Your Ad Could Be Here

How candid are you in your lyrics?

Hey Alistair

In my last post, I actually moved from the hypothetical on to the actual (the mother example is a real, true example from my life of trying to find that happy balance between the song and people's feelings). I write what I write, that can't be helped. But, if it was something that I knew would make for some truly uncomfortable Christmas dinners, I simply would not play the song in public.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Alistair

I may be repeating the post. My computer's acting funny; I'm not sure if this post has been posted already. If so, I apologize.

In my last post, I actually moved from the hypothetical on to the actual (the mother example is a real, true example from my life of trying to find that happy balance between the song and people's feelings). I write what I write, that can't be helped. But, if it was something that I knew would make for some truly uncomfortable Christmas dinners, I simply would not play the song in public.

• 5 months later...
  • Noob

When it comes to lyrics, they're usually a one time thing that I do not modify. I personally don't think strong lyrics make a good song, and how some people just put such as emphasis on it as if it were poetry... okay, I suppose it is, but isn't the music really the more important thing in the picture here?

When it comes to lyrics, they're usually a one time thing that I do not modify. I personally don't think strong lyrics make a good song, and how some people just put such as emphasis on it as if it were poetry... okay, I suppose it is, but isn't the music really the more important thing in the picture here?

A contentious argument! I think if you're banging your head against a wall listening to some Death metal, then lyrics may seem unimportant! But if you're listening to a Jazz ballad, then the lyrics become all important! For me, it's definately a combination of the two. A good lyric can be enhanced greatly by a good melody. Conversely, a good lyric can be killed off instantly by a poor melody!

(Welcome to songstuff! :) )

• 2 weeks later...

Lately I've been having a lot of trouble with this because the things I've felt compelled to write about are things that I can't really share with other people without ruining my life. I guess its my way of finding an outlet for the emotions that I never talk about.

I just write it all in a notebook and store it away for that day when the subject matter isn't quite so recent- which could be years.

For example I might write about the trouble I'm having with a certain relationship that I don't tell anybody about, not even the person I'm in the relationship with.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Not exactly Mark, Ive become accustomed to letting the words flow out & damn the consequences. I have gotten flak about it, both in my personal life and also in here. I am not advocating this to you, but I personally have to work without constraint in order to get the best from my lyrics.

Everyone has to find their own way at any given time. Because the lyrics do or can affect those close to us. That can branch out even wider if the writer is a parent.

I think it's legit to either pull back (relationships usually outlast songs) or not. I would hope to pull back, obscure, or keep the song private if I sensed the way a lyric was written would damage a relationship. But I probably don't.

Mark, I think it would serve well to write...and I'd hope you wouldn't stop there. Being candid (even if only to one's self)could be like an audio journal. Maybe aid you in going directly to those issues/relationships and begin to resolve them. Music is a mistress, but she ain't a human. Many have found that out.

Springsteen spoke about it this in recent years, came right out and said the shows were over 2 1/2 hours because the non-stage/non-music part of life, he honestly didn't know how to deal with. This was candor I appreciate and I thought the humility it took to step up to the plate of unknowing, is a manly thing to do.

• 4 weeks later...

I think first of all you have to figure out if you are writing a certain song for personal or for pocketbook.

As a pro writer, (Dang I do get paid for writing) I have to separate them on a daily base. But all in all, how much of you is in a song ain't nobody's business but your own!

And for those that always ask, "Is that from a personal experience?" I answer, "They are all personal to me!!!"

• 4 weeks later...

Good points Colonel :)

you should definitely be scared to get inside my head [smiley=bounce.gif]

its a wild and wooly place

• 4 weeks later...

The most candid writer I know is Randy Newman. Listen to some of his lyrics. I would bauk at the prospect of singing some of those.

eg: Rednecks / Christmas in Capetown / God's Song / My life is Good

These are some of his best work though. I dont think its a coincidence.

The most candid writer I know is Randy Newman.

Hey Rudi

Are you saying those songs truly represent Newman's own opinions ?

Hey Rudi

Are you saying those songs truly represent Newman's own opinions ?

Rednecks: no

Christmas in Capetown: no

Gods Song: yes

My life is Good: mostly

Newman can put himself inside of racists, bigots and rapists. He finds humanity in the worst examples of mankind. There is no reason why you have to maintain your own identity in a song to express what you mean. His songs can be seriously offensive. The most ridiculous example was ‘Short People’. It was a hit single that had shortasses queuing up to abuse him. It was a song about prejudice & he invented a prejudice (presumably to avoid misunderstanding) to express it. People being what they are, they took offence anyway.

I used to do a little bit of lyrics whenever I had inspiration, or something to comment on. As for being about myself... I had ideas last time, but it never got beyond a single line. Thinking up an instrumental solo passage seemed more satisfying when it came to handling... issues.

Hi all,

I wrote a song a little while ago. It has no swear words, contains no sexism, racism (or any other 'ism') and does not condone drug taking. It is about a kid who gets bullied at school and then reads that a friend of his has taken his life due to him also being bullied. The guy sits down and has a choice; does he take his own life and let his tormentors drive him (and more kids like him) to suicide, or does he take the law into his own hands and take his vengeance out on those that abuse him daily (while other people look on). He decides to take the second option.

I have had abuse from loads of people for writing this song. I have even had it removed from some boards. But the fact is it only makes me feel better about my writing. It says something when a few words that I threw together in a few minutes have that effect on people. No one will ever tell me what I can or cannot write. I do not like curses in songs, nor racism, sexism or gratuitous violence. Yet I would never tell someone they could not write about a particular subject. Who am I to tell anyone what to write about?

So sod the lot of them (LOL). They can keep writing songs I hate and I'll keep writing songs they hate. A good song is a good song no matter what the subject. To be honest, I did not think my song was that good (as I said earlier, I wrote it in about 5 mins), it is not the best i've written, but probably the most controversial.

BTW I am a 40 year old businessman from London. I have never bullied anyone or been bullied myself. I have a great family and a great life. I say this because a lot of folk who read the song thought I was a teenager out of my head on drugs contemplating suicide.

The song lyrics are below. I will await your abuse LOL

YouTube Hero

V1

Ran away crying from school today

Just cos I was different, they made me pay

Humiliated, in front of my peers

Another victim and an ocean of tears (to cry)

V2

Logged on to 'I'mBeingBullied.com'

The Forum told a story 'bout a guy named John

Said he decided to end it all

His Mama found him hanging from a hook in the wall

Bridge

So now I must decide what I will do

Do I take the life of one or of a few

Chorus

Well I've decided on extermination

A new hero for the YouTube generation

A poster Boy for everyone who's been hurt

The guy who's gonna put his tormentors in the dirt

The kid who only wanted to be your friend

Will be the one who brings your life to an end

They'll all ask why I did what I did

While the Evil ones still bully and create another kid (like me)

V3

Right now my photograph ain't worth a Dime

But next week i'll be on the cover of Time

They'll tell about a kid who was twisted inside

Surrounded by the pictures of the 'victims' who died (that day)

V4

But you won't read about the kids who've already gone

Cos they didn't kill others, they did no wrong

Took their own lives, cos they couldn't take school

Forced to die, just so you could look cool

Bridge

So now I must decide what I will do

Do I take the life of one or of a few

Chorus

Well I've decided on extermination

A new hero for the YouTube generation

A poster Boy for everyone who's been hurt

The guy who's gonna put his tormentors in the dirt

The kid who only wanted to be your friend

Will be the one who'll brings your life to an end

They'll all ask why I did what I did

While the Evil ones still bully and create another kid (like me)

Tommyboy2

Hi Tommy,

Im not sure how YouTube fits into the concept. The kid intends to video his violent retribution I assume, right?

Hi Rudi,

I read an article called 'Modern Day Killer or YouTube Hero?' in a UK magazine, that's where the title itself came from. The YouTube in the title mainly refers to the fact that nowadays most youngsters get their news, views, music and almost everything else online. The Cho video got millions of hits in a relatively short space of time. I remember when I was young they used to say that kids were the 'TV Generation' or the 'MTV Generation'. Today it is the 'YouTube Generation' and the 'Myspace Generation'. My son never watches TV and very rarely listens to the radio, his life revolves around his 'cyberspace friends'.

I should point out that I do not agree with anyone taking another persons life (that includes Capital Punishment). However, I hate bullies with a passion. If I was bullied I would probably want to fight back, yet my views on killing/hurting others would therefore make me a hypocrite. It's a conundrum which I hope will never have to face.

Thousands of kids go home each year and kill themselves because thay cannot cope with bullying. The song I wrote gives the view of the (thankfully) small minority who eventually snap and, instead of killing themselves and disapearing into obscurity, choose to kill their agressors and become (in some people's eyes) a YouTube Hero.

Tommyboy2

Hey Tommy

I won't review your lyric here, though if you post it in the reviews board (if not already) I'll happily post comment there.

I once wrote a songs that were certainly more controversial than I now tend to write, covering subjects as a paedophile (from the perspective of a fly on the wall 3rd party commentary), a serial killer (from the perspective of the serial killer and 3rd party) and a dying homeless man (3rd party), all of which got strong reactions at the time.

In saying that, the song that provoked the longest and deepest reactions were personal lyrics or inspired by personal experience. One about a close friend who died, another about a lover who lied and deceived, and another about enjoying partying with a double edged sword meaning related to drugs.

Cheers

John

• 2 months later...

I struggle with lyrics that aren't personal, in fact i just posted the first lyrics I've done which aren't 90% or more autobiographical, but even that started out as yet another autobiographical song.

One problem I do have is that I want to write songs about certain subjects, and they could lead to problems, so I don't write em (if i did i wouldn't be able to post them, and then I rarely have the will power/skill to finish lyrics without a bit of help... :s) So i have a potentially good lyric and maybe even song that I'll not be able to write until a situation or two changes, as I wouldn't be able to write about it in a way that would disguise the true bits... Highly irritating!

Mostly though I try to be truthful as it tends to make better lyrics :)

Rohan

Archived