Your Ad Could Be Here

Motu

Ok, as usual I leapt before I looked, years ago I read articles about the MOTU Time Piece a way to use SMPTE time code with MIDI sequencing. Of course I couldn't afford any of this gear back then, and so when I found a Mark of the Unicorn Midi Express on E-bay I bought it. I did run the references on it and found several with designations like XT, 128 8x8. Apparently mine predates all of these, this is a MIDI computer interface turns out the unit I bought (now in transit) has a serial interface has 4 Midi Inputs and 6 Midi outs so apparently it does some MIDI routing or merging (yet to be determined) the downside it's meant for MAC I use PCs (not to fret in my arsenal of outdated gear in my storage unit there is an old Mac of some sort) Apparently later models you could buy ISA cards for the PC that would allow it to be used. Found an article about making a null modem type cable to hook it to a PC without the card, however I still won't have the software and MOTU doesn't supply drivers for it anymore or at least I didn't find them on the website. No manual of course. So if you have info I'd appreciate input, if not I will post what I can find out here for others to learn from my mistakes. I will eventually buy the newer MOTU AV (sure when I go pro) as I have this mad desire to write sound tracks hence the need for SMPTE. Probably lots of the new software sequencers do this automatically but I have yet to get that far.

JRG

OK, the MOTU Midi Express arrived today, YAY it does have front panel controls (not visible to me in the sellers photos ... bad eyes)

You can switch between user banks and factory not having software I'm certain that I can't use the user banks. However the front panel lists several setups that it cycles through using the front panel buttons. Under the factory included presets there is a labeled setting for Chanel Sequencer and 2 labeled 16 Chanel sequencer. I'm fairly certain you have to be using those serial ports on the back to use them

On the back there are 4 Midi inputs and 6 Midi outputs, 3 jacks 1 SMPTE In and 1 SMPTE Out and a Foot switch which I have surmised is for stepping through presets can't be sure (no manual). There are 2 MAC style serial connectors they look like Mouse and Keyboard connectors that are on the PC. I'm going to the local MAC store to see what I can find out there.

I plugged it in and it works as a MIDI Thru box quite well and since I didn't pay any more for it than a good 1x4 thru box, I'm happy. It does include SMPTE, but with no manual or software I'm not sure it can be used. It's serial MIDI connections are of the same type on the back of my Alesis QS6.1, so I wonder if I can plug the Synth in and use it to control all the other devices kind of pointless since the QS6.1 doesn't have a sequencer. Anyway if anyone has any knowledge on this I'd like to hear it.

More in the saga as I learn it.

JRG

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the link John, unfortunately this thing is so old it's not in the list. I contacted support didn't get a reply. It's working just fine as a MIDI through box, still haven't made it over to the MAC store apparently they moved it.

JRG

Hey

Not that it is the solution but...

Most midi instruments switch bank view a midi control message. There are standard bank selection methods which vary depending on the bank architecture. Most likely the global midi channel is channel 1, but by a process of elimination you should be able to get the midi channel. Also worth looking for on the web could be the midi message map.

If you use a computer based sequencer you might be able to get a midi instrument file for it?

Although not for your system this article on SoS is for a 1994 6x6 system and may have a few nuggets.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1994_artic...otuexpress.html

Cheers

John

Good idea, I can only hope it can receive midi messages that might control it's function. It has a A and B MAC type serial ports on the back and I suspect if I had the software I could make it work. I actually have an old Apple computer from the same time frame this thing must be from. However even without getting it to do what I want it works fine as a Midi Merge/Thru box. I'll keep looking :) SCSI cables arrived today and now it's time to hook up the ESI32 to the computer. That's going to be fun I'm sure :)

JRG