonable amount of time.  Rather than just punching in and sliding the pan, to fix the earlier left slant I had to export the left channel, reimport the file as mono and pan all the way to the right, and then blend since the problem gradually got worse as the song went on.  To then combat the now empty sharp left channel, I imported some individual tracks to fill out that space (among other things).  As ridiculous as this sounds, it is significantly less work than it would have done to root the problem out at the source.  I'm unconvinced that I can do much better than this, unfortunately.  

Oh, and this is another one:

4 hours ago, M57 said:

There seems to be too much energy in the 100-200Hz

Once again, the original mix was much, much worse.  No clarity at all, just pounding.  To address this, I fired up a multi-band comp, bypassed all but this range and made sure nothing triggered it until the bass/kick came in.  It is way better than before, but I'll see if I can touch it up some more.  I can't do it in the way you've described, but I can set the compressor to be a littler stronger and import bass/kick files to supplement.

Hopefully this makes it clearer what I'm dealing with. :)

@MonoStone - Thanks again, Dek.  I tried a few things (importing a raw "DF" file and turning up the current one) and didn't like either.  I think I'm going to have to live with this one.  

@ImKeN - You are much too kind, Ken.  If you hear what I hear, it is finger sliding on a string, which is one of the things that is permanent, unfortunately.  As is the even more annoying chair sounds right before the vocals come in.  

@snabbu - Much appreciated.  Is the note the final one ("from")?  The melody there extends longer than other lines which causes it to land on a different note, so that might be part of the problem.  I'm pretty sure I reviewed the pitch to make sure I sang the right note and was within an acceptable intonation range, but it's possible I made a mistake.

@HoboSage - Thanks for you candor Dave.  Hopefully you better understand where I'm coming from.  If there is anything that could be fixed purely be importing a file, please let me know.  

@Jenn - Thanks, Jenn.  I'll give the mix one more once over.  The vocals were far off to the left earlier and I thought I had centered them.  But it may just be my ears being so blown away at the difference. :)

Dave, is it the vocals that sit wrong for you as well?

@symphonious7 - Wow, thanks!  I love this song too, so it's nice to hear it works for someone else.  B)

@M57 - Thanks, Mark.  See above for a detailed response to your suggestion.  

snabbu    439

Yes that is the note and it just sounds dissonant rather than a bum note.

Cheers

Gary

CapM    73

I know you only asked for mix comments, but I have something else to comment on - singing.  I have really bad allergies (when I had lab tests done, I was allergic to all 50 things they tested for!).  So consequently I'm not the smoothest breather in the world.  But about 5 years ago I did a duet with Desertrose and she noticed that in my vocal track, instead of long, smooth breaths, I took short, quick ones right before each line.  That was an eye opener because I had never really noticed it (though it was an early song).

You do the exact same thing I was doing (to a certain extent I still catch myself doing it).  It is very distracting in the mix.  I know that it's perfectly okay to not edit out breaths, but in your case, even when there's a long pause, you still wait until the last second to take a short, shallow breath.  I would delete those out when you can and whenever you have a long break between lines, fill your lungs with a deep breath, not a quick shallow one.  I think you'll like the results in your vocal.  I'm pretty sure this isn't just a personal preference, and that a singing coach would recommend this.  But I'm not a singing coach, so take what I say with a grain pound of salt!  

Mix sounded pretty good on my end!  The first half was a little unconventional with the acoustic, but I liked it.  I really liked it when the full band kicked in.  Kudos!  :rockin:

• Like 1

symphonious7    206

I freaking like this guy!!!  ^^^