Your Ad Could Be Here

What Techniques Do You Still Struggle With?

TapperMike

Mike,

I asked about an open string. I dont understand what you mean by an open note.

When I state 'open string ' I understand that it is damped at the nut. You explained this patiently several times. I dont need further iteration.

With respect, I dont think you understand what I am asking.

When I say...

How can dampening at the nut affect the following:

B string is fretted and held at 3rd fret (D) hammer on is at 5th fret (E), tap is introduced at 7th fret (F#) ?

If I understand you correctly, the above example wont work, even if dampening is used, because the the finger does not move from the 3rd fret while the hammer on and the tap occurs.

What I think you mean is this (assuming the guitarist is right handed), that you must let go of the string entirely where the tap occurs (so it is open but damped); that it cannot be already fretted by the left hand. This is what I am asking.

When it's all tapping both hands not just the left are involved in the tapping action. Lets for example say that you are only using your left hand (and you are a right hand guitarist( to tap. Because advanced tapping means you can tap any note with any finger on either hand.

So if your ring finger of your left hand is serving as a mute/support and then you try to tap with your pinky you are not going to get note resonance/attach. Sure you have effectively muted the "back string resonance but It's simply not going to be loud enough to ring clear

This is how I anticipate the use of a tap.

How can dampening at the nut affect the following:

B string is fretted and held at 3rd fret (D) hammer on is at 5th fret (E), tap is introduced at 7th fret (F#) ?

Will it work?

It works for the hammer on. Why wouldnt it work for the additional tap?

I have no interest in using both hands with this technique. I would use a keyboard instead.

In that instance it wouldn't be required. However true touch guitarists especially those who play with more then 6 strings are usually occupying their fingers elsewhere. Not using some type of a mute limits possiblilites for playing more then using one.

However true touch guitarists...

Ah, I have no aspiration to be one.

The simple example I have given is all that interests me for the present.

The thing is, I cant even get that to work. That is why I asked the question.

The way I have tried to use it, is just as a additional hammer on really. I dont know why it sounds weak or why it picks up the additional vibration.

(Its not as if the guitar knows which hand is employed right?)

The best I can explain it as.

The string vibrates on either side of the node when one taps it is less noticable on the lower notes of the string because there is less of a soundboard (fretboard) to accomodate the vibration. It's also less noticable when there is less force exerted on the node itself.

Adapting to any technique means leaving something of a previous technique behind. Just like if you are a finger picker and one day you decide you want to master alternate flat picking. You gain the speed of alternate picking single notes but lose the versatility of fingerpicking. Even if you "hybird" flat pick and fingerpick there are certain methods that can't be attained with flatpick in hand that a classical fingerstyle guitarists would have.

Now that sounds reasonable. It is what I experience & can relate to your explanation much better. I will try the tap closer to the left hand.

I actually both finger pick & flat pick (no not together). As already explained I will not cut my fingernails to enable better tapping. I have 42 years invested in my fingerstyle technique and I value it beyond anything tapping can offer me.

If it means I need to abandon the simple tap example Ive explained, then so be it, but I'll try for a while longer yet.

• 2 weeks later...

The best result I have had is to use the pick itself to provide the extra notes. It still sounds a bit wimpy with my sound setup, but can be heard ok.

It works perfectly with more gain, but that buggers up my sound, so its a no-go.

I'll give it a try on my next gig (next week) and report back.