Your Ad Could Be Here

Opportunity Knocks For Australian Lyricists !

Kel

Sorry, I'm not trying to alienate anyone outside Australia, but I just got wind of an opportunity that is happening in Australia, this month! (May 2013)

As part of a tour called Three Wise Monkeys, renowned lyricist, George Murphy will be joining another couple of people I've never heard of in a terrific opportunity for Australian songwriters to see this award winning songwriter live in his workshop.

I AM NOT AFFILIATED with either the tour organisers, the songsummit site or with George Murphy. I have learned a lot from his lectures I have seen on line, and wanted fellow Aussies to at least know about his tour.

His workshop runs around 5 hours, and half of that is critiqing songs by attendees!

For full details of the tour, visit http://www.songsummit.com.au/

I repeat, I have NO AFFILIATION with this tour or with the songsummit site, I am simply advising my fellow Aussie songwriters of the opportunity to see this guy while he is in the country.And his 5 hour workshop costs only $50!!!

Regards,

Kel

Edited by Kel

Hi Kel, thanks for letting us in Aussie know about this. I have been madly reading Murphy's Laws of Songwriting since seeing this post and REALLY liking what I'm reading. Not sure if I'm ready for a public critique session but even as a country writer he clearly had lots to offer all songwriters so still considering attending. Could always sit on my little ditties and just listen, I guess.

But cheers mate and thanks for the tip.

Hi Kel, thanks for letting us in Aussie know about this. ... but even as a country writer he clearly had lots to offer all songwriters ...

My friend, you make this sound as if it's a bad thing!

Kel

PS Listening to your music right now!

Lol Kel, that was a politician's moment, it all came out wrong! What I meant was that I don't normally write country music, and he does, but his Laws relate to all genres of music. Ironically, I am becoming more interested in country as I get older, and liking it more and more. Can't say I'd be any good at writing in that style but willing to learn. Good pickup.

Some of your music is almost country as it is. All you need to do is start and finish your licks on the tonic note of the chord you are playing over, and flatten the third, and whallah! Country!

You had my foot tappin' along earlier today while I was at work. I left you a message on your website suggesting we get together for a beer sometime

I was going to attend a songwriting workshop with Jacques Gentil on Sunday 26th, until I told him Ralph White was in town that day. He decided to stay in Melbourne and run his workshop on line. He runs Magesongs Publishing and Songwriting School out of Melbourne. He encouraged me to go see him actually.

Cheers Kel. As I said, really enjoying the Murphy vibe. Thanks for checking my website, I'll admit it's pretty lonely out there in www-land. Now how about reviewing my two songs on here for me, would appreciate your structural analysis and I'm finding it a bit hard to get them noticed. Probably need a cuter profile photo...

Hey guys,

I just returned home from the seminar and it was a blast. While a lot of the content wasn't new to me, hearing it live drives home a powerful message. His insights and anecdotes were worth the admission alone!

The "presentation" part of the event lasted around 90 minutes and was full on! He made a statement, and backed it up with examples and stats. 

The second half of the event was an opportunity for a random number of participants to receive a song critique. The random sample was 100%. Outstanding! He kept saying he'd be our worst enemy, but in truth, his focus, his perception and his advice made him our best friend.

Your's truly received a warm critique from a song I have presented here, and the rewrite starts tonight! But as Ralph says, "...hits aren't written, they're re-written!" 

The casual drinks afterwards were a great way to network too. Get your tickets!

He signed a copy of his book for me, and I gots me a hug! Bromance!

Cheers,

Kel

(I am not affiliated with this event organisers.)