Your Ad Could Be Here

You Tube Music Videos

seems like every weekend I post some videos that I find on YouTube, so I thought about making one topic to gather all of them and also it would be nice if anybody can post here more music videos...

here's what I found today:

Richard Bona w/ Bobby McFerrin

a very sutil and soft impro with Bobby on vocals and Richard on Bass and vocals.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's one for you Hari - things to do in the bath with your kids.

Hermeto y Grupo had a lake.

And one for Steve - enjoy

Agua de Marcos

Hope everyone else dogs 'em, too.

Dogs 'em?

Digs 'em!

Edited by Lazz

Concha Buika - Mi Niña Lola

Just beautiful.

Wish I could see her eyes.

(Isn't that an electric bass I hear?)

Thanks

:) Nice one Hari.

Another old master Joe Pass

You'll also find some vids of him with my favourite piano player, Oscar Petersen! Fantastic!

I saw Joe Pass at Ronnie Scotts about 30 years ago. Oscar Petersen dropped by, stepped up to the piano and joined him. Joe had his eyes shut. On hearing the piano he half turned his head and nodded to OP. Good jam!

Take 6 !!

Stunning, hip, in-tune, groovy, close harmony, a capella.

Honestly - these guys amaze me. Even though I am a proudly sacrilegious little toe-rag, they are so righteously good I find it easy to overlook the fact that they're always singing about the baby jesus.

They got together at a Baptist college somewhere south I think - sure had the focus and discipline to hone their undeniable talent - and have done other great things with Mcferrin, and Quincy... the real deal. They have all those little vocal stylings from Stevie and Micheal Jackson et al right in the pocket and under control. I remember catching them at a festival backstage bar one time. Of course they don't drink. All they did was sit there and sing to each other. Seriously heavy. And I still treasure the little set of chromatic pitch-pipes I got from one of 'em at the Royal Albert Hall. Wow. And there are NO instruments on this.

Edited by Lazz

That Xavier is a nice new surprise, Stave.

they should sing Zappa's "Illinois enema bandit"...

Ho ho ho... neat thought.

I once found a middle-aged ladies' choir in the north of england preparing a straight and extraordinarily well-enunciated version of the Stones' 'Satisfaction' - very gleeful unexpected contradiction indeed.

Here's one I think you'll like though Hari (hope so).

Jaco was such a great writer and arranger - and here he is having a great time with the Word Of Mouth band, featuring Toots Thielmans on harmonica, Oliver Molineux on steel pan, with Randy Brecker on trumpet and Bob Mintzer on soprano. Killer.

Liberty City

And one that you may not (too 'soft'? or whatever) but she's still one of my absolute vocal favourites (although it is not on display here - her voice actually covers an unbelievable 7 octaves).

Rachelle Ferrell

Edited by Lazz

yes, that Xavier Rudd is really good!!

hey Lazz, I really enjoyed the Jaco tune, what did Toots said to him to make him laugh at the end?

don't you agree with me that Michael Brecker has more "melody-phrasing sense" than Randy?

Steps Ahead - Oops 1986 (with Mike Stern on guitar).

This is one of the few Steve Vai tunes that I like:

Steve Vai - Tender Surrender

Don't you think that Maceo Parker is the true king of funk?

Maceo & Fred Live in Slovakia '95

and look!! Shakti in 1975!!! featuring John Mclaughlin, Zakir Hussain and L. Shankar.

What a lovely bunch of wonders.

Thanks Hari. and Steve, and Rudi.

I am building a small directory of selected favourites so I can return to them again.

Even more impressive is that I have discovered they can be viewed at full-screen (doh!).

Less keen on the Vai vid - there's a certain something personally I need in music that seems absent. But whatever it is, this essential ingredient, those other guys have plenty. Especially enjoying the undeniable Maceo and Fred supreme funkmeister performance and the absolutely smoking Steps Ahead.

(One of my favourite Steps albums was always 'Smokin' In The Pit' - just great for people who claim they don't like jazz but really haven't had a chance to hear the real thing yet)

Regarding preferences/satisfactions twixt the Brecker siblings - I feel an immediate agreement with your point of view, Hari, but then I seem to have heard so much less of Randy compared to Michael. Most of what I hear is section work - but that's the nature of brass players' careers - whereas Michael gets hired for the quality of his sound as a soloist. And maybe it's that sound is the answer. I mean, they both shared a musical upbringing and a bunch of mutual musical opportunities, developed writing/arranging concepts together, adopted a bi-tonality approach, ....... so there's a lot of the same vocabulary being used, .... I think maybe it's because personally - and especially in regard to their shared tendency to operate 'outside' of any prevailing functional harmony - personally I find the saxophone much more readily convincing as a 'voice'. Does that make sense? Then again, as I said, I am so much more familiar with Mike Brecker's work. He is a sax collossus. And I'm just so glad to hear he is able to play a little each day now and seems to be recovering and improving after some experimental treatment for a difficult complaint. At least he's home and temporarily out of the shadow of death's door.

I have no idea what Toots says to Jaco.

Must have been good.

Hey - my turn - regarding Steps Ahead - seeing Mike Manieri again reminded me of an long lost and missed LP called 'Tim Hardin Live in Concert' (I think) from a late great singer-songwriter who I often lately overlook. Manieri was in the band for that recording (so was Eddie Gomez and Warren Bernhardt - both of whom would also curiously become Steps alumni). Only thing I found on YouTube was this cutesy animation set to one of the more well known of Tim Hardin's songs.

Hang On To A Dream

Guy named Don Grolnick was, along with Eddie Gomez, part of the original 'Steps' before they became 'Steps Ahead'. He died a couple of years back but had enjoyed a cool career involving work with a lot of fun and interesting musical projects outside of the jazz spher. Worked with Paul Simon for instance.... and was James Taylor's musical director for many years. Searching YouTube for Grolnick turned up this interesting little nugget - it's a Milton Nascimento songs, with JT on background harmony, and there's Don on electric keys at the bass-player's elbow. Neat.

Vendedor dos Sonhos

Here's another guitar playing guy you might enjoy:.

None of it maybe as immediately in-your-face brilliant as previously posted stuff but it's what I came up with to share.

So, in the meantime, back to Jaco at his gratuitously extravagant best.

Coyote

Edited by Lazz

You are perfectly correct.

I did wet myself.

A most excellent discovery !!

Thanks Steve

Ummm... ?? Think I've heard about that other talented young geezer. Clever little chappie isn't he? Feels kind of embryonic yet to me still. Like a bunch of admirably executed yet purely technique-based licks jostling to set up home together but short on coherence of purpose .

Like Big Brother.

I also wanted to describe it as 'all sound and flurry signifying little' - but more because I was feeling pretty clever about having the phrase suddenly pop into mind just then than much else constructive - anyway, this definitely makes me want to follow up and see to what use he puts all that growing technique and how he does in the end. I think he's going to take it a long way. Writes neat pop songs too.

???

And now for something completely different!

It'll make you wet yourself! :)

It was alright, but that synth had too low of a LFO setting.

;)

you guys gotta see this:

Ravi Shankar explaining the use of tabla.

the problem with Vai is that he's always trying to show his chops, IMHO he should quit rock'n'roll and do other kind of music for a while, somehow he is stuck in his "guitar hero" personality he's a very talented guy, another Zappa alumni.

The Brecker Bros. played in the Zappa band a few days in New York, the result of those dates is the Zappa in New York album, both brothers played long solos, but only Michael kept my ear.

I also have a recording of a whole show, which is great because there's a lot of things that Zappa did live that never were released...

now guys like me spend hours listening to recordings done with a portable mono cassette recorder and a re-recorded tape ;D

I love Ralph Towner's work with Oregon, their "45th Parallel" album is a masterpiece!!!

with another tabla master, Trilok Gurtu.