Your Ad Could Be Here

What's in a name?

My friends band was called the `Bloated Goat'. and they named a short lived band I was in called `Big Gas Bottle'.

The story is that a couple of them were cycling around the Isle of Wight, when they stopped for the night at a pub where they chatted to the Landlord. Ian had to shout to make himself heard "what do you use? some kind of big gas bottle?" he said, when the noise abruptly stopped at the appropriate moment.

My friends band was called the `Bloated Goat'. and they named a short lived band I was in called `Big Gas Bottle'.

The story is that a couple of them were cycling around the Isle of Wight, when they stopped for the night at a pub where they chatted to the Landlord. Ian had to shout to make himself heard "what do you use? some kind of big gas bottle?" he said, when the noise abruptly stopped at the appropriate moment.

;D ;D ;D

I was in a 'virtual band' at college called 'Desk'. "How do you mean, 'Desk'?" people would ask

Well as in 'Blue Oyster Desk' or 'Crosby Stills Nash and Desk' or 'Deep Desk'  we replied....Obvious really.

• 1 year later...
Another one I liked was The Magic Poodle Adventure or Box of Goats

Are you meaning to say you got your band name from one of these generators?? ???

pretty crazy lol... some funny stuff I got... But I still think the best way to come up with a name (at least one that has meaning to you/the band/the music or whatever.. Just think of a bunch of words that are descriptive of the music, or the feel your looking for or such and juggle them around a bit.. Ive used that method to come up with quite a few names I liked ..

Suicidal Sweetness

Mystic Rainbow

Mystic Dreams

Foggy Dreams

Crimson Passion

Frozen Tears

Butterfly Kisses

Cavern of Lost Hopes and Broken Dreams

Really the youd be amazed with how much just a few key words and a little creativity and time would get you......

Ive decided though.. whenever I do start recording, my name will be simple

HOPE

anyways.. nice article.. some good points... I particularly liked the mention of names of bands that are a persons name.. I always wonderd about that.. personally, Id think anyone to name thier band after themselvs to be a bit concieted.... (not including names like fleetwood mac, which incorperates more than one person) I was thinking more along the lines of those such as.. the kenny wayne sheppard band.. though I like them.. I cant help but wonder about the name......

and yes, I have to agree about it being easy for 60's and 70's bands had it easy... some names are just rediculous. But whatever workes, right?

i think bands names are now hardly properly original. its because there have been so many. some use the same words as former groups. eg- 'atomic kitten' & 'atomic rooster'.

a revolution in band names is needed. maybe they could be numbers or something. ???

What, like Level 42?

Or UB40?

hmm... :-[ scrub round that then.

maybe sponsors will take over?

the new sainsburys syncopaters anyone?

I used to be in a band called 'Sainsburys Syncopaters'. Then I moved on to 'The B&Q Thread' :)

• 5 months later...
  • 10 years later...

This ones for an Australian band lol.

The AB originals

For an American band

US

For a British band

The Pommy's

For a French band

The Frogs

For a German band

Shultz