Your Ad Could Be Here

Making Music Spiritual Again

2 minutes ago, Jenn said:

or you feel like it's in you but you're too embarrassed ... . . .. . :unsure: or maybe its just delusions of grandeur 

Was that a reference to yourself?  Cause I think if you are the type to perform by yourself like, in front of a mirror or in the shower or just when you're rocking out to songs you like, then it's in you.  It's just... so difficult to completely abandon your inhibitions in front of others.  But hey you've always got the answer for that!  ALCOHOL.  [smiley=beerchug.gif] lol

1 minute ago, Pahchisme Plaid said:

It's not just you, Symph.  Writers have an equivalent dry spells.  It's (hopefully) a temporary thing relating to various circumstances--heck, it could be being overtired or hormonal or what you ate for supper the night before.  I wouldn't sweat it (that just makes it worse).  Just work on what inspires you at the moment and hopefully it will work itself out. 😬

Oh I'm not, honestly I think that... I'm just an analyzer.  Sometimes when I make these posts and share thoughts I start feeling like people begin to try and console me, and I understand why, but I don't need consoling I'm unusually detached from myself if that makes sense.  I can analyze my behavior, good or bad, talk about flaws, analyze shortcomings, and I don't ever feel embarrassed or... down about it.  I'm just trying to figure myself out enough to work out kinks.  So I was more or less just saying "Even if you KNOW it's in you it doesn't always come out right!"  But yeah I'm feeling very hopeful.  I was already in a much better headspace for making music, and now I'm just itching to get it done.  About to record some guitar parts.  I'm sure my 180 turn arounds could appear false or weird to some, but I legitimately have life changing epiphanies on a monthly basis lol  When it sticks with me, it sticks.  

30 minutes ago, symphonious7 said:

Was that a reference to yourself?  Cause I think if you are the type to perform by yourself like, in front of a mirror or in the shower or just when you're rocking out to songs you like, then it's in you.  It's just... so difficult to completely abandon your inhibitions in front of others.  But hey you've always got the answer for that!  ALCOHOL.  [smiley=beerchug.gif] lol

Could be the inhibitions?  Alcohol just makes me sleepy and dizzy.  I hate being dizzy, ugh!  Not a fan.  However, hanging with fun, uninhibited people does rub off on me, but don't have anyone like that to hang with. 😶

7 minutes ago, Pahchisme Plaid said:

Could be the inhibitions?  Alcohol just makes me sleepy and dizzy.  I hate being dizzy, ugh!  Not a fan.  However, hanging with fun, uninhibited people does rub off on me, but don't have anyone like that to hang with. 😶

I've been wanting to start having google hangouts with people but I keep dragging my feet.  Maybe we can set that up, I used to have a group I talked with like 3 times a week and it just felt like we were a little online club or something it was great.  And yeah alcohol doesn't help me either, but I was kind of continuing a running gag with Jenn, she tends to site alcohol as the answer to everything these days :001_rolleyes:

Lol j\k, you know I love you Jenn 

On 8/17/2017 at 5:09 PM, Pahchisme Plaid said:

I could maybe pull off a few performances for kicks, but as a lifestyle--no way!!  No desire at all there for me.  I think you have to be DESIGNED for it and included in that design is that very ability--not saying all the time--writers go dry, too, but to even have the energy, it's got to be built in.

By designed I assume you mean genetic.

Playing music and playing music to the public are both examples of performance. They are usually very different though.

I think it unlikely that either are genetic. I've known (and experienced) dreadful nerves before playing in public. Most of us get used to it after a while. The people that are entirely without nerves are often glib performers. It helps to have a mild case of butterflies just to keep you sharp.

Playing in public teaches you how to connect to people. Playing for your own self only is a whole different reading. Playing in the studio is different again. Jerry Garcia said that working in the studio is like building a ship in a bottle, and that playing live is like being in a rowboat on the ocean. I happen to concur with that view.

Jerry Garcia also said that even after all those years playing in front of so many people, he is still terrified before every show.  I thought that was pretty crazy, they seem like the chillest band on earth on stage.  

I can see how that would be like being in a rowboat on the ocean.  By design, I truly meant (and probably not supposed to say it here), each individual has what I believe to be a designated purpose as they are created by God and encompassed within that are the skills, inclinations, talents, whatever you call it, to be developed toward it serving in that capacity.  Music IS most definitely an influence in the lives of listeners.  After all, look at the emotion, calm and/or energy it has been known to stimulate.  

5 minutes ago, symphonious7 said:

Jerry Garcia also said that even after all those years playing in front of so many people, he is still terrified before every show.  I thought that was pretty crazy, they seem like the chillest band on earth on stage.  

I didnt know that. I know he liked to 'keep occupied' on stage (to keep thinking). I suppose the nerves vanished once he got focused on the music at hand.

3 minutes ago, Rudi said:

I didnt know that. I know he liked to 'keep occupied' on stage (to keep thinking). I suppose the nerves vanished once he got focused on the music at hand.

I think it was a 60 minutes interview where I saw him say that, a woman with short blonde hair was interviewing him and it looked like it was in the early 90's.  She said "What's it like being on stage in front of 10,000 people?"  He said "terrifying!"  She said "Really??   A big star like you still gets scared on stage? Why?"  And he said "Have YOU ever played played in front of 10,000 people???"  hehehe I paraphrased but it was something like that.  

Archived