Jump to content

Your Ad Could Be Here

Terminology, What's It Called When You..

Recommended Posts

I think it's just called "a change in time-signature."

And here's the thing that I didn't "get" for a long, long time in music classes: changing the time-signature doesn't change the tempo of the song ... rather, it reflects a change in the way that the ear parses-out the notes into "measures," and how many notes and what kind of notes those measures are perceived to contain.

As far as I know, the reason why your ear perceives a difference is that the pattern of down-beats has changed. These are the notes ("one two three four" ... "one two three four five six") that you consciously or unconsciously emphasize slightly as you sing or play the phrases. When that happens, your ear starts looking for the new regular pattern ... the new time-signature.

Changes in signature are sometimes accompanied by changes in tempo (beats-per-minute), and if that occurs you'll see markings like "Accel.(erndo)" or "Rit.(ardo)" in the same area.

Edited by MikeRobinson
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

Your Ad Could Be Here

  • Current Donation Goals

    • Raised $1,040
  • Create New...

Important Information

By continuing to use our site you indicate acceptance of our Terms Of Service: Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy: Privacy Policy, our Community Guidelines: Guidelines and our use of Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.