Your Ad Could Be Here

Have Some Great Material....what Should I Do?

• Noob

Before reading this, please understand this is my absolute first search for advice on this subject.

I've been writing music for the past couple of years. I have probably an albums worth of what is in my opinion some really great stuff composed for the guitar. I've done this as a hobby while going to college, never knowing where I wanted to go with it but spending a great amount of time playing and writing.

I now think that I could probably market my music to a record label, given the correct guidance, but I know nothing about the music business, or even basic recording. I was thinking about getting some cheap recording equipment and putting some songs up on myspace.

With everything stated above in mind, I have a couple of questions:

1. First off, if I go with the myspace plan, what should I do to prevent my musical ideas from being stolen? I've worked very hard on my compositions and I don't want to get ripped off.

2. Am I going about this all wrong? How else should I attempt to market my music to people in the business? What kind of recording equipment should I buy? Should I pay to record in a studio?

Don't worry too much about the rip-off stuff, I've never heard one real-world example of this even happening. However there is a couple of things you can do to be entirely sure:

- Record your stuff on a CD and post it to yourself.

- Post it online f.ex. on Myspace and link it from these forums - that is also a proof.

I would strongly recommend you to get some cheap recording equipment to record your stuff.

Then get some others opinions about your music - ours, for example. This is part of what this forum is for - giving you real-world feedback of your efforts. While you wait for your equipment you could try posting some of your lyrics.

Looking forward to hearing your stuff!

Cheap equipment and a myspace page will send a message as to your level of commitment to your Music. If you want to get to the next level, you need to claw your way there. Joining Songstuff is a great first step, we have some great members to help steer you in the right direction.

Do you have a good PC? what are the stats on it? Quality equipment is not out of reach these days, but there is a never ending learning curve.

The other option of hiring a studio is a good way to go, but can bee expensive. Is there a good one around you?

Welcome to Songstuff [smiley=bounce.gif]

Finn posted while I was writing, He is correct about the ripoff factor. Once you go public with your Music, it proves it is yours unless someone can prove they had it first

• Noob

Thanks, I think I'll get some recording equipment as soon as I can. My music is entirely instrumental so I don't really have any lyrics to post. I'll try and get some samples up in the next month or so, time willing.

Do you have any advice on what to buy for computer recording? I'm very short on cash, and I don't have an amp that I would record with. I have to use a preamp to get my tone, which I also don't really think sounds good enough to record with either. Are there any preamps out there that don't sound artificial? I'm currently using a Pod. It's good enough for messing around but I don't think it would cut it for a serious recording.

• Noob
Cheap equipment and a myspace page will send a message as to your level of commitment to your Music. If you want to get to the next level, you need to claw your way there. Joining Songstuff is a great first step, we have some great members to help steer you in the right direction.

Do you have a good PC? what are the stats on it? Quality equipment is not out of reach these days, but there is a never ending learning curve.

The other option of hiring a studio is a good way to go, but can bee expensive. Is there a good one around you?

Welcome to Songstuff [smiley=bounce.gif]

Finn posted while I was writing, He is correct about the ripoff factor. Once you go public with your Music, it proves it is yours unless someone can prove they had it first

I have a few very good computers available which I built myself. My main issue with equipment is not having a recording quality amp, I don't really know what to do about that without shelling out tons of cash. If I were to get an amp I'd probably go buy a nice Marshall, but I'm really curious if there's a way to get decent tone using digital technology.

I have no idea about studios around here, I read somewhere that one closed down here recently, but I'll need to look into that.

Edited by superfluidity

Couple thoughts.

First, do get feedback. You may think your stuff is great, but what's important for marketability is whether other people think it's great. If you can perform, do. Bottom line a record label has is whether it appeals to an audience (after all, they're the ones buying records). If you can prove your stuff does, you're ahead.

Second, if you sign up with an OMD--like Soundclick, Whitby Shores, et al.--when you post something, it's date-stamped: the Website has a very public record of what date and what time it was put on line, and that it was done by you. It is real hard for someone to rip you off under those circumstances. (Most writers are not looking to rip people off, however--they're too busy promoting their own stuff, which they, like you, think is great. And record companies don't need to rip you off. They have plenty of ways to screw you legitimately if they want to.)

Third, yes, a studio is good, but I'd use it sparingly. I don't go to a studio with anything that's not going on a record. Stuff that is going on a record I will have recorded in a commercial studio with a real band--but I will still try to cut a deal, with (say) somebody who's trying to make a name for themselves as a sound engineer. Studio time can get a tad expensive, so I try to minimize both the time and the rate.

Fourth, a lot of people are sold on computer recording. I am not one of those, so don't expect any great pointers from me. I think you probably need a good soundcard (which I don't have). There is good software out there for cheap or free, but there is a learning curve, and it does take some time.

I have what's called in modern parlance a "DAW" (Digital Audio Workstation) on which I do all my home recording. Just a little 4-channel Tascam I picked up used from a fellow musician who was getting a new one. (There are frequent deals like that out there.) I would not consider anything I did on the Tascam to be salable--but I have to have something so I can get feedback from people, and this does okay. Yes, you can do the same sort of thing on a computer, I'm told.

That help? Lots of luck--and like a bunch of folks have said, welcome. You'll get a lot of good advice here. And feedback.

joe

• 2 months later...

For recording using a PC you could do a lot worse than look at Power Tracks Pro Audio from pgmusic.com. I bought a copy of Power tracks Pro Audio version 4 many many years ago and really enjoyed messing around with producing some quite good tracks.

I have just bought the latest version, version 12 and cannot believe the difference they have made. The good thing about this program is the cost in my opinion, only 49$.

So take a look at their site shown above and see what you think.