Your Ad Could Be Here

Headset Recommendation

My husband works as an EMT and because of that I sometimes get nifty toys. One of my favorites are these super-durable OTTO headphones they use, which due to the nature of what’s being transmitted over them are incredibly durable and have excellent audio quality. I found out from my husband that they are now making these for consumers: http://www.hearotto.com/About.aspx I am an audiophile and have experienced lots of headphones, but even the Sennheisers I used when I worked as an audio engineer don’t match up to what’s available in the “emergency industry”. Nice that they're available to people other than the wives of EMT’s, and looks like the price is decent too.

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but I didn't see anything special. Maybe I need to look deeper, but they appear to be very "cheap".

I won't give my final judgement quite yet.

Tom

Hey

The price seems very cheap, though looking at the spec it compares favorably to say beyer dynamic DT100s (standard studio headphones).

beyer dynamic: frequency range 30Hz - 20kHz SPL 94dB

Otto: frequency range 20kHz - 20kHz sensitivity (I am taking this as SPL) 96dB

Of course cheap prices will mean cheap components, so how long it has this specification could be an issue as performance starts to degrade. There also more detailed specification elements that should be considered, but on the surface it looks like a reasonable headphone at a cheap price. At the price they should work out as an extra set for the studio if nothing else.

Tenshun, why do you think they are so good? One question I would ask is how quickly you find your ears getting tired, or that they begin to become uncomfortable?

Cheers

john

Sony is my brand

Frequency Response --- 8-80,000Hz

How much John?

My headphones have a better spec but then again they cost about £100...

I'm confused, how is 30/20 better than 8/80?

$150 american, I'll find a link

I'm confused, how is 30/20 better than 8/80?

$150 american, I'll find a link

Hey John

Misunderstanding. Not saying better. My own headphones are better than 20-20, not that the 30-20s were better than 8-80. What I meant was that the 8-80s were likely to be a lot more expensive (as are mine) which in part accounts for the broader frequency range. :) DT 100s have a comparable range to the Ottos, but are more expensive, that's all. :)

Cheers

John

Tenshun, why do you think they are so good? One question I would ask is how quickly you find your ears getting tired, or that they begin to become uncomfortable?

I don't find my ears getting tired or that the headphones are uncomfortable, though the set I have has a slightly different design than the pair on that website. My plain reason for liking them: they sound better. Dunno why, I've had the same thoughts about price that were listed here, but the actual quality of the audio is more attractive to my ears than any other set I've tried. My instinct is that they are actually a better product for a cheaper price, and that the drawback is the way they look (not all modern and streamlined) which just isn't important to me. That instinct might come from their marketing, but as I've used their headsets before I ever saw the marketing I don't think so. When I go to buy any audio product I always choose a high end store and then blindfold myself to compare products, I only want to make my choice based on the way something sounds, not on any prior knowledge of the brand.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 10 years later...
  • Noob

I have ATH M50 and Dt990 pro.Both are very well in performance and price and cost me under $150 which is not a low price for sure.Now as you are audiophile you might like 990 pro over Ath M50 due to its open back design but for regular music lovers, I  would recommend ***** from Audio Technica.

Archived