Songstuff

Song Title Association Game

7,462 posts in this topic

Bootsy Collins - Jam Fan (Hot)

Edited by Just1L

Those Shoes - Eagles

"The Long Run", from which this song comes, was this band's best album, by far, as far as I am concerned.

Edited by RobAsh15

Dan Seals - everything that glitters isn't gold

Okay, I realize that this game has morphed recently into something completely different than what it was to begin with, or even what it was for the last 5 or 6 years, but...

Tell me Scotsman,

What does; Dan Seals - "Everything That Glitters (Is Not Gold)" have to do with; The Eagles - "Those Shoes"...?

What's the association?

Just to place the words on the record, this is not a free association game. Scotsman will probably have a very clever answer and I will lose on my challenge, but I still think it deserves to be said to all that are playing now.

This is a WORD association game. One word in your response must directly associate with one word in the previous post. The association must be clear. It can be clever, so that others may not at first perceive an association, but when the association is revealed, it must be direct. Here are some examples:

"The Eagles" could be responded to with a song by "The Birds"... or it could be responded to with "Fly Like An Eagle" by Steely Dan. OR it could be responded to with "The Night Owl" by Little River Band, (bird to bird), or any other song with a bird in the title (any bird) or any band named after a bird (and bird)

"Those Shoes" could be properly responded to with songs like "These Boots" by Nancy Sinatra, or "Boot Scootin' Boogey" by Brooks And Dunn. Or "Blue Jean Baby" by Scott McCreery (boots and jeans both being articles of clothing)... or even "Red Bandana" by Merle Haggard, again, because both a bandana and boots are clothing items.

Associations can be even more clever and slightly less direct than ones described above. but the association must be "of a direct line" to a single word, or an identifiable phrase in the previous entry. A part of the challenge of making a really clever response is to make sure the association is (or at least should be) obvious, once you reveal it. If you can get someone to challenge your post and then prove them wrong, that is essentially the "GAME" aspect of this... game.

No anger or anything involved here. Just an attempt to ensure we are all still playing the same game.

Edited by RobAsh15

I took it as Eagles->Seals … both animals.

Shine On You Crazy Diamond - Pink Floyd

The Right Time - Ray Charles

(Time For A) Cool Change - Little River Band

A Question Of Time (extended remix) - Depeche Mode

2 people like this

I put a spell on you - Nina Simone

Posted (edited)

Rob only just seen your post   Golden eagle - was the link ?  

Edited by scotsman89
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

On 2/28/2017 at 2:16 PM, Just1L said:

I took it as Eagles->Seals … both animals.

I had a feeling. I also appreciate this as an attempt to draw a challenge. Well, you did.

I lose.

What's that make me now, Rudi?

Oh for nineteen...?

Edited by RobAsh15
1 person likes this

31 minutes ago, RobAsh15 said:

I had a feeling. I also appreciate this as an attempt to draw a challenge. Well, you did.

I lose.

What's that make me now, Rudi?

Oh for nineteen...?

I was wrong also. Did you see scotsmans post above? Much better than I thought. 

Golf Girl - Caravan

Dos Gardenias  - Buena Vista Social Club

The Mama's & The Papa's - Spanish Harlem

Mama - Genesis

Vienna - Billy Joel

I don't get any of Rudi's posts.  None.  So please be honest, is this a sign of early onset dementia, which I can't even spell.  That's gotta be a sign.  

Posted (edited)

31 minutes ago, McnaughtonPark said:

I don't get any of Rudi's posts.  None.  So please be honest, is this a sign of early onset dementia, which I can't even spell.  That's gotta be a sign.  

Possibly !

The only excuse I can offer for Genesis - Mama into Vienna - Billy Joel

is the link Genesis & Joel     :)

both are chapters from some old book that you hit ganglions with.

Edited by Rudi
guilt
1 person likes this

Joel is a book in the Bible?  I'm losing it!

On 3/1/2017 at 0:11 PM, scotsman89 said:

Rob only just seen your post   Golden eagle - was the link ?  

Scots,

I am still missing it then. Golden Eagle??? Is that the name of the album, words in the song, or what?

Once again, for the record: a word in your post... either in other words in the title of the song or in the artist's name... a word in your post must associate directly with a word in the last post before yours. The association cannot be based on the title of album the song comes from, words in the lyrics of the posted song, or something that was written on the back cover of the album when it was first released.

Just sayin'....

Posted (edited)

ok  does it have to relate directly ?  can see caravan and club -  link caravan club   /  Genisis and Joel feels like a stretch   not complaining ,    but lets not dwell - I thought golden eagle or gold eagle  , the coin .

put golden eagle as don't know if everyone would know of the gold eagle . coin  - or gold eagles to make the words match 

john

Edited by scotsman89

i get the books in the Bible relationship, I just didn't know my books.

its like, as if someone posts Dream On by Aerosmith, and someone else then posts Take The Money And Run by Steve Miller with their perception that both bands are fronted by a man named Steve.  That doesn't work in my book.  A song by Steve Miller and a song by Stevie Wonder would work though.  Or Dream On by Aerosmith and Dream Weaver by Gary Wright would work.  Or Dream On by Aerosmith and Fantasy by Aldo Nova would work but Fantasy by Aldo Nova and Cocaine by Eric Clapton wouldn't work even tho both song refer to the white powder.

thats always been my take on it anyway

1 person likes this

What about this:

Dream on - Aerosmith

Stand - R.E.M.

Personally, I don't mind the ones you can hardly figure out, sometimes they work, sometimes they don't but at least it makes it interesting.

2 people like this

40 minutes ago, Just1L said:

What about this:

Dream on - Aerosmith

Stand - R.E.M.

I like that v much :thumbsup2:

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Just1L said:

What about this:

Dream on - Aerosmith

Stand - R.E.M.

Personally, I don't mind the ones you can hardly figure out, sometimes they work, sometimes they don't but at least it makes it interesting.

Yes, that works for me, but the connection is there.  Like "Lady In Red" and "Queen of Hearts" works for me.  

1 person likes this

I guess we should just give it a go with whatever we want. It's not like we'll be getting away with anything if it doesn't work. I'm looking at you Rob!!!! 

2 minutes ago, Just1L said:

I guess we should just give it a go with whatever we want. It's not like we'll be getting away with anything if it doesn't work. I'm looking at you Rob!!!! 

He'd make good cop I reckon. Maybe a potentate even ! :mellow:

1 person likes this

20 minutes ago, Just1L said:

Whatever we want?  You mean like eating dessert first?

1 person likes this