Your Ad Could Be Here

Self-critical

Jules

Is anyone here massively self-critical? I amen't usually, but lately, I've been looking over my songs, and thinking: "these are all shit," and throwing most of them away.

Anyone else have this problem?

Also, because I've never played these songs live, they just sit gathering dust. Which means that as my prefrences change, I go back and think certain songs aren't very good.

Hey Jules

Yes I'm reasonably familiar with that feeling. Sometimes I am correct I guess, but then I'm not overly confident about my songs. For that matter i'm not even sure I like a lot of them. C'est La vie.

Cheers

John

Y'all are not alone. I maintain I am my own worst critic (no one else need apply for the job, thank you). I can find fault--usually lots of faults--with every one of my songs.

I have also learned over time that my opinion about what's "good" does not necessarily count. If an audience wants to hear a song, no matter how I feel about it, I will play it. I'm there for them. I have on occasion complained tentatively (*very* tentatively), "Y'know, I have no idea what you see in this song," but I've played it anyway. Their call, not mine.

Want a different perspective (maybe) on your material? Play it in public. See what happens.

Joe

so far performing thingy doesn't applicable to me...

but yeah...as a matter of fact my early lyrics...are worst...if i show you people...i might get banned from songstuff...really....

but sometimes it's very usefull when i am stuck somewhere....i opened the book...and i have a look...and i find something interesting and inspirational....

as a matter of fact...becoming SS member...i haven't post any of my old lyrics...i mean....all that i have posted...i have written after joining SS....

Don't throw them away! It could just be a phase, and if you've thrown them in a permanent fashion then you may not be able to remember them...

Personally I stick all such songs to the bottom of the pile, to be reconsidered at a later date, possibly with some less biased ears than mine...

But I do certainly have phases of disliking much of what I have written before...

P.S. Don't worry Prayag, we don't ban people for being rubbish, especially if they've improved, we'll just send you to songstuff purgatory for a while ;)

I used to feel that way. When I look back at my earlier lyrics, they are truely cringeworthy. So my opinion has not changed. However, my writing has improved since those days, so now, I dont have the problem anymore.

I feel that way too.

Honestly I think any musician worth their salt feels that way and it's a very good thing.

Self Criticizm only drives you to try harder/get better.

Unless you're a sissy and you just give up. :)

Don't be a sissy.

P.S. Don't worry Prayag, we don't ban people for being rubbish, especially if they've improved, we'll just send you to songstuff purgatory for a while ;)

let me know before doing so...coz i need to buy some new cloths...!

hey...does your old work really fascinates you...?

or if a musician comes and tell you to your lyrics...and you show him your best creation...but he keeps denying and you show him the lyrics that you don't personally like...then what would you do...?