Your Ad Could Be Here

Need New Acoustic...taylor? Takamine? Etc

JulietX0x0

• Noob

Soo I eventually want to by myself a new acoustic. I know Taylors are reallly expensive, but so beautiful. Takamines look pretty sweet too. I want something unique looking(cool neck design, diffirent color or something :D ), not the average. SO far I know I want an acoustic/electric for sure. Any thoughts/advice? Anyone ever owned a Taylor or similar?

BTW I like to do simple chords to accompany my singing, wether its country or metal :)

Taylor's are cool.

I personally don't like their overtones but they are great guitars.

Great for singer's/ and plugging-in.

Martin is another brand which I like very much.

Takamine has some nice guitars that are quite affordable.

As far is unique, I guess maybe try the Dean Exotic series?

I think that's what its called.

I'm not a huge fan of their playability, personally, but we get some coming into my work once in a while, and they always have some crazy wood finishes and stuff

Juliet,

Yes I have owned a Taylor, along with many other brands.

I currently use a Takamine EGSF15SC for our live performances when I need an acoustic. Not a real expensive guitar but I can manipulate the sound to get what I want out of it.

My daughter uses a Taylor 514CE and loves it. The tone is a little heavy on the low end when running it through the sound system and we have to adjust for it.

We also use a Takamine 12 string and acoustic bass.

But, what you need to do is look at the best guitar in your price range.

I have bought a $100 Palmer guitar off the rack, to tinker with, at a music store and then set it up to play and it played as well as more expensive guitars and better than many. I even used it in a few live shows (as a hired gun) filling in for a friend in a bluegrass band. Sounded good. They couldn't believe it was a $100 guitar.

I'm not a real brand name type of player, I go by how a guitar feels in my hand. I have played a $10,000 Gibson that I wouldn't have given you $50 for to perform with. As a collectors item it is probably worth the money, but I didn't like the feel of it in my hands.

Go to a music store and play several guitars in your price range and choose one you feel comfortable with. One that feels the best in your hand. More expensive doesn't mean better.

To make my point, I can tell you a few months ago a guy (who shall remain nameless since I didn't ask before relating this story) who is one of Lorrie Morgan's band members, was showing me his custom made guitar he uses on stage. It really plays great, felt good in my hands and everything, but, he said his favorite guitar, out of the many he owns, is an old Yamaha acoustic guitar that cost a fraction of what most of his other guitars did (though it was a lot of money to him when he bought it).

Back to another brand that was mentioned. I have had a few Martin guitars, and they are very good guitars. Their tone is more on the high side. They don't typically carry much low end. I used them mainly for bluegrass and folk stuff.

Since it doesn't sound like your a lead player, yet, I would try and find one that leans toward the low side of the sound spectrum. It'll blend a little better with you playing and singing by yourself. Having a lower tone will allow your voice to come through better, especially if your gonna sing while playing.

Since your wanting to get an acoustic electric, make sure the electronics are decent. A dealer worth his/her salt will not sell you junk. Ask around for the most respectable instrument dealers in your area. I, personally, don't buy instruments online because I want to play them before I buy. Every guitar has a personality of its own, even if they are the same model from the same company as one you have played before.

After you get a guitar, you can make it unique. Have some custom inlays made for the fretboard. Their not too expensive and a good luthier can router out the fretboard and install them in a short time. You can also get a custom design for the pick guard and for around the sound hole. There are a lot of ways to make whatever guitar you choose unique. Plus, the wear you get with the hours of playing it along with "road wear" from packing it around will give it character.

Just my 2 cents....

max

Edited by maxtor2290

• 2 weeks later...

Taylor are nice but for playability I think Martins are better (I'm also very fond of Cort guitars and Tokai) - If you're going to get an acoustic, I'd probably attempt to push you in the direction of an electro acoustic... They don't really cost a whole lot more (Sometimes maybe less?) and the advantage is obvious, when you record with it you can use a microphone + the onboard pickup and really capture the tone of the guitar.

As for what make... going back to your original question, don't buy a guitar based on it's name. Ignore it completely. Just play the guitars in the store and eventually you'll find one you resonate with. That's the guitar you want. :)

Have a good day!

I have a Takamine EG 530SC, around $500.. Go to a Guitar Center, Sam Ash, or what ever you have around you. Just play alot of different axes. You'll know the right one, when you have it. I went to a Sam Ash, I played Martins, Taylors, Ovations, etc...

the Takamine I chose, sounded the best to me, for me. What is best for you does not have to have the most expensive logo on the head stock.

Jim