Jenn

The Making of an EP

Jenn    257

So as you may know, I am in the process of making an EP.... and I just thought I would let you all know what's going on..

I've decided to go under the name "The Crystal Hours" .... for lots of reasons but yeah

So here will be my soundcloud page: 

And this will be the EP cover 

598e9b0adc06b_ScreenShot2017-08-12at1_50_26AM.thumb.png.2e81a911460840110fdfdca3190fb0b4.png

I'm super excited ahha

Edited by Jenn
  • Like 1

HoboSage    1,997

So, does this means your pseudonym is Crystal Hours and not Crystal Hands?

Jenn    257
2 hours ago, HoboSage said:

So, does this means your pseudonym is Crystal Hours and not Crystal Hands?

Yes... crystal hands was a little... too easy to sexualize 

Edited by Jenn

Jenn    257

If anyone is still interested... I've decided the layout of the booklet... not the order of the songs yet/if I'll add another song

But the main EP consists of Something To Hold On To, Mr. Fox, Appropriate, I'll Be There, and Hidden Nightmares with Some Lost, Some Captured and Take Cover as just bonus tracks ... I guess

I am going to have an image that correlates to the song in my own way.. (these are all photos I've taken and edited myself, except Take Cover which was taken by a friend)

And then on the other side, I will have my favorite lyric from the song in my own handwriting on a black piece of paper with white pen

So here are the images and lyrics..

Take Cover.png

If you are in the path of this storm, now is the time to take cover

Something To Hold On To.png

Then the world stops and everything in it drops away

Fades away till it's just us in our way

(I want to give you the world, what's left and what has stayed

But it stays in my head with words I can't say--possibly)

Mr. Fox.png

He stared me in the eye

And said it's better

Not to have a plan 

Appropriate.png

Where did they go?

I don't know

I'm falling down again

I'll Be There.png

I miss the oceans

I miss the skies

Beautiful times that aren’t mine

Hidden Nightmares.png

Stepping over makeshift shadows on the ground

Can’t hurt their feelings but they’ll hurt ours

Sending off those hidden nightmares into sound

Can’t hurt their feelings but they’ll hurt ours---I love all the lyrics in this song haha woops

Some Lost Some Captured.png

But oh, I’m gonna try

Oh, I’m gonna try

Edited by Jenn

Jenn    257

I need to write more songs so I can make more CD booklets... this is so fun

Credits.png

I will probably make a facebook and instagram from "The Crystal Hours" and put the link there as well

Thank You.png

I am going to draw a crystal ball in the space above the text and sign under "Until then .." 

Back Cover.png

And I'm pretty sure this is the order of the tracks :)! 

Screen Shot 2017-08-13 at 10.45.28 PM.png

Edited by Jenn

HoboSage    1,997
On 8/12/2017 at 2:08 AM, Jenn said:

I've decided to go under the name "The Crystal Hours" .... for lots of reasons but yeah

No, you really haven't Jenn.  Your real name of Jennifer Doll is all over your planned EP.    You obviously want to use your real name and have others know who you are by your given name.  So, why the pseudonym?  I mean, if you had a last name no one could pronounce at first blush, like my last name, I could understand wanting to use a pseudonym.. But, c'mon, Doll? :)  Moreover, your supposed pseudonym of "Crystal Hours" looks like it's the EP"s title - and frankly, I think that's for the best.  Don't trap yourself with some pseudonym that you don't need and that you'll likely later regret when you outgrow it  - ask John "Cougar" Mellencamp about that dynamic.  I think you're making a mistake with the whole pseudonym thing, I really do.  "Crystal Hours" is a very cool EP concept and title.  "Jennifer Doll" is a very cool you.  

Just my opinion.

P.S.  You should have copyright notices for your EP cover work, lyrics and photos.

Edited by HoboSage

Jenn    257
2 minutes ago, HoboSage said:

No, you really haven't Jenn.  Your real name of Jennifer Doll is all over your planned EP.    You obviously want to use your real name and have others know who you are by your given name.  So, why the pseudonym?  I mean, if you had a last name no one could pronounce at first blush, like my last name, I could understand wanting to use a pseudonym.. But, c'mon, Doll? :)  Moreover, your supposed pseudonym of "Crystal Hours" looks like it's the EP"s title - and frankly, I think that's for the best.  Don't trap yourself with some pseudonym that you don't need and that you'll likely later regret when you outgrow it  - ask John "Cougar" Mellencamp about that dynamic.  I think you're making a mistake with the whole pseudonym thing, I really do.  "Crystal Hours" is a very cool EP concept and title.  "Jennifer Doll" is a very cool you.  

Just my opinion.

well shit now I am reconsidering everything :)

Jenn    257
3 minutes ago, Jenn said:

well shit now I am reconsidering everything :)

Now I am changing everything :) 

MonoStone    915

I agree with David, I thought it was 'Crystal Hours' by Jennifer Doll ... although maybe you'd changed it before I saw.

And I agree, Jennifer Doll is a fine name for a music artist. Mine isn't... Hence Mono Stone ;)  

That said... THE Crystal Hours makes it sound like a band, or less clear that it's one person anyway... and I like quite a few artists who've gone that route. 

Edited by MonoStone

Jenn    257
4 minutes ago, MonoStone said:

I agree with David, I thought it was 'Crystal Hours' by Jennifer Doll ... although maybe you'd changed it before I saw.

And I agree, Jennifer Doll is a fine name for a music artist. Mine isn't... Hence Mono Stone ;)  

That said... THE Crystal Hours makes it sound like a band, or less clear that it's one person anyway... and I like quite a few artists who've gone that route. 

I think I'll keep it as "The Crystal Hours"

Songstuff is my band :D! hahaha

but I like the emphasis on THE because it makes THOSE hours specific... yeah idk haha if anyone ever interviews me I'll give a whole explanation haha

Jennifer Doll mEHHhhHEHHHhhhhh hideous haha but it's nothing less than authentic!

MonoStone    915
1 minute ago, Jenn said:

I think I'll keep it as "The Crystal Hours"

Songstuff is my band :D! hahaha

but I like the emphasis on THE because it makes THOSE hours specific... yeah idk haha if anyone ever interviews me I'll give a whole explanation haha

Jennifer Doll mEHHhhHEHHHhhhhh hideous haha but it's nothing less than authentic!

Shout Tim... he likes to interview artists.

Jenn    257
Just now, MonoStone said:

Shout Tim... he likes to interview artists.

hahahah let me release this first!

MonoStone    915

It just all has to match... so you'll need a new Soundcloud account as The Crystal Hours... and any other web presence matching too.

Richard Tracey    289

You could go with J-Doll, which would very hip and yoof... or just DOLL. I agree that The Crystal Hours sounds like an album/EP title.

Jenn    257
1 minute ago, Richard Tracey said:

You could go with J-Doll, which would very hip and yoof... or just DOLL. I agree that The Crystal Hours sounds like an album/EP title.

"yoof"...........?

Richard Tracey    289
Just now, Jenn said:

"yoof"...........?

Seriously!!!! A young thing like you hasn't heard that expression before?

MonoStone    915

LOL... whatever you do don't call yourself J Doll! 

Jenn    257
11 minutes ago, Richard Tracey said:

Seriously!!!! A young thing like you hasn't heard that expression before?

No :( much rather prefer staying inside making music than talking to people

Just now, MonoStone said:

LOL... whatever you do don't call yourself J Doll! 

DJ Doll... Another one

MonoStone    915
4 minutes ago, Jenn said:

DJ Doll... Another one

Yep that's the one! Go with that

Jenn    257

This is the most hi-tech I've ever been in my life 

Screen Shot 2017-08-14 at 11.49.15 PM.png

I fixed the color difference in the font..

Edited by Jenn

symphonious7    206

I LOVE ALL THE ARTWORK SOOOO MUCH!!!!!  lol this made me like... I wanna do THAT yes please.  You totally just inspired me, I'm gonna be pming you to ask you how you're doing it at some point, or you can just tell me lol  I think that was just awesome it made me really interested in your EP.  

Jenn    257

OooooOOOOOOoooooooo I think with this, IT'S DONE. The crystal ball will be my symbol I guess

59930a5b81bcd_ScreenShot2017-08-15at10_50_03AM.thumb.png.236b8dec9ee1349059656c26e915dc4d.png

All the instrumental mixing is done... for now

now to rerecord all those vocals.....

8 hours ago, symphonious7 said:

I LOVE ALL THE ARTWORK SOOOO MUCH!!!!!  lol this made me like... I wanna do THAT yes please.  You totally just inspired me, I'm gonna be pming you to ask you how you're doing it at some point, or you can just tell me lol  I think that was just awesome it made me really interested in your EP.  

aye thank you :)... I did the best I could with online photo editor and Word. 

ah that means so much that I inspired you. I was as dedicated to it as I am about my songs, surprisingly. 

I'm planning to release it probably in October/November!!!! So I'll keep everyone updated :D 

Yeah go ahead and PM me whenever.. like I said I just used a free website for photo editing and word for everything else

MonoStone    915

I like the hand drawn crystal ball and the hand written text better than the photos, I think that's a cool style. Lovely as the photos are... that hand drawn style is more fitting to your music style I think...and a similarly sketchy drawing of a fox or some clocks would fit 'Mr Fox' better than a photo of a fire... 

But... the photos and font do look very nice :) 

Just sayin' !!! ;)

Jenn    257
3 minutes ago, MonoStone said:

I like the hand drawn crystal ball and the hand written text better than the photos, I think that's a cool style. Lovely as the photos are... that hand drawn style is more fitting to your music style I think...and a similarly sketchy drawing of a fox or some clocks would fit 'Mr Fox' better than a photo of a fire... 

But... the photos and font do look very nice :) 

Just sayin' !!! ;)

mmmmmmmm.............................. .... .... .... .. .......

...... .... i sat here for a few minutes debating...

still no conclusion.... give me a few nights sleep

very happy you like it though

Edited by Jenn

MonoStone    915

could be inspired by -

Jenn    257
10 minutes ago, MonoStone said:

could be inspired by -

would be BBC damn brits

give me a second.. lemme see if I can find this sketch I did

@MonoStone it seems the sketch for my tattoo is lost forever

but I was flipping through journals and I did find this...

who knew it would kind of fit perfectly??

IMG_7782.thumb.JPG.dc03e7438f0b571a60da3ac6f9bd1428.JPG

i dont know

i can see both styles

.. aye

Edited by Jenn

MonoStone    915

hehe.... clearly foxes and clocks mean a lot to you. 

My taste is for the drawings. 

But don't be swayed by me or anyone... maybe you might be swayed by a vote if it swings heavily one way... otherwise just go with your feeling.

I simply felt the need to say my own opinion, but that's all it is :) But if you go with drawings, do them all in sharpie and simple like the crystal ball.

Ok winding my neck back in again now ...........................

symphonious7    206
2 hours ago, Jenn said:

OooooOOOOOOoooooooo I think with this, IT'S DONE. The crystal ball will be my symbol I guess

59930a5b81bcd_ScreenShot2017-08-15at10_50_03AM.thumb.png.236b8dec9ee1349059656c26e915dc4d.png

All the instrumental mixing is done... for now

now to rerecord all those vocals.....

aye thank you :)... I did the best I could with online photo editor and Word. 

ah that means so much that I inspired you. I was as dedicated to it as I am about my songs, surprisingly. 

I'm planning to release it probably in October/November!!!! So I'll keep everyone updated :D 

Yeah go ahead and PM me whenever.. like I said I just used a free website for photo editing and word for everything else

Ohhhhhh!!! So it's an ONLINE booklet?  I thought you'd made a real physical one, and I was like "Whoa!  So oldchool!"  But an online one is fun too.. I'm thinking of making some sort of visual website journey for my albums or something.... I dunno.... gotta get the visual going it definitely.... helps the listener understand I think.  Seeing all those scenic things you are posting and the phrases you put with the pictures, it just shows how much depth you see in what you're doing... I dunno I'm rambling, I just love this idea haha

Jenn    257
17 minutes ago, symphonious7 said:

Ohhhhhh!!! So it's an ONLINE booklet?  I thought you'd made a real physical one, and I was like "Whoa!  So oldchool!"  But an online one is fun too.. I'm thinking of making some sort of visual website journey for my albums or something.... I dunno.... gotta get the visual going it definitely.... helps the listener understand I think.  Seeing all those scenic things you are posting and the phrases you put with the pictures, it just shows how much depth you see in what you're doing... I dunno I'm rambling, I just love this idea haha

No! I just made it all on the computer so it's easy (hopefully ) to print..I'm going to print it out and assemble it and send it to my friends/anyone who wants a copy...

well each of my songs has a very specific image that goes with it when I'm making it ..

kind of helps to keep the song in a straight direction 

• Like 1