Your Ad Could Be Here

You Tube Music Videos

hours listening to recordings done with a portable mono cassette recorder and a re-recorded tape

Funny.

I used to listen to Charlie Parker on a portable Dansette record-player - highly lo-fi - and developed organic filters in my ears early on. A local guy, hopeful suitor to my older sister, was a high-end obsessive hi-fi nut in the pioneer days of stereo. He would sit me in a scientifically precision-positioned chair and enthusiastically demonstrate the uncanny reality of trains rushing past, or of someone walking across the room and leaving via a creaky hinged door with clearly efficient lock mechanics. It was - for the time - extraordinarily well produced and sonically convincing.

But you just couldn't dance to it.

Better off with Bird on a beat-up box in the back kitchen.

Good as gold.

Long ago dumped the Dansette but, like you, still treasure many seriously well below-fi cassette copies of the sort of transcendent moments that only happen live in the zone.

I'll listen out for that Zappa stuff - someone will have a copy around here.

And I also need to hunt down that Oregon record - ECM, I guess (?) - Trilok is a monster.

(What about teaming that guy up with Hermeto... think it would work? )

Thanks for tabla-Shankar link.

Here's something else old and interestingi-

When I hear people identifying the "first" rock'n'roll record in history, most of the consensual smart money goes on 'Rocket 88'. Personally I wouldn't feel that confident about subscribing to a linear 'big-bang" theory like that - tends to too easily overlook the huge spirited contribution of bandleader Lionel Hampton, for instance.

It says rock'n'roll to me at any rate.

This short also features 16 bars of scat from a youthful Betty Carter, a powerfully significant figure in the world of jazz singers. Did those great duets with Ray Charles, and lots of other fine stuff under her own name. She died only a few years back. Lionel Hampton was her first gig.

Lionel & Betty: Cobb's Idea

Edited by Lazz

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trilok Gurtu can (and did) play with anybody, he's great.

here's a great clip with:

John McLaughlin, LaBeque Duo and Trilok Gurtu

Johnny "Guitar" Watson also did some recordings with Zappa, you can find him singing "Andy" on the "One Size Fits All" album... but here he his with his big hit.

Johnny "Guitar" Watson-Aint That A Bitch (live!!)

does anybody play Bach better than Glen Gould?

Bach - Art of fugue - Contrapunctus 1 - Glenn Gould

and one curiosity, Eric Carmen's "All By Myself" is based on Sergei Rachmaninov's Piano Concerto No. 2

Rachmaninov Piano Concerto No.2

what an easy way to make music!!! ;D

ahhh... Jim Hall... his playing is so unique!!! thanks for that one Steve. I found this clip with him, Michel Petrucciani and Wayne Shorter, nice.

Michel Petrucciani [Power Of Three [With Jim Hall, Wayne Shorter]

and here is one sax player that I like a lot: Mr. Jan Garbarek. His works with Keith Jarret are very good, but the album I like best is one with violinist L. Shankar called "Song for Everyone" that featured also Trilok Gurtu and Zakir Hussain!!!.

and here is Zakir Hussain playing with John Mclaughlin:

If you're just going to click on one link of this post, click on tis one:

[smiley=drums.gif]

Good stuff Hari. :)

Here's something equally funny.

The wonderfully subversive George Carlin somehow managing to share space with the unconscionably right-wing Dennis Miller who, thankfully, shuts up most of the time.

Edited by Lazz

This is not a music vid.

Neither is it from YouTube.

Nonetheless, I think this south London bird is quite terrific.

Dynamite cabaret schtick

Tickled my fancy

Ursula Martinez

Fabulous

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...