Your Ad Could Be Here

Doing It Al Fresco...erm, A Cappella

AnneC

I'm not necessarily talking about classical or doo-wop here, although I love those too. A cappella sections can add a lot to a piece's enjoyment. I'm thinking along the lines of the lead-in for Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen.

Do you enjoy listening to that sort of thing? Ever do it? Afraid to try it? Let me know your thoughts.

first thing that comes to mind is the opening of The Pot by Tool. A Capella worls really well there.

ive never done it, not out of of fear or anything, but because i havent written anything i think it will work for

:D i remember when i was doing Higher Music at high school, one of the questions in the exam was 'The saxophone is being played______', you had to fill in the blanks after listening to the piece, one of the options was A Cappela, another was Arco...

they must think we suck.

(the answer was Ad-Lib iirc)

Bohemian Rhapsody made an impression on me because of vocal orchestration.

But I love a capella as a thing itself rather than a design embellishment.

And have always wished to take part - though my voice doesn't have the right qualities (or perhaps I should say absence of them). If I did though, I definitely think I would be fearful of missing, and being so nakedly exposed in my blunders. Whenever I have tried harmonising a capella in the past I found two significant things happened: first, it felt so good it surely should have been illegal; second, that feeling didn't stop innocent passers-by wincing visibly at the noise we were making. It's hard to do well, I think - of course it is, just like everything else - but, done well, I find it stunning and very beautiful.

Historically, most of what I have enjoyed listening to has been American. I always dug the Hi-Lo’s (where the Beach Boys got their close harmony from), and Gene Puerling’s work with Singers Unlimited – way too cheesy for most people but there is incredible craft and silken craftiness inside there. (And Gene only passed a few months ago, so I have been re-visiting recently.) The Persuasions are another favourite of mine from the grittier side.

More contemporaneously, I get stolen away and blown away by the soul and sophisticated polish of Take Six – and there is also some more recent vibrant young street mob whose name escapes me but who built a quick and deserved rep through a viral YouTube film of them performing on the Paris metro... they were hits across the euro-festival circuit this summer.... what's the name Anne?

From outside of the US, vocal groups I also love are Vocal Sampling from Cuba, those lovely state women’s choirs from Bulgaria, a Malagasi band called Rossi who feature a lot of juicy a capella, the extraordinary and very cool Mediterranean choral polyphony out of Corsica and Sardinia (you owe it to yourself to get some – honest), and I am very fond of listening to songs from the Baka – the real honest simple field recordings more than the hi-tech studio-mix aberrations.

Only classical stuff I have is from Arvo Part.

Mixed bag – but all amazing.

I love a capella.

Hey Anne

Yeah i love a capella. Everything from Janis Joplin's single voice version of "Oh lord" (don't know the real name!) to barbershop quartet! lol

I think as long as the voices are decent a capella can really enhance a song. Overall I am a sucker for harmony vocals of all kinds and ones that are more intricate in terms of rhythm and song, back to "plain song".

:)

Good topic :)

Cheers

John

Gentlemen... Gentlemen... :rolleyes:

:backtotopic:

Today I heard a song on the radio that I hadn't heard in years and thought was perfect for this thread. It was Neil Young's After The Gold Rush as performed by a group called Prelude. Gorgeous, closely woven harmonies and not an instrument around. Any other examples come to mind?

More contemporaneously, I get stolen away and blown away by the soul and sophisticated polish of Take Six – and there is also some more recent vibrant young street mob whose name escapes me but who built a quick and deserved rep through a viral YouTube film of them performing on the Paris metro... they were hits across the euro-festival circuit this summer.... what's the name Anne?

From Take Six to Naturally Seven

• 1 month later...